Low carb appitite

Options
eastjc
eastjc Posts: 32 Member
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am doing 1500cal 7 carb or 1800cal 10 carb based on if I go work out at the gym for an hour. So far, either way I'm doing 1 to 2 miles fast walking with my dog.

I'm pretty new to low caring and my nutritionist says I'm doing great. (it was his rec about the 1800 on gym days)

I usually have a slim fast shake in the am. A low carb wrap with cheese, roast beef, and spicy mustard (just a little) dinner is 4 to 8 Oz meat, a 4 cup salad with veggies, and a small potato or some rice.

My main question is... Some days I almost can't eat 1500 calories and mfp yells at me and some days I get hunger cravings at night pretty bad. I'd say 1 to 2 nights a week. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is there something besides a whole bag of pretzels that could curb the urge to munch? I've done 100 cal packs of popcorn but end up wanting 4 of them or something like that. I do carrots too but I'll do a whole bag of them.

Not sure what I can do for munch able low carb snacks besides the above.

Don't say celery. Makes me want to charf on my keypad...

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people suggest celery sticks!!!

I find the less starches and more fat we eat, the less we crave.

The first suggestions to me for same problems were fat bombs, nuts, and fatty cheeses.

I started adding nuts in during the day and fat bomb at night or first thing I eat.

Now I'm cooking adding in an extra tablespoon or two of olive oil and butter with meats and egg.... Made an 857 calorie lunch the other day!!!

Hope these help!!
  • EelkoDoesKeto
    EelkoDoesKeto Posts: 72 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Im confused, please forgive me if I misunderstood what you wrote.... and I mean the following in a completely positive way...

You are doing low carb and eating popcorn? Last I checked popcorn is 74mg carbs.... They are low calory but not low carb!! You get better bang for buck from other things.... plus they are not terribly filling.

Also, carrots are high in carbs too... relatively speaking, healthy, yes... low carb, no...

Slim fast shakes have 25Gr of carbs in them. Not sure what your target is for low carbs but for me that is already over my daily target.

If you want to eat low carb, eat a sausage, or some eggs.... meats and fats.... stuff with low to no carbs... Also a lot of nuts are good, seeds are better (just watch out, some nuts are not really nuts, like cashews), Macadamia nuts, walnuts etc..

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Do you like steaks? I'll have that with a little sour cream or butter. Stick with meat, seafood, and dairy like sour cream, butter, cream cheese, heavy cream, and low carb cheese.
  • eastjc
    Options
    For the popcorn it's 4g carb for a 100 calorie bag. Baby carrots is 8g for 3oz. The slim fast shakes I use are 1g net per shake and 20g protein.

I don't like nuts for the fact that 2 handfuls is 1/3rd of my calories for the day and does nothing for hunger. I'd rather eat 4 cups of salad. I do like nuts, I'd rather just be able to feel full than be constantly hungry.

I did make a pan of egg wrap mix yesterday. 9 servings. Mexican cheese 1 c, hot pork sausage 16oz, 10 eggs, large sweet onion. Put it on a 5g carb wrap with salsa. 327 cal per serving plus 60 for the wrap.

I can't do low carb ketosis though. I was dx as t2 diabetic last year so going full ketosis is dangerous for me. So I try to stick at 7net carbs or lower, 10net on gym days.

Thanks!
  • eastjc
    Options
    Do you like steaks? I'll have that with a little sour cream or butter. Stick with meat, seafood, and dairy like sour cream, butter, cream cheese, heavy cream, and low carb cheese.

Yup I do. Mostly get boneless pork chops or chicken though due to price. I unfortunately have to stay away from shellfish because those yummy bastads trigger my gout. :(
  • Keliz1173
    Keliz1173 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Some low carb snacks ideas - herbed whipped cream cheese with some natural/nitrate free deli ham or turkey. I make roll ups with them. Also cut up veggies and guacamole. Sometimes I just eat half an avocado with some kind of tex-mex seasoning on top - it's quick, filling, good fats and fibre. Hard boiled eggs are quick, nutrient dense fuel too.

My partner will sometimes have a glass of unsweetened Silk coconut milk or cashew milk at night if he's hungry.

Good luck!

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    If you like nuts, I wouldn't worry about the calories, because that's kind of what you're looking for. No appetite...I use nuts as fillers, because they're not filling, cheap, and lower carb.

When I've checked out your diary, your food choices are awesome. Just not getting the calories needed. I buy 32 servings of nuts for $3.00 at a grocery outlet. Come home separate out the servings into little bags. One little bag (1/4 cup each) has 160 calories. So one or two bags a day helps increase my calories even when I have zero appetite.
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options

I can't do low carb ketosis though. I was dx as t2 diabetic last year so going full ketosis is dangerous for me. So I try to stick at 7net carbs or lower, 10net on gym days.

Check out Dr Westman and Dr Jason Fung on YouTube. Both use keto diet to treat patients with T2D. Your meds do have to be carefully monitored because blood sugar will be lower in ketosis. I think you are confused between ketosis and ketoacidosis. They are not the same.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Some days I almost can't eat 1500 calories and mfp yells at me and some days I get hunger cravings at night pretty bad. I'd say 1 to 2 nights a week. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is there something besides a whole bag of pretzels that could curb the urge to munch?

First, it's okay to be over some days and under others. What matters is that it averages out over time.

So if you feel like you're force-feeding yourself to get to 1400 most days, then 1 or 2 days, you're really hungry and you eat even 2000 calories, you're still coming out on track.

To cut the carb cravings, eat more fat, salt, and protein (and experiment to get the ratios right). Instead of reaching for pretzels or popcorn, grab some cheese. Given that you mention popcorn and pretzels, specifically, I wonder if you're not craving the salt on them, not the things, themselves.

Sit with your cravings for a bit and try to identify what it is that you're actually seeking. Is it the salt? Is it the crunch? Is it the comfort? Is it the "entertainment"? Then work from there.
    and a small potato or some rice.

This might be derailing you. I know for me, if I eat certain things, it prompts cravings later on. Try going a month without any kind of starch like this. Get any carbs from non-starchy sources and see if that makes a difference in your cravings and hunger levels and whatnot. Then, if you feel you need/want to, introduce them mindfully, one at a time, and see how your body responds.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hunger isn't just physiological, it's social, mental, environmental...lots of things go into making us feel like we're hungry. When I first started on this path I would make myself wait at least an hour after I felt "hungry" and I learned a lot of those hunger signals weren't my body actually telling me it needed calories they were other things that I interpreted as hunger. Might be worth exploring.

i'm 4+ years into a low carb way of eating and I still have days where I am more hungry or less hungry. Like others have mentioned, it really is an average over time. Some days MFP won't let me close my diary and I just don't worry to much about it. I honestly log and so it's all there to look back on. Higher and lower calorie days.
  • Jessimom2
    Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What are you craving? Something salty? Maybe need to have some broth or electrolytes? A pickle if those sounds bad?

Sometimes when/after I walk a lot I feel hungry, but really just thirsty. If I drink a cup or two of water it goes away.

And yes. There are many days, especially with IF that I feel like I’m having to stuff food down to reach 1500 calories!
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I snack on olives, gherkins, cheese, boiled eggs, jerky, tuna, peanut butter. If you are hungry then eat and if not then don't. It will all even out eventually.
  • eastjc
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I'll give that nut idea a try too. Looks like I need to invest in some plastic bags from dollar tree!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I like pork rinds -- chicharonnes-- they are salty and crunchy but 0 carbs. Also, you might check out this Dr. Westman list of lc foods, tried and true! good luck to you. https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-content/2014/10/no_sugar_no_starch_diet.pdf
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    A salty cup of broth is great and the chicharrones will take care of crunch and salty flavour. I do like spicy hot dill pickles too. Give your tastebuds a shock and that can derail a craving. You can always dip your raw veggies in a creamy salty (homemade so you don't get sugar & other crap) dip using full fat greek yogourt or sour creme, mixed with some mayo, salt & favorite spices.
  • eastjc
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    I like pork rinds -- chicharonnes-- they are salty and crunchy but 0 carbs. Also, you might check out this Dr. Westman list of lc foods, tried and true! good luck to you. https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-content/2014/10/no_sugar_no_starch_diet.pdf

Awesome thanks. I made some bags of walnuts and bags of low carb 8g cranberry mix. I did 2 servings per bag cause I'm not putting 2 half walnut pieces in a whole bag by itself lol.