Testing Effects of Diet Soda

Options
gwendyprism
gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
edited July 2019 in Social Groups
Anyone done any testing on how diet soda effects BG and ketone levels? I would be interested in your results.
I just got a ketomojo meter so this morning I decided to test it as I'm definitely a big diet soda (especially coke zero) drinker. I'm always seeing articles about how bad these are for you, but they don't seemed to be backed up by good studies (associations but not causation.)
So this morning I tested my blood glucose and ketones then drank most of a 12 oz can of coke zero. Thirty minutes after finishing it, I retested. Here are my results. Obviously not what I was expecting.

Before (fasting) BG 90; ketones .7
30 minutes after consuming come zero BG 89; ketones 1.2. To say the least, I was surprised.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    what's the margin of error on your ketomojo for bg and ketones?

those readings might not be any change at all
  • Susabella627
    Susabella627 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what sweetner is in Diet coke, but I did find this video equally as interesting...
    https://youtu.be/lSJvIu5jRNw
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    what's the margin of error on your ketomojo for bg and ketones?

those readings might not be any change at all

Not sure but even no change is surprising. I've been seeing a lot of info over the years that suggests even artificial sweeteners don't have calories, they still may effect blood sugar levels.

• Jessimom2
    Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the type of artificial sweetener. And they can affect insulin levels without affecting blood sugar. Which is a bit scary.
  • Jessimom2
    Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Sorry just been reading The Obesity Code and all over insulin levels now lol
  • TheConsoleWars
    TheConsoleWars Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I’m a paramedic with access to a glucometer at all times! I’ve tested my before/after Diet Pepsi BGL probably a dozen times in the last six months and not once has it ever affected my blood sugar. I don’t have a ketone monitor (they’re wonderful, but I just find them so dang expensive) so I’ve never seen if it affects my ketone production, but I’m losing weight like crazy eating a keto diet, so I’m guessing there’s very little impact for me personally.

And to be honest, every youtube video I’ve watched on the subject, where people do before/after tests has shown that diet soda has negligible to no effect on their BGL or ketone levels. I’m sure everyone is different, but I haven’t met the different yet!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't touch a zero calorie soda if I was dehydrated, and it was the only thing to drink.

Years ago in nutrition class, we were taught it is the most toxic substance you can put in your body. The internet was fairly new (encyclopedia of information) no blogs yet, no opinions, no YouTube, no social media...

I remember reading different studies by several research institutions that concurred with what I was taught in my college nutrition class.

Fast forward... Internet changed, Monsanto bought the formula for aspartame, Monsanto corporate lawyers all went to work for FDA, all studies and research I read are gone, wiped from the web... Replaced with "FDA deems aspartame safe, anyone who disagrees is a paranoid conspiracy theorist."

I don't want to argue and debate. I just wanted to put my experience. I honestly don't care if grown adults want to live off twenty cans a day and experience no current negative effects, it's a free world.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18627677/

https://www.sussex.ac.uk/news/media-centre/press-releases/id/49143

Erik Millstone's actual paper he wrote is very good too.

I did get kicked out of ketosis using sucralose...I thought it'd be safer and really, really wanted my coffee creamer.