Like Minded Lushes - Summer 2019

Options

Replies

• SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Gwen, there are many intermittent fasts out there. Some incorporate entire days of no eating throughout the week...eat 2 days, fast, eat 3 days, fast, etc. A quick Google will bring those results up for you.

For me, I do best with a 14-16 hour fast overnight. Lots of studies out there showing the health benefits of this...how your body positively responds/heals, etc.

For weight loss: I stop eating anything by 7pm and don't eat again until 10am. I do have coffee. Between 10am and 7pm I limit my carbs to under 100g/day and total calories around 12-1500. I try to up the fiber as well. The time you choose to not eat doesn't really matter but you need a 14 hr stretch. I often include wine in my calories.

Even when I'm not necessarily in a weightloss mode, if I just fast those hours, I can pretty much eat whatever I want and still maintain or even drop a little. Stopping at 7pm and skipping breakfast changed everything for me.

Feel free to message me with any questions! Your granddaughter can help you since you're ready for bed by 6 and won't eat!! :)

• gwenm4
    gwenm4 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Syd, I have heard of the overnight, I think. Will check it out. Thanks! I am pretty consistently around 1200 calories, and am going to limit carbs for the next month and see if that moves the needle. Let me just say, menopause sucks. Have NEVER had to think about weight until recent years. Appreciate all the tips!
  • SoCalWoman
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I hear ya on the menopause thing, Gwen! Altho I've always had to manage my weight (hence my ridiculous login streak) it became much worse when the big M started making an appearance :| I started tracking carbs a few years back which definitely helps (slowly) but intermittent fasting has been the only thing that worked for me almost immediately showing results. The best part of it for me is that I don't feel deprived. No food group is off limits. I can drink wine. Probably cutting things off at 7 is the most difficult part of it all (late night cravings), skipping breakfast is pretty easy for me as long as I have my coffee. So it's become a lifestyle change, not a diet. Socializing evenings can be challenging, but I just jump back on the schedule and all's good.
    I hope it works out for you!
    P.S. I started back on it strictly after being in LA and was up 3 pounds. I'm down 2 as of today :)
  • gwenm4
    Options
    Syd, I'm a total breakfast person, but I am going to give this a try starting tonight. I HATE the deprivation thing. I think that it's ineffective as then when you do have permission, you go crazy and overboard. Ok, me. :) So I'm totally going to try this. Thanks so much!
  • ryzeman
    ryzeman Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Three trips to the dentist in a week. Ugh. I hope to get back on track now. Have a great weekend all!
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    the dentist sucks hairy donkey balls, Gary :/
    happy weekend lushes!!
  • gwenm4
    Options
    Happy Monday, lushes! Wishing you all a fabulous week!
  • gwenm4
    Options
    So last week I did super with the zeros and this week I've tossed that out the window! But it's been a fabulous week so far. Weather has cooled off and I was even in the hot tub this morning - in July! Just a few more weeks till my birthday trip to Colorado and I'm getting pumped.

Syd, I've been doing the fasting since Sunday and will check in on the scale one week in. Fingers crossed!
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    Well the heat finally showed up here, along with the humidity. It's been over 110 in the desert where we'll be moving to. I'm trying to imagine how I'm going to live in that without becoming a total b!tchyb!tch >:) My exercise has been horrible. The diet so/so.

Attending a military honors burial at sea on Friday for my cousin. Should be a beautiful ceremony.

Hope the scale is your friend, Gwen!!
  • gwenm4
    Options
    Syd, ick on the heat. In GA, we get the humidity, which makes me super b!tchy. Happy for the reprieve this week. I'll let you know what the scales do, but lately they have not been very friendly.

• ryzeman
    Options
    This week has been a toss up. Made my walking goals and did well during the day but totally went ape-s&it crazy during the evenings. We'll see what my "friend" the scales has to say tomorrow.

Sorry about the heat Syd. And 110 is too hot! And I don't care how "dry" it is. A pool is a must for your retirement home!!!

Good luck with the scales Gwen!
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Crossing my fingers for you Gwen! I know how mean that scale can be, I hope yours is friendlier!! :blush:
    Syd - ugh, that is nasty heat! :open_mouth:

Did pretty well with alcohol this week, 2 drinks on Wednesday, the rest of the days were zeros however, tomorrow we are going to a summer beer festival...could be dangerous!! :joy::open_mouth:
    Over the last year, I've been slowly transitioning to a vegetarian diet...the last two weeks, I've been eating mostly vegan. I read a lot of data about a vegan diet being able to help with migraines and while eating vegetarian has helped, I'm cutting out dairy now to see if it can eliminate the headaches completely... :smiley:
  • gwenm4
    Options
    Ann, that's great (all those zeros last week) I did well the week before but last week was bad. Our two youngest were here for dinner this weekend and so there was a lot of wine flowing. And then yesterday as well so trying for at least 4 zeros this week.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    Hi Lushes, Thought I would pop in and say "Hi".

A few shout outs...

Syd...110 degrees! Yikes! The bright side...hmmm...can't think of any. Thank God for AC!

Gary, Three trips in a week! That's a lot of laughing gas :)

Gwen, Where in GA are you from? I am in the Buford/Suwanee/Lawrencville area.

oh... Hi everyone!
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    Hey stranger!!! So good to see you. What's been going on with you?

All good here. Back on track after our family gathering and the burial at sea. It was a beautiful day (and boat) I always forget just how touristy San Diego is during the summer though...the crowds down at the harbor were insane. That is one part I won't miss after our move.
  • gwenm4
    Options
    wolf23 (sorry, couldn't find your name!) I'm living in Blue Ridge now, but we lived in Lawrenceville for 15 years! Small world.

Hope everyone is having a great week. I'm kind of on track - zero Monday, 2 yesterday. Planning on zeros today and tomorrow and continuing to do the intermittent fasting. Syd, I skipped the scale as I wasn't feeling it... Going to weigh in before my trip next week and then will probably have to restart the fasting when I get back. I'll still have two weeks b4 the wedding so should be good. So far, I haven't gained so...

I was telling a friend today how I've been doing everything I can to lose those 10 pounds and not an ounce and my husband dropped 15 just by breathing I think. She said "That's great! That means you didn't have anything you needed to lose. You're perfect just as you are." Now, that's a great way to look at it. :)
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    Gwen, Blue Ridge is so beautiful and next to so many wineries :)
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Gwen - I love friends that always find the bright side :)

I had one drink Monday and 1 last night so not too bad so far... Next weekend is my husbands birthday though, so that always entails going away for a weekend trip and lots of drinks typically... :wink:
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    Having a good week exercise and diet wise. My crazy older brother is in town next week so there will be drinking. I'm trying to be good until then.
  • ryzeman
    Options
    We had a great week at the beach with friends. Great weather, quiet, good times.

Looks like you all are doing well. Nice to see Wolf (Diane?) back!