Keto and mood swings

eduk80
eduk80 Posts: 3 Member
I’ve been on Keto a little over 2 weeks. I think I’ve passed the “keto flu” stage but I’m super moody.

I know I’m cranky and sometimes this last 2 weeks I’ve been mad at everything with no reason.

Is this normal? Does it go away? Anything I can do to make it less intense?

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    Not for me, quite the opposite.

Super, over the top, happy and energetic.

My fiance and daughter keep saying it's like being on a natural high. Significant increase in fats changes the hormones, usually for the better.

Are you eating enough calories? Consuming enough fats and proteins? Not eating enough can cause irritability.

• Smoochy89
    Smoochy89 Posts: 4 Member
    Craving carbs? Cravings makes me moody it takes 3 weeks for my mood to settle down.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Are you supplementing enough sodium.
    Low sodium will affect many many things including mood.
    yldhspirozhg.jpeg
  • crossfitterwahine
    crossfitterwahine Posts: 61 Member
    eduk80 wrote: »
    I’ve been on Keto a little over 2 weeks. I think I’ve passed the “keto flu” stage but I’m super moody.

I know I’m cranky and sometimes this last 2 weeks I’ve been mad at everything with no reason.

Is this normal? Does it go away? Anything I can do to make it less intense?

There are studies out there linking those with serotonin issues having mood swings and depression on low carb diets. I had a difficult time with this when I was on Whole30 and had to add a little sweet potato to my diet each day. I have been cranky this time doing Keto, but after a month, it is mostly better.