Fasting/keto

Options
arios82
arios82 Posts: 9 Member
While doing intermittent fasting when it time to eat do you all stay on keto centered foods? Same with the carb intake staying within 30 grams or less?

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Yes,

I end up IF 16/8. Almost always first thing eaten for me is a fat bomb or an egg/veggie/meat like a meat and veggies omelet.

Then a light dinner with high protein, like seared steak with peppers and cheese.
  • Jessimom2
    Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes. That is what I do. It makes fasting easier. I think you are less hungry when you are keto. I think the carbs will make you hungrier.

There is another Intermittent Fasting group on MyFitnessPal. I belong to them too and they are great with fasting questions. I’m on a 5 day fast now - first one. But typically I do a slightly modified 20:4 fast. The last half of my work day I have a coffee with butter in the four hours prior to breaking my complete fast at 4pm -8pm. I started keto and got adjusted to it first though. Then worked up from 12:12, to 10:14, then 16:8. Then was like, I can do 20:4 now. So why not. It is hard to get yourself to eat when keto and IF. You feel like you are pushing yourself to eat the minimum calories. At least that is my experience :) it takes up to 10 days to adjust to IF. You will get hungry when your body is used to eating at first. So just a heads up!
  • arios82
    arios82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Thanks fornthe info. I’ll def start out slow.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Yup - I do 16/8 minimum, 18/6 usually, and often end up doing 20/4 just because I'm not hungry.

I definitely stick to my designated calories & keto level carbs inside my eating window.

It sounds like you are on the right track - good luck!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I IF quite frequently whether in weight loss or maintenance mode. About 4 days a week on average. I stick to my eating plan when I break my fast but when I break my fast I'm conscious to eat to satiate in that first meal. What I try to avoid is a mini or small meal as I'm breaking my fast.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 every day because it fits how my body feels (I'm never hungry til about 4 pm-ish) and sometimes throw in a 24-72 hr fast if I feel like it. I generally eat at around 50g carb/day.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't follow any particular schedule but find that I naturally fast. Typically I have my first coffee between 10 and noon. Sometimes I eat a small nibble of something or other between 2 and 4 PM, and then I generally eat a meal anywhere between 7 and 11 PM. Yeah, I'm a weird one and am a natural night owl that seldom dozes off before 3 - 5 AM.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I don't follow any particular schedule but find that I naturally fast. Typically I have my first coffee between 10 and noon. Sometimes I eat a small nibble of something or other between 2 and 4 PM, and then I generally eat a meal anywhere between 7 and 11 PM. Yeah, I'm a weird one and am a natural night owl that seldom dozes off before 3 - 5 AM.

@shelbydodgeguy

Exactly the same for me!!!! That is exactly my schedule too... Not intentional schedule.

• shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @shelbydodgeguy

Exactly the same for me!!!! That is exactly my schedule too... Not intentional schedule.

And I just finished my meal about a half hour ago. Currently rounding out my second coffee of the day.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    @shelbydodgeguy

And I just finished my meal about a half hour ago. Currently rounding out my second coffee of the day.

Lol yep, just finished second coffee. Ate our first meal, one chicken breast in cheese sauce, around 3 pm... Haven't thought about dinner yet... Not hungry yet!
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,964 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love IF! I thought it really helped me lose a lot of my belly fat when I was doing it a few years back. That was with a regular low calorie CICO plan.

I just started Keto this past Monday. I have never been a real fan of breakfast, so I find it easy to start eating with lunch and finish with dinner. Being on Keto also has made me less hungry.
  • jwm5411
    jwm5411 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been on Keto for some time...try to keep carbs below 20 grams per day. Added in IF over the last week every other day. I'm only eating a keto meal once a day generally late afternoon. I do get a cup of coffee with one teaspoon of MCT oil early in the morning and just after Noon. I have checked my glucose before and after the coffee/MCT oil and found no glucose spike...in fact it goes down. I believe that implies no insulin spike. I can't do without coffee and this really makes the low points easier. Amazed how easy IF is during ketosis. Workouts are great...more energy than ever.