Help - IBS/Easy FODMAP ideas

loobylou884
loobylou884 Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2019 in Social Groups
Hi, despite eating healthy and gym session unfortunately IBS reared its ugly head and I am now bigger then before, I have been told to reduce the normal food items and go by FODMAP to see improvement any ideas for cheap/easy meals/recipes. I loved my beans/lentils etc.

Replies

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Check Pinterest. There are tons of ideas and recipies for every WOE(way of eating) out there. Then you can save them and make a sort of meal/diet plan!
  • JenniferPapuga
    JenniferPapuga Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in a similar boat, but I do not have IBS I have other issues. However, I am finding it hard too to lose weight and eat a higher carb or refined foods diet right now. One thing that has been a big help is this probiotic drink called Dahlicious Cashew milk yogurt drink... It sounds gross but is very good! I also take 2 other probiotics at night. This has helped my system from freaking out so much. I have an English muffin in the morning and I try to do protein but my system is not tolerating it well so I've been using a supplement. I even do cream of wheat with half a banana in it when I feel like my stomach needs something in it but it won't kill my belly... I also find that peppermint and camomile tea helps and a little honey if you can tolerate it. I also sometimes pretty much do the brat diet... some people find this crazy.. but there are weeks I can't keep anything in down or tolerated, when its that bad I stick to overcooked rice made with chicken broth, I also get the banana baby food pouches they have been a lifesaver! and I get better than bullion chicken and we add fine egg noodles to it.(not a lot) It is very soothing helps hydrate you and is easy on the belly. I hope some of this helps, as I can only speak about my food choice. I have lost some weight and it has taken longer but I'm headed in the right direction. Best of luck! (PS. I know not everything I eat is food maps but it has really helped me on the days that I'm really struggling!)
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Despite eating whole clean and healthy, my daughter and I were still having IBS. My daughter has Crohn's and I have a lymphatic cystic disease, both come with IBS. Always bloated up...24/7 bloat and discomfort.

We observe a holiday of Unleavened Bread. This year we did a week of no bread and no grains.

My bloat disappeared for the week, my daughter's significantly decreased.

After week was over, returned to bread and grains... That's when we realized, after a week of no discomfort and pain, starchy carbs were our enemy.

After much research for a couple of months, we decided to try keto for our medical issues. So far, so good. Bloat and most other IBS symptoms decreased.

I've also already dropped over 12 inches off my stomach in the first month and a half... Stubborn weight gain that came with my disease. I posted pictures in success stories (general forums). The weight loss seems almost unbelievable to even myself.

I know not everything works the same for everyone. But the keto group on here is full of people who eat that way for various medical reasons.

Good luck.