Newly diagnosed

Options
Donna48s
Donna48s Posts: 2 Member
Hi guys , got diagnosed a couple of months back and still finding my feet .
How many grams of carbs should I be having a day ?

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Donna48s wrote: »
    Hi guys , got diagnosed a couple of months back and still finding my feet .
    How many grams of carbs should I be having a day ?

I say monitor BG. You will see what works and what doesn't. I keep mine under 20.
  • LouVee186000
    LouVee186000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think since I was diagnosed earlier this year I've done nothing but read. Trying to learn all I can so I know what I'm doing. Along the way I discovered this book, "Bright Spots and Landmines: The Diabetes Guide I Wish Someone Had Handed Me." It's inexpensive and it's short and to the point. The author is Type 1, but he gets very specific about how he does things which I appreciated when I was just starting out. This author also writes for diaTribe, a site I've found very helpful too.

Hope that helps some!

• BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, this is going to vary by individual. I've had success with low carb (<100g). Sometimes, I go over that, but always try and stay under 60g per meal even if I'm cheating. When I come off the Metformin, that might not be low enough.

Lots of variables:
    Why are you diabetic? Insulin resistance or not producing enough insulin.
    Lifestyle: high carb diet, overweight, sedentary, combination of those.
  • HazelMayes
    HazelMayes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I seem to do best if I stay between 50-80 carbs. Below 50 and my ketones go up to “seek medical attention” levels and above 80, my glucose numbers are too high
  • Donna48s
    Donna48s Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks all x
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I was told by my dietician 45g per meal and 15 per snack. But, as mentioned, everyone is different. Ask your doctor why you're diabetic, then try and get an appointment with a dietician.