Is it normal??

riniblue
riniblue Posts: 5 Member
Is it normal to feel really sick the first day starting the diet? I’m only on day two and since yesterday I haven’t been wanting to eat anything just cause my stomach keeps turning I’m not sick but I don’t know what it is.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    edited August 2019
    Try upping your Electrolytes. Drink salty broth (boullion) or zero carb Gatorade or make your own ketoade (water, water flavoring, 1/4 tsp salt, dash of Lite Salt or NuSalt)
    There are many symptoms of what they call the "keto flu." But that's a misnomer. Keto flu is electrolyte imbalance. Nausea is one of the symptoms.

• belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Are you crashing into Keto (going from full carb to little to none)? If so don't do that. If you are gradually moving into lowering processed carbs and have these issues research remedies for the "keto flu", usually it's sodium related.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Yes, it's normal. What's already been suggested will help.

I went from (okay no judgements here) probably over 600-700 grams a day to 50 grams of carbs for the first 3 days, then dropped to 25 for a couple of days, then to under 20.

Felt horrible the first few days!! Body goes into shock without all of the glucose. And my boyfriend, daughter, and I, all three, experienced having to stay close to a bathroom for the first week.

When you start breaking down the stored glucose you lose a lot of water and electrolytes.

Upping water intake, sodium, potassium, and magnesium the first couple of weeks really helps.

But once the initial shock, first few days, is over...the energy and general feeling should be awesome!!!

If you stick it out, you won't regret it. Also make sure eating enough fats and proteins. Don't drop calories too low. It's tricky because appetite gets lost. Adding a lot of things like olive oil, avocados, eggs, butter, nuts can help.

Good luck!!!

• Emmapatterson1729
    edited August 2019
    Stole this from Sunny_Bunny_

But it's a very good reference, I took a screenshot of to have on my phone.

bohepgkdc4fp.png

Also I like this article for it's food references.

https://drbubbs.com/blog/2017/1/top-3-mineral-deficiencies-on-a-ketogenic-diet-and-how-to-fix-it
  • riniblue
    Awesome thank you i’m thinking it probably didn’t help yesterday I only ate like 600 cal with food I just wasn’t really hungry. And I went from a normally high carb filled diet too I think at most I ate yesterday was 20 or 30 carbs. I’m starting to feel a bit better after I drink a couple things of coconut water no sugar added and ate some pickles
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited August 2019
    Way up calories! Calories=energy. Lack of calories/energy can definitely contribute to feeling rough and run down.

I don't know your food preferences (vegetarian, vegan, kosher, etc) but adding a crap load of oils to foods at first helps get calories in.

I find making a one egg (with heavy cream or half and half beaten in) dish with added 2 servings of cheese, a tablepoon of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil plus veggies and/or meat...I can make one little plate of food 700-900 calories.

I've had to play with food and calories to get them in.
  • riniblue
    I’ve been doing a lot better today on the calories though I did eat a bit more carbs then I did yesterday I’m gonna work on bringing it down a little slower I think
  • Emmapatterson1729
    For us, it wasn't so much the food that was extremely high carb... Yes we ate potatoes, breads and rice. But most of our carbs were coming in through fruit juices.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    edited August 2019
    @Emmapatterson1729 no reason to feel bad about that carb jump. i think that is probably what a high percentage of people are eating standard. i think i am jealous that you had an actual number to calculate against :wink: i am sure i was at least that much, but i was not counting all the fruit i was eating at the time (coated with sugar to make it palatable, of course)

@riniblue i think the approach of either cold turkey or tapering is a personal decision. once i figured out that keto may help with my weight loss (which it did) and fat loss (which it has), i was one of the ones that went cold turkey. for me, though, the risk of "keto flu" was null. all the descriptions of it matched my daily life for 15+ years; so, if it could make that better (plus allow me to break my plateau? why not). but if that is _not_ your norm (which is the impression i get from a lot of people as i read about how to do this successfully), tapering may be better. as with all things, your n=1 is the best way to figure out how to make it work.

i have stayed keto, even through my current plateau, because of the energy and how well i feel. it does get better.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    @zanyterp

Thanks. After a day of cutting carbs, we went through our old food we weren't going to touch again and did the calculations into MFP of what a regular day of consumption looked like.

After reading a few labels of our favorite things (all carb loaded), we were curious just how many carbs we'd been consuming.

We did a couple of different day's scenarios... Ended up 600-over 1000 a day. That was kind of the wake up call that got us a little more serious. ;)
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    When I first started keto my appetite disappeared for a short time. Not uncommon at all.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Are you eating fat bombs and drinking butter coffee and stuff like that.
    Probably overload if you are. Plus, if you’re trying to lose weight you’re better off not loading up too high on fat. That’s a common mistake.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Who?

I have to fill in with fats to get calories... Protein is way too filling and I can't get enough calories from protein alone because of how filling it is.

I don't do the butter coffee, but have been adding olive oil (mostly), butter, cheese, and/or creams to everything I consume and adding fat bombs intentionally for extra calories.

I try to get 1300-1650 calories a day, but was struggling daily to get 1300 in before adding a lot of fats. Now coming in at 1300 much easier.

I've dropped over 12 inches off my stomach and over 3 pants sizes down in less than 2 months of eating this way. Didn't intend to lose this fast, but eating this way is definitely working for me.

My daughter and boyfriend have also lost significant inches eating this way with me.

My biggest concern with the way we're eating, is how to transform to maintenance. My daughter is already getting too thin, she has upped her carbs and calories but still losing.

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member

My biggest concern with the way we're eating, is how to transform to maintenance. My daughter is already getting too thin, she has upped her carbs and calories but still losing.

I have been in maintenance for over a year now. I have stayed keto and have stuck with the higher protein version of things I found worked better for me. I track calories and upped those to maintain. Today I had roughly 50% P and 50% F. Carbs were 1%.

Last July was when my doctor told me I had lost enough weight and needed to figure out maintenance. This July at the the appointment, his scales said I was just a couple of tenths of a pound off last years weight, and that was right after I came back from a vacation.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited August 2019
    2t9nty wrote: »

I have been in maintenance for over a year now. I have stayed keto and have stuck with the higher protein version of things I found worked better for me. I track calories and upped those to maintain. Today I had roughly 50% P and 50% F. Carbs were 1%.

Last July was when my doctor told me I had lost enough weight and needed to figure out maintenance. This July at the the appointment, his scales said I was just a couple of tenths of a pound off last years weight, and that was right after I came back from a vacation.

@2t9nty

I was hoping to play with higher protein levels soon. Was going to drop a few more pounds doing what I'm doing. Then change up macros a little.

I still don't know how to incorporate higher proteins...I eat meat/or egg with every meal. When we ate carbs, prior to keto, could eat four pieces of chicken with mashed potatoes, flour-based gravy, biscuit (or two), Mac and cheese, Cole slaw and/or baked beans. Now, literally one little piece of baked chicken stuffs us!

Don't understand why cutting carbs changed our appetites so drastically, but it did.

• shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member

Don't understand why cutting carbs changed our appetites so drastically, but it did.

Over a year in, and I still have zero appetite most days. But my migraine med is probably mostly to blame for that. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I need to eat otherwise I'd probably go a few days without eating.

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member

You are welcome to add me as a friend and check out what I eat. Be warned it is not all that exciting. I do log everything and weigh, etc.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Who?

I have to fill in with fats to get calories... Protein is way too filling and I can't get enough calories from protein alone because of how filling it is.

I don't do the butter coffee, but have been adding olive oil (mostly), butter, cheese, and/or creams to everything I consume and adding fat bombs intentionally for extra calories.

I try to get 1300-1650 calories a day, but was struggling daily to get 1300 in before adding a lot of fats. Now coming in at 1300 much easier.

I've dropped over 12 inches off my stomach and over 3 pants sizes down in less than 2 months of eating this way. Didn't intend to lose this fast, but eating this way is definitely working for me.

My daughter and boyfriend have also lost significant inches eating this way with me.

I was asking the OP of that was maybe why they are feeling sick...
  • RAC56
    Who?

Sounds like you are doing great to me. Maintenance isn't a biggie as far as finding out what works goes. You'll find that from time to time you'll have to fiddle with your keto macros as your body changes. As you continue to get more 'in tune' with what your body needs you'll continue to grow in this WOE. :)
  • RAC56

Over a year in, and I still have zero appetite most days. But my migraine med is probably mostly to blame for that. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I need to eat otherwise I'd probably go a few days without eating.

On the mornings I have eggs & ham (or some other meat) I'm stuffed until almost 3pm!! The mornings I have salmon or something similar I'm hungry much earlier. Foods matter. That's why keto/LCHF works. The foods are so satiating. :)