Full fat milk

Options
mor72
mor72 Posts: 83 Member
Do any of you drink full fat milk? If yes how much?

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I drink full fat kefir but I’ve cut down to about a quart a week since it’s liquid calories and I wasn’t losing weight. I gave up milk a long time ago except on special occasions.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Nope, never. Not as a child and not as an adult.

Personally I find milk to be vile.

The only time I've ever used milk is for cooking, and now it's only when I'm cooking for others. I'll do butter, heavy whipping cream, all sorts of cheeses, etc but milk makes me wretch.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk at all, but I do eat full fat yogurt and when cooking I use either half and half or full fat milk.
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,964 Member
    Options
    I had thought it was a no no, and too high of a carb hit. At least for me on Keto and trying to stay around 20g carbs per day.
    I am really not a milk person but, I used to put it in my coffee. Since starting Keto this past Monday, we have switched over to full fat half and half.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I put about a quarter cup in my 2 coffees total. But I'm just low-carb, not keto.
  • HazelMayes
    HazelMayes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Occasionally. I’m not a big milk drinker but we always have whole milk for the kids so if I’m in the mood for milk I have some and just go for lower carb meals the rest of my day
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I almost never drink milk but I use whole fat milk to make Keifer here at home and drink that.
  • Jessimom2
    Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    It is higher carb. I had no choice when traveling but to have full fat milk lattes and stuff. I also IF. So I had one or two of those a day and then my one meal because it was vacation and was like, meh, I want special coffee I’ll see what damage I’ve done when I’m back. And...I lost 4 pounds that week. I think you can have it. I usually stay between 20-30 net carbs. That week I went over that but always stayed under 50 net. I think being inconsistent threw my metabolism off lol - not planned, but now I’m trying different things to get the same results.

It will be harder to squeeze in veggies. And I LOVE my salads. But if you are not a salad eater... you can trial it for 2 weeks and if you stall or start gaining and that is the only change I’d look at it and use less or cut it back out and see if that was causing the stall/gain.
  • Jessimom2
    Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Side note. I love in the US that I can go to coffee shops and ask for heavy cream and they have it. So I can get a 1/2 heavy cream and 1/2 water lattee and it is all keto ;)
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm not a giant cow's milk fan but I do enjoy it in coffee occasionally. When I do use it in coffee I make sure it's always whole milk. it's treat once in a while.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I had a glass of milk, cow or otherwise. I use dairy products but I don't really drink it. I mostly keep 1/2/& 1/2 around so when I need milk for a recipe, I "cut" the 1/2 and 1/2 with water.

Half and half is what milk used to taste like way back when I was a kid. :p Seriously. We would get milk at a local farm and have to shake the jug before drinking it because it was at least 1/3 cream. Oh, the good ol' days.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    When starting keto, we switched to half and half, heavy cream, and almond milk.

Almond milk favorite to drink.
    Half and half in coffees and hot chocolates.
    Heavy cream for cooking and sauces.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Milk makes me wheezy, and I'm left with an awful sour tasting coated tongue too. I do like pre-digested milk though, like full fat yogourt and cheeses, especially well aged cheeses.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of yogurt, full fat to nonfat. I have cream in things and use ff milk for making crepes.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    We gave up FF milk, we didn't realize how much added sugars it has until we started watching our carbs.

When trying to drop carbs really low, I'd rather use the heavier creams 1 net carb versus milk 12-20 net carbs.

Can also water down heavy cream or half and half to get preferred milk consistency.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Good idea Emma. I think cream watered down would also do well in cooking and baking, better than full fat if its high sugars I guess.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    I'm also a fan of really old hard cheeses. Soft spreadables are disgusting to me though.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I'm also a fan of really old hard cheeses. Soft spreadables are disgusting to me though.

Cheeses are a weakness of mine.... Unfortunately, I love all cheeses. From hard (sweet) to the soft smelly ones (I stink the house up with Limburger and Taleggio). Love goat cheese, too.

I used to make myself sick eating so much cheese!!

• chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I occasionally have full-fat milk in a small latte (10-12 oz), because I don't like plain coffee. Occasionally, like, really super rarely, I'll have coffee with cream, but that just doesn't taste as good to me. But at home I use almond milk. Unfortunately for me, places like dunkin & starbucks use the sweetened almond milk. Dunkin's is much higher in carbs than Starbucks.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Cheeses are a weakness of mine.... Unfortunately, I love all cheeses. From hard (sweet) to the soft smelly ones (I stink the house up with Limburger and Taleggio). Love goat cheese, too.

Same here.