Lesser evil? Too far forward vs. Too shallow

Options
Doberdawn
Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
Whenever I squat I always look like the second picture at best. I cannot remain upright without leaning All the Way Forward. Sometimes my knees go too far forward also when trying to get down to parallel. If you don't do the full range of squat then you don't incorporate the gluteal chain and you will not get strong enough and you will not improve. But is it bad to keep leaning so far forward while doing them? Which is worse? Leaning too far forward or not squatting low enough?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The leaning too far forward - if that means not centering weight over mid-foot - will cause you to stop being able to progress heavier which will stop you from continuing to get stronger.

So if you think shallow squats is preventing a workout to gluteal chain - just wait until you can't progress and prevent a good workout to everything - except your plantar tendon attempting to keep forefoot from letting you fall over forward.

Time to probably figure out out a form that doesn't cause either issue.
    May be slight tweaks, may be something major.

You can upload video of doing some heavy for you squats in the sticky topics and hope several will notice and comment.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Often small changes can make huge impacts. Some options to try:

--> Try lowering the bar further down on your shoulders instead of right by your neck.
    --> Try spreading feet further apart into a sumo style rather than shoulder width (worked for me)
    --> Try front squats with the bar in front of you rather than behind (have to go much lighter) or dumbbell goblet squats
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I too was going to suggest speading your feet a bit wider and/or front squats.
    Everybody's anatomy is a bit different and everyone squats a bit differently. You're going to figure something out.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Often small changes can make huge impacts. Some options to try:

--> Try lowering the bar further down on your shoulders instead of right by your neck.
    --> Try spreading feet further apart into a sumo style rather than shoulder width (worked for me)
    --> Try front squats with the bar in front of you rather than behind (have to go much lighter) or dumbbell goblet squats

^ this. Look into low bar squats. I had to switch to those and am happy. My body just couldn’t get very low with high bar squats. Low bar has me wider stance and leaning forward which works much better for me.