Need keto ideas for using chia seeds

Options
cgcrutch
cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
I have a whole bag I never use! I bought it intending to replace oatmeal with chia pudding, but swapping hot for cold doesn't quite do it for me. I do like peanut butter chia pudding. Anything else I can do with it?

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Was in same boat, lol. I bought a bag of them, never used them. They just sat in the cupboard for 2 years. Finally threw them away when I moved.

I don't remember what I bought them for!?!
  • piscesjoey
    piscesjoey Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    cgcrutch wrote: »
    I have a whole bag I never use! I bought it intending to replace oatmeal with chia pudding, but swapping hot for cold doesn't quite do it for me. I do like peanut butter chia pudding. Anything else I can do with it?

In the past I used them in my homemade green smoothies, in salads, & also in scrambled eggs.

• cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Made a peanut butter chia smoothie for breakfast.. guess I can start having smoothies for breakfast to use the seeds
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I use them in smoothies. But I don’t add them to the blender. I love the texture of them soaked; reminiscent of tapioca pearls maybe. Anyway, I soak a tbsp or two in water sprinkled with a 1/4tsp of sugar free jello powder. I soak for a few hours or overnight. Then I blend up my protein shake and stir these into the cup afterwards. I also use them in muffins, on top of salads and in a cereal I call “birdseed mix” nuts, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, unsweetened coconut flakes, maybe sugar free chocolate chips or unsweetened dried fruit(I measure it all out and see how many carbs I feel like eating), throw it all in a blender or food processor. Dump in a jar and store in the fridge. I will usually portion out a 1/4cup and top with Greek yogurt, almond milk, or heavy cream. The carbs do add up so I have to plan for it and don’t make very big batches, but it is yummy!
  • NCSophie
    NCSophie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup whole milk Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup water, heaping tablespoon of chia seeds and 1/4 cup mixed berries. I mix it all together before work and by lunchtime it's thickish. A note on the nutrition info for yogurt though, the carb numbers are always based on all of the lactose still being there, but in reality 75-90% has been converted to lactic acid.
  • trishknut
    trishknut Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Low carb “oatmeal “ 3tbl hemp seeds, 1tqbl chia seed, almond milk and whatever flavoring I want : coconut and Lily’s chic chips, or cinnamon/allspice for a fall feel, or SF maple syrup & pecans for maple pecan.
  • itzcath
    itzcath Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    one word... pintrest. There is a gazzillion chia recipes in there.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @cgcrutch - chia is a staple in my house!

You have come to the right place!
    There are a ton of flavors and fruit mix ins for. Chia pudding or chia smoothies.

My fave- blue green algae chia pudding- don’t knock it til you tried it!

Chia fruit jam (low sugar)
    Chia with granola
    Lemon chia seed protein pancakes
    Lemon blueberry chia vinaigrette
    Veggie/ chia sweet potato burgers (watch portion size for carbs)
    Use chia in meatballs instead of breadcrumbs
    Use chia to get a crispy coating on fried chicken without the bread!
    Chia crusted salmon
    Chia chimichurri for steak

My favs - mermaid chia pudding & chia veggie burger
    Low carb! - watch portion sizes.

f6l5hgchx8m6.jpeg

hmy57qhkrdsk.jpeg