Living The Lifestyle ~ Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Options
myallforjcbill
myallforjcbill Posts: 5,574 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for August are below:

Monday -Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)
Wednesday - myallforjc (Bill)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - whathapnd (Emmie)

Topic: Someday Dreams

Since we pined for the Fjords yesterday, I thought we might look forward today. Are there new activities you hope to try, or accomplish, once you are further along your journey into health? Is there something that you had to stop doing but now seems possible someday if you stick to it? Or if you are at your target weight what is something you have always wanted to try that is now doable? How does this help motivate you forward?

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Can’t say that I have any new activities I want to. But I decided this morning that I want to close a gap that I have on my ice age trail progress. I’ve done all the trail and connecting roads between Devils Lake and Walla Hi park (southern Manitowoc County). I’ve also done Manitowoc city and Two Rivers but there is about 28 of mile of connecting roads between Walla Hi and Manitowoc. I could do this in a day but I need to build my time on my feet back up. I was hurting after doing 8 miles in June. I’ve been bike riding so much that hiking has really fallen off my radar. I’m planning to do this on thanksgiving weekend so I have time to work on building up my mileage again.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,003 Member
    Options
    First I need to lose some weight before I can move on with other physical activities that I have planned. My goal going forward is to get this 50 lbs off I put back on so I can begin walking again. My knees are in pretty rough shape so I'm going to get to the gym and do some soft bicycle riding from the sitting position with my feet out in front of me whatever you call that type of cycle.

Once that's completed going forward I'll continue on the path of losing weight to get the next 100 lbs off leveling off @ 200 lbs. One bite one lb at a time.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,574 Member
    Options
    I have back and knee issues. But I do look forward to being able snowshoe this winter. We used to do it quite a bit in Yosemite, but knee and back issues have made it difficult, not to mention conditioning once I put 50lbs back on. After trying it once again last year we didn't last long, but I would like to be able to do more. I will need to be in lighter and in better shape. I am hoping that once I am stronger I should be able to cycle more (recreational).
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,274 Member
    Options
    I would like to return to long distance swimming, perhaps to age appropriate competitive swimming. When in shape, I am a very strong and fast swimmer. I just have to get back into shape, which requires losing weight.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    If there's a level below "couch potato" in terms of activity, that would describe me. I keep saying I'm going to exercise then don't do it. I have a hip issue that will never go away, but I am getting good relief from a Pilates instructor. I learned to ski late in life. I was very cautious (the hip issue was undiagnosed at that point, and it was more mentally exhausting than physically exhausting because my right leg didn't want to cooperate on turns. I'd like to get greater stability in that leg via exercise and weight training and try skiing again. It's been a few years.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,701 Member
    Options
    No new activities