Living the Lifestyle - Thursday, 08/15/2019

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,274 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for August are below:

Monday -Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)
Wednesday - myallforjc (Bill)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - whathapnd (Emmie)

Topic: Satisfying Cravings

1. Do you get cravings from time to time?
2. How do you go about assuaging those cravings - whether salty & crunchy or sweet or something else? What is your tool of defense?

Replies

• myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,574 Member
    Options
    1. There is only one answer to this unless we redefine cravings!

2. We keep some things in the house that speak to them that are manageable. DW likes frozen yogurt pops, I buy small popsicles (2 pts). That helps a lot with sweet urges, if I choose to indulge, since they are self-contained portions. Salty is harder to control portion size and avoid mindless munching so we don't often keep in the house. A few days ago I was thinking about the salt and pepper pistachios we used to buy when we could find them without a 3-4 hour round trip into the San Joaquin Valley. I was ready to go. I still may order some online at a heftier price. Then I have to put them into premeasured portions in snack bags. But it is still risky. But in the end it needs to be an intentional decision, portion control and eyes wide open to the inherent risk.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    IF I'm really working it, apples (sweet crunchy) or Ostrim beef and elk sticks (88 cal of salty chewy goodness).
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    1. Yes, and most often late night
    2. Honestly, I haven’t used a tool of defense regularly, which helps explain my struggles recently. This post is reminding me just how many of my healthy habits I have let go compared to when I was at goal weight. Last night, my wife and I (at my wife’s suggestion) decided to keep some low calorie ice cream in the house, since my big temptation has been to run out for premium, high calorie ice cream each night.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    1. Yes, especially when dealing with work stress.
    2. My defense is not to have treats handy. If I have to drive to get something to resolve a craving, then the odds are that I will be too lazy to go for that drive. Substitutions have never really worked for me. I eat the substitute, feel unsatisfied and then end up eating what I really was craving. Better to just eat a measured portion of what I really want.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,701 Member
    Options
    1) I get a sweet tooth sometimes.
    20 I try to keep better foods around so not to be able to over indulge.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Haven't totally figured thisw one out yet. What I don't do is throw the whole plan out the window because of some indulgent moments or meals. I too try to limit available stuff in the house but DW often brings stuff in anyway.