Full fat milk

Options
2»

Replies

• weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I'm also a fan of really old hard cheeses. Soft spreadables are disgusting to me though.

Cheeses are a weakness of mine.... Unfortunately, I love all cheeses. From hard (sweet) to the soft smelly ones (I stink the house up with Limburger and Taleggio). Love goat cheese, too.

I used to make myself sick eating so much cheese!!

I ate so much cheese over the weekend. I think I will make cauliflower mac n cheese with what I have left, so I don't eat it all!!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of milk but I'll put it in my coffee if I'm out of cream.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I put 28g/ 1oz of full fat milk in my tea but I put almond milk and cream in my coffee and hot choccolate .
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a glass of full fat milk in decades. I will from time to time have small amounts of half and half in coffee or scrambled eggs but I have moved on to more plant based milks that are low carb. Califia Farms and Nutpods for coffee and Califia Farms Toasted Coconut if I am wanting a glass of "milk" its the only one I've found that tastes pretty good straight out of the bottle. Large amounts of cows milk (full, skim, etc.) never seemed to agree with me so I just found alternatives.
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    Options
    I never liked milk, even as a kid, and wouldn't eat cereal with it unless I could have chocolate milk.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I’m with you @Xerogs- Califia Farms unsweetened almond milk is my go to for cooking and in coffee. Even though Starbucks uses sweetened, I’ve gone back to almondmilk lattes over anything with heavy cream. While I love cream and keep it on hand, it doesn’t love me.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've been using this off and on.
    r7r4z9lx5usx.png
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Some of the Starbucks have unsweetened plant milks, it just depends on what the individual stores carry. I was shocked the first time I went to one and ordered an almond milk latte and actually had them ask "sweet or unsweet" but it is available from corporate and if you ask your local store they may be able to stock the unsweet version.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Some of the Starbucks have unsweetened plant milks, it just depends on what the individual stores carry. I was shocked the first time I went to one and ordered an almond milk latte and actually had them ask "sweet or unsweet" but it is available from corporate and if you ask your local store they may be able to stock the unsweet version.

I think I've seen coconut milk also. Years ago, I asked what milk substitutes they had other than soy. I remember asking my daughter if she wanted coconut milk or almond milk. But I don't think it's at all locations either.

Not positive, haven't asked for non milk substitutes in awhile.

• Jessimom2
    Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I like their options too, but they sneak carbs in some of their plant milks :/ So I stick with the cream.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I don't really drink milk. Not because I don't love it, I do, it's for sure a part of my diet when I'm not Keto, but when I'm trying to keep my carbs low, milk just doesn't really fit in my plan. If/when I drink milk, it's always full fat. Also, any dairy product that I consume is always full fat as well - cheese, yogurt, sour cream, etc.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I drink half and half if I have any liquid calories. It has some calcium from the milk and lots of fat from cream. I believe milk fats are good for the body and help the skin keep it’s shape.
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to drink milk (didn't much even when I wasn't LCHF, unless it was in hot-chocolate or tea) but do consume full cream dairy: homemade yoghurt, cheese, cream, sour cream, etc. For a while I was making shakes with my yoghurt which is probably the closest to a dairy "drink".

But also note, I am a liberal LCHF - I don't do "keto" level (under 20g carbs or so) - so I have more carbs to play with than some people. The full cream milk I buy is 4.9g carb per 100ml, which doesn't seem bad to me if it is just occasional.

I did have a look at the plant-based milk alternatives at one point, but there were so many additives in what was on the shelf in the shop, including added sugars, that I decided I would rather have the dairy (I am on a wholefood LCHF diet). If you look at almond milk - it is predominantly water with only about 2.5% of actual almonds in it! The one exception is buying coconut milk/cream for cooking - can get cans with 80-100% coconut content if you pick the right brand.
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I use full fat fairlife milk. Half the sugar of regular milk. Great in smoothies and coffee. I don't usually drink a glass of milk, but I will put 4 oz or so in a smoothie.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    In Thailand, almond milk is expensive so I use whole milk to make coffee . ☕
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Malimalai wrote: »
    In Thailand, almond milk is expensive so I use whole milk to make coffee . ☕
    I think whole milk is a much better choice than almond milk especially raw from a reputable source.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    We gave up FF milk, we didn't realize how much added sugars it has until we started watching our carbs.

When trying to drop carbs really low, I'd rather use the heavier creams 1 net carb versus milk 12-20 net carbs.

Can also water down heavy cream or half and half to get preferred milk consistency.

What kind of milk are you drinking that has added sugar? Milks have natural sugars (Lactose) but I don't think I have ever seen one with added sugar (outside of flavored milks).

If I drink milk, it's Fairlife since it has higher protein and less carbs. But currently, my dairy consumption comes from either cheese or full fat yogurt (which has 7g of carbs).
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Locally full fat Greek Yogurt is hard to fine. WalMart has it but not ever time I go.