New to group, 2 months into Keto

rmac18
rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes on June 13 and was told I needed to lose weight and reduce blood sugar immediately or start taking insulin shots. I decided I wanted to do everything in my power to avoid insulin shots so I immediately started to diet. I was following the dietary recommendations from the American Diabetes Association religiously and keeping calories at 1,500 and macros in line with healthy whole foods but my blood sugar was typically 250-300 mg/dl, WAY too high. So I tried Keto and the first day my blood sugar came way down. After 2 months my average blood sugar is about 95 mg/dl which is really good and I’ve lost 28 lbs in 2 months. Anyway I’m feeling pretty good about everything so far but I’d love to find like minded friends for support. This is definitely be a lifestyle change for me with managing blood sugar and I need to lose another 62 lbs to get to my goal weight. One more tidbit about me, I lost 126 lbs on MFP in 2012-13 by counting calories. When I got to my goal weight I stopped counting and then gained 88 lbs back over 6 years. I’m determined to make permanent lifestyle changes and not let that ever happen again. Please feel free add me as a friend.

Replies

• prowell57
    prowell57 Posts: 140 Member
    Hi rmac18, welcome to the group. I started keto back in July when I found out I was borderline diabetic. That's awesome you've lost 28 lbs in 2 months! I've lost 12 lbs since starting keto in July. I don't understand the American Diabetes Association, I didn't have much luck following their numbers either. You'd think they'd look more into keto and how it works with all the help people get from following it. I can't wait to see my Dr again and have blood work done, I'm expecting great results like yourself.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I've been eating Keto since mid June, not diabetic, but for another medical issue.

I love the way I'm eating now.

I've lost around 35 lbs since starting. Will probably never go back to breads and sugars!

Welcome to the group, way to go on your progress so far!!

• leighketo
    leighketo Posts: 2 Member
    Wow! Congratulations to all of you on your success! I’m pre-diabetic and I have epilepsy, so keto seemed to be the answer to getting my health on track. I need to loose around 20 lbs as well. I am also looking for friends to support one another and share our experiences. Feel free to add me as a friend as well. :)
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited August 2019
    leighketo wrote: »
    Wow! Congratulations to all of you on your success! I’m pre-diabetic and I have epilepsy, so keto seemed to be the answer to getting my health on track. I need to loose around 20 lbs as well. I am also looking for friends to support one another and share our experiences. Feel free to add me as a friend as well. :)

Sent request. I have about 20-30 left to lose. And also doing keto for health issues.

I'm curious about epilepsy... Does it always cause seizures? Anything that has an epileptic warning usually makes me sick and gives me extreme headaches, but I've never had a seizure.

Even things without the warning... Those flashy previews or any documentary typical camera work...
  • rmac18
    My daughter has epilepsy for 10 years. There are many different types of seizures ranging from the violent shaking ones to just staring off into the distance. You really need to see a neurologist and get an ekg to look at brain activity. My understanding is they diagnose epilepsy by brain wave patterns that they use to determine treatment. Severe headaches are also related to epilepsy and in some cases Keto diets can be effective treatment. Having witnessed seizures it’s super scary and I’d get checked out just to be safe.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    rmac18 wrote: »
    My daughter has epilepsy for 10 years. There are many different types of seizures ranging from the violent shaking ones to just staring off into the distance. You really need to see a neurologist and get an ekg to look at brain activity. My understanding is they diagnose epilepsy by brain wave patterns that they use to determine treatment. Severe headaches are also related to epilepsy and in some cases Keto diets can be effective treatment. Having witnessed seizures it’s super scary and I’d get checked out just to be safe.

Sorry, watching our own children suffer with medical conditions is rough!! I've seen someone have a violent seizure, it was a scary thing to watch.

I've had my headaches for probably over 20 years... Been to neurologists, had CAT scans and MRIs done and brain waves checked. I guess if that's how it's diagnosed, one of doctors would have said something by now.

I just avoid triggers: flashing lights, shaky cameras, 3 dimensional video games, poor film quality videos and movies!

I'm a walking medical disaster!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    If you were tested for epilepsy they would have hooked you up to a bunch of machines and had you lie down with a light bank facing you. They monitor you while subjecting you to various light patterns. Then they have you hyperventilate so you fall asleep and they can monitor you while sleeping.

I imagine you would remember it since it's kind of a unique test.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    If you were tested for epilepsy they would have hooked you up to a bunch of machines and had you lie down with a light bank facing you. They monitor you while subjecting you to various light patterns. Then they have you hyperventilate so you fall asleep and they can monitor you while sleeping.

I imagine you would remember it since it's kind of a unique test.

I've had my share of testing and poking and prodding, but Nope, never been through that!!!!

• rmac18
    It’s an overnight test in our experience.
  • rmac18
    prowell57 wrote: »
    Hi rmac18, welcome to the group. I started keto back in July when I found out I was borderline diabetic. That's awesome you've lost 28 lbs in 2 months! I've lost 12 lbs since starting keto in July. I don't understand the American Diabetes Association, I didn't have much luck following their numbers either. You'd think they'd look more into keto and how it works with all the help people get from following it. I can't wait to see my Dr again and have blood work done, I'm expecting great results like yourself.

12 lbs in a month is awesome, congrats. I’m sure the ADA works for some folks but I’m pretty confident that it doesn’t take many carbs to spike my blood sugar. I test after every meal and it seems that blood sugar is directly related to carbs and exercise, mostly carbs. A new restaurant opened in my town and they advertise a Keto pizza with crust made of broccoli and cheese, I tried it and my blood sugar went up 50 mg/dl, my guess is the pizza sauce did it but I don’t know for sure. Good luck to you with hitting your goals.
  • rmac18

Sorry, watching our own children suffer with medical conditions is rough!! I've seen someone have a violent seizure, it was a scary thing to watch.

I've had my headaches for probably over 20 years... Been to neurologists, had CAT scans and MRIs done and brain waves checked. I guess if that's how it's diagnosed, one of doctors would have said something by now.

I just avoid triggers: flashing lights, shaky cameras, 3 dimensional video games, poor film quality videos and movies!

I hope you can figure it out. In our experience we found a few things that seem to help. One is she had some vitamin deficiencies and now takes supplements. They found this in a blood test and I can’t remember which ones but it seems to help. She also had sleep apnea and started sleeping with a breathing machine. Then she started doing Keto at 10 carbs per day. Plus she takes a couple of epilepsy meds. The combination stopped the seizures and allowed her to finally get her drivers license. It was really bad for awhile. She stopped doing Keto and has bad migraines, I think going back on Keto might help but she’s not ready for that I guess. There’s a lot of good info on epilepsy.org
  • Emmapatterson1729

I hope you can figure it out. In our experience we found a few things that seem to help. One is she had some vitamin deficiencies and now takes supplements. They found this in a blood test and I can’t remember which ones but it seems to help. She also had sleep apnea and started sleeping with a breathing machine. Then she started doing Keto at 10 carbs per day. Plus she takes a couple of epilepsy meds. The combination stopped the seizures and allowed her to finally get her drivers license. It was really bad for awhile. She stopped doing Keto and has bad migraines, I think going back on Keto might help but she’s not ready for that I guess. There’s a lot of good info on epilepsy.org

The keto definitely helps my head pains, too. I take supplements; through blood panels, they discovered deficiencies... Malabsorption problems.

That's great your daughter's doing better!

Thanks for all the info!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I was able to control my migraines with keto in the 50g/day range, so if she does want to try it again, she may not need to go as low to get results.