newly diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic

Options

Replies

• bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    T2 here, almost ten years now (diagnosis 2007) and have never done very well on meds of all kinds, so much switching around and even when I got onto insulin, BG lowered but didn't last, and I still stayed kind of high - it's not good - Only just about to finish week 6 of LCHF/not sure if even keto, but was almost always on the mark with macros. Lost 7 lbs almost immediately, then 8 more two weeks later, then a couple more, for an accumulated 19 lb loss in 30 days, then bumped back up, so just a 16 lb loss so far.

Having new labs done this next week. I'm feeling very anxious :( Really more focused on blood sugar management right now, to try to rid myself of diabetes, which is the goal, but I guess I thought that losing through a strict weight loss plan/WOL would just be the best step toward easing down my BG, but am still high. I reduced my protein intake by 20% as of a couple days ago, will see how that goes.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @KatMac2207200 -

Congrats on your great progress!

FYI, I recently heard Dr.Bernstein urge caution in the use of Januvia. (I believe he discusses it in his May 2016 Teleseminar.)

I'm guessing he might recommend starting with name-brand Glucophage XR to see if that alone would do the trick.

Best of luck!

• bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    @bjwoodzy Let us know how the appointment goes. :)

And don't say "just a 16 lb loss". That is awesome! That's a pound every two days. It doesn't get much better than that! Congrats!! :)

I will, thank you for being encouraging. I guess things could be worse, I'm just frustrated with my insurance coverage and then on top of that, my family practitioner holding out on me with my Metformin right now.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    @bjwoodzy Let us know how the appointment goes. :)

And don't say "just a 16 lb loss". That is awesome! That's a pound every two days. It doesn't get much better than that! Congrats!! :)

I will, thank you for being encouraging. I guess things could be worse, I'm just frustrated with my insurance coverage and then on top of that, my family practitioner holding out on me with my Metformin right now.

You have a right to be pi$$ed. Your insurance and doctor are playing games with your health. It isn't fair.
  • KatMac22072004
    KatMac22072004 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @KatMac2207200 -

FYI, I recently heard Dr.Bernstein urge caution in the use of Januvia. (I believe he discusses it in his May 2016 Teleseminar.)

I'm guessing he might recommend starting with name-brand Glucophage XR to see if that alone would do the trick.

Best of luck!

Thanks! Will have a look. Fairly in the dark about medication, never even thought of different brands or them not working properly. Janumet has been working pretty well on me, I'm off all daytime insulin now which is a relief! Getting my bloods done in another weeks time to be sure.

• RalfLott
    Options
    @KatMac2207200 -

Best of luck!

Thanks! Will have a look. Fairly in the dark about medication, never even thought of different brands or them not working properly. Janumet has been working pretty well on me, I'm off all daytime insulin now which is a relief! Getting my bloods done in another weeks time to be sure.

That is really great!

Have your BG checks been pretty good since you switched your meds around?

Dr. Bernstein frequently laments the advice frequently given to maintain carb intake and stay on daytime insulin. You could be his poster kid!

• KatMac22072004
    KatMac22072004 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @KatMac22072004

That is really great!

Have your BG checks been pretty good since you switched your meds around?

Dr. Bernstein frequently laments the advice frequently given to maintain carb intake and stay on daytime insulin. You could be his poster kid!

I wish! Haha. Yeah I'm getting majority 6's for any reading in the last few days. I was convinced I had dawn phenomenon until starting this way of eating
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <spike>
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I some how missed Dr. Bernstein's work the last time around.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WFNGdKSXx64&list=PLs_TA02I6IvV6-1s2pL4BPhvMo0Ck_lcY
  • eastjc
    eastjc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    OK, this is my fourth time trying to post this so bear with me.

I was diagnosed with t2d late last year. A1c was above 15 and the VA wanted to put me on insulin that day. I was having severe depression and was pretty out of control with vodka. Like a 750ml a day out of control.

A couple of weeks later I was put on metforman by my doc. Did this for a while and my A1c went down to 6.7. Then they had to takee off the metforman this spring cause my liver or kidney enzymes were screwed up. I finally went into treatment early this summer and came out in June. Haven't touched a drop since April.

I started counting calories and was slowly losing weight. I finally got sick of being a fat out of shape looser (my opinion) and went low carb last month. 1500 cal, 7 net carbs per day with some walking and have shed about 20 lbs.

I am working with a nutritionist at the VA and two days ago he said I'm doing everything right after looking at the last 30 days of mfp. He said the weight loss will taper off to a normal 2lb a week like I'm shooting for. He agreed with me that it would be great if I worked out at the gym like I was planning to do. Also recommended going up to 1800 cal intake the gym days which makes sense.

I started at the gym today with 10 on the elliptical and then did the hour long body shred class. I can't feel my arms or legs but burned 780cal doing that and taking the dog for an 8/10th mile walk when I got home. Ate like a pig and still stayed under 10 net carbs.

I'm going in this August for labs and a doctor check up. Can you guys think of anything else I can do to streamline anything else? I plan to be at the gym 5 days a week (am retired navy) cause it gets me out of the house doing something healthy. Boredom is a big trigger for me so I think this is a good use of several hours. My plan is to work out in the pool if I'm too sore from the class instead. Mostly doing walking and trying to drown noodles for resistance work.

Thanks in advance!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Working out in the pool gets you variable resistance, a +++! Having a good day? Move faster or use larger range of motion. Tough sore day? Move a bit slower and more deliberately and you are still workin' out hard without overuse. Try deep water running, it's how they train racehorses for more power/speed.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    New study from Ben Bikman
    a1oeyvref67o.jpeg
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    eastjc wrote: »
    Just had to share. Just got done with my physical.

According to my doc I'm no longer t2d. A1c is 6.1, fasting glucose 107.

He is super impressed and I'm pretty thrilled. Says it doesn't happen nearly enough. So far I'm down 49.5lbs from 256 6 months ago. Working out almost daily. Diet 1500 cal a day, 7 net carbs, adjusted for extra exercise.

So whoo-whoo! It can be done!

So glad you got a dr. who is up on current VA guidelines for diebetics, too many are not. VA is even working with Dr. Stephen Phinney's company now.

6.1 is borderline, so keep those carbs down there. They are sneaky and add up quickly.

Love the pic of you and your dog. Take him out on more walks, Maybe get him a frisbee to add some variety to your workouts.

Wishing lots more success.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    New study: Reduced-carb diet beats conventional diabetes diet
    https://dietdoctor.com/new-study-reduced-carb-diet-beats-conventional-diabetes-diet

"In 2019, a conventional diabetes diet — providing between 60–90 grams of carbs at meals and 15–30 grams of carbs at snacks — is no longer considered state-of-the-art.

Earlier this year, after decades of recommending a low-fat, high-carb approach, the American Diabetes Association (ADA) published a consensus report stating that “reducing overall carbohydrate intake for individuals with diabetes has demonstrated the most evidence for improving glycemia (blood sugar).”.......

Is there a change at the top of ADA?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Does "working with" mean prescribing/implementing keto for diabetics or just looking into it as an option? I'm not seeing where it is prescribed and advocated by the VA but I may be looking in the wrong places. @retirehappy.

This 2017 doc comes up when I research current VA guidelines for diabetics. This seems to mention a Mediterranean diet. I'm not agreeing with that for diabetes, just sayin' it is what I find.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    This is all I know :)

https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/58037/innovative-treatment-vets-type-2-diabetes/

The full guidelines for 2017 mentions Med. diet but also this:

0daizyi2luib.png

15% would be good, not so sure about the 45%, I think Dr. Sears would be happy with these guidelines.