Low Carb Easy Chicken Garlic Parmesan

Options
Dragonwolf
Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
I'm a lazy cook. I'm pretty sure I've spent more time writing down the recipe than I did actually cooking this, that's how lazy I am. I don't like making stuff that takes a dishwasher full of dishes to make, and thanks to having gone out of town over the weekend (and therefore having skipped the weekly shopping trip), I needed to make something with what I had on hand. The result was this lovely, filling dinner

It's garlicky and cheesy and not for the faint of heart regarding either. If you don't like either as strong, just drop the amount to taste.

4 boneless chicken pieces (I used skinless breasts, but thighs will probably work, too)
1/3 cup butter
6 oz milk*
2 oz cream cheese*
1/2-2/3 cup parmesan cheese (I used grated, but shredded will probably work, too)
6 cloves of garlic
~2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste

* I used whole milk and cream cheese, because it's what I had, though I'm pretty sure heavy cream would work just fine, though it'll probably be plenty thick without the cream cheese, then. I used the cream cheese to thicken the milk and add fat.

In a chicken fryer, melt half of the butter on medium to medium-high heat until hot (there should be a good amount of standing butter in the bottom). Place chicken in fryer and salt/pepper. Flip and salt/pepper other side. Cover and allow to cook through (covering keeps it from drying out), flipping once or twice, depending on thickness.

While chicken is cooking, finely chop the garlic (a food processor works great for this) and measure out milk and cheeses (I measured the milk into a liquid measuring cup, then cubed the cream cheese into the milk until it reached the 1 cup line; the parmesan stays separate for now).

When chicken is done, transfer it to a plate or bowl for holding. Keep the juices in the fryer.

Add remaining butter and garlic to fryer and saute garlic until it starts to brown and gets aromatic. Turn heat down to medium and add the milk and cream cheese. Whisk gently until cream cheese is melted, being careful to not allow the milk to scorch or burn. It's okay if it seems thin at this stage.

Mix in parmesan and whisk some more until it's incorporated and melty. This should immediately thicken it up into more of a sauce like texture. If it seems too thick, add more liquid a little at a time until it thins out to a more sauce-like thickness. It should be thick, but pourable.

To serve, cut a chicken piece partway through in a still-connected grid pattern (like those blooming onions) and pour sauce over chicken. Or you can be lazy and just cut up the chicken, then sauce it.

Makes 4 servings.

Info when made as described above:

Calories: 567
Total Fat: 34g
Saturated Fat: 19g
Monounsaturated Fat: 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g
Sodium: 639mg
Total Carbohydrate: 7g
Fiber: 0g
Sugar: 3g
Protein: 55g