Under 1600 to maintain on low fat/low cal. Still dropping weight on keto 2200

Options
apriltrainer
apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
edited August 2019 in Social Groups
Forgive me if this is a dbl post. Not much of a response in another thread. So....

I am actually trying not to lose weight. On carnivore keto I am seeing that maintaining my weight is a problem. I keep dropping and I am averaging between 1800-2200 a day. I am doing both intermittent fasting as well. I don't want to change everything. So i will change one thing. That thing is to add extra protein. If this doesn't work I will play with the other variables like fat or intermittent fasting timing. Some people might add fat first. But extra fat, while I eat more than most, just isn't as satiating to me as protein is. I won't avoid fat but I would rather eat extra protein.

Obviously, if you look at my food log, I am not afraid of fat. But it also is NOT putting weight on me. This makes me think of CICO. Cals in Cals out. I do and don't believe in it...to a point. How so? How can I both believe and not believe? I am noticing that the month of August on carnivore keto my typical cal consumption is close to 1900, sometimes in the 2000's. Instead of gaining weight, I keep dropping. In my profile pic where I am showing off my guns, I am 15%bodyfat, and may have been around 114 in that pic. I am now sitting at 111, and 13% (thanks to a Dexa Scan). My intention is not to walk around this lean. I am not a bikini or fitness model. I am just a regular girl who likes her kettlebells and oly lifting.

I have had numerous people ask me when my next show is. ANd they do NOT mean a lifting competition. While this may seem like something I should not complain about, I also want to stay strong for my sport. Where does CICO come into play? I looked at my food logs from 2012 and 2014 when i was trying to do low cal/lowfat... At this same amount of cals I was having a very difficult time losing weight and when I did it was brutal and I was always hungry.. Anything over 1600 and I would start to gain weight. but this was when I ate carbs. I think cals in cals matter when eating mostly carbs. Even of the healthy variety.

For me...cals in and cals out probably does matter with carnivore keto as well, but the cals when I start to gain weight may be higher in keto. So with lowfat /high carb- back before i did keto- The cals in/cals out I had to stay under was about 1600. With keto carnivore I have not yet reached the point where I am mantaining, much less gaining. Perhaps it is 2300 or 2400. or even 2500 or higher. FAct is, I still think it matters. But the Cals in cals out can be different depending on WHAT one eats. If I find I start gaining weight on carnivore with 2500 this does not mean I can go back to how I ate before and eat 2500 cals of candybars and doughnuts or even "healthy" rice and other grains. It just means that my body can eat many more cals via carnivory without gaining. With a carb heavy diet, calories unfortunately do matter to my body. I loved how lean Keto carnivore got me and had hoped to sit at the 15% bf mark. Did NOT expect to keep dropping in weight and bf. Hope to stabilize soon but interesting that I can eat so much more on carnivore keto and still keep losing. Makes me wonder what maintance calories will be on carnivore keto. ssfi5fsnqt0p.jpg

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Way to go! You look amazing!!!

I have concern about this concept. I've read a few stories of people who continue to lose even after bumping calories up on keto.

I worry about maintenance when I get there. I am going to raise protein levels when I get to my goal size, and hope for the best.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I can be quite chubby on carnivore...totally jealous!!!

Whenever you figure out what maintenance is, I hope you will let us know!
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Wow! I don't know much about carnivore keto. But I am assuming it's all animal based diet. How do you incorporate fiber? And how long are you going to keep going??
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    Wow! I don't know much about carnivore keto. But I am assuming it's all animal based diet. How do you incorporate fiber? And how long are you going to keep going??

It's a way of life for me now. Not a quick fix. I intend to stay with carnivore keto for the long term. I realize I had an addiction to carbs. Former binger. I have to view carbs as an addiction, akin to heroin and alcohol. If I go back to how I ate before...i get the same results. Binge eating disorder is something I will NOT go back to. So carnivore keto is the way I choose. Consuming this much would make me binge when doing low fat/high carb. Doing this many cals on carnivore stunts my appetite and thus...no binge.

I will actually go to a steak place tonight to celebrate my bf's new teaching job. More protein! Can't wait to see if I put on a bit of weight after. Of course I don't eat like that all the time, can't afford steak like that. Why oh why can't steak be as cheap as chicken....
  • apriltrainer
    Options

Forgot to answer your question about fiber... I dont incorporate it at all. In fact switching from standard keto to carnivore keto? No bloat at all. None. When i ate a standard american food pyramid diet? Bloat. Regular keto? Bloat diminished but still there. Carnivore keto ? Zero bloat.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Are you still a personal trainer and power lifter?
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Are you still a personal trainer and power lifter?

No longer personal train or powerlift. Switched to oly lifting and was getting disillusioned with the fitness industry. And like many people in the fitness industry, had my own personal demons. Back at nursing which is much healthier for me than working as a PT.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Well you certainly stayed in great shape. :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Girl, you are smokin'! :heart:

Can you do dairy? I've seen some carnivores use milk to help keep weight on. Might be something to try.

Another option is to trust the "process" of carnivore and see where it leads you, provided you still have the energy and strength to do what you need and want, and especially if you feel like you have to force feed yourself to get more calories in. It's not uncommon for it to take a body farther than what the person would like, then change course, redistributing body fat in healthier places and ways.

Your appetite should ramp up before too much longer, and if/when it does, be sure to honor it, even if it seems like way too much. I've seen even some petite women in other carnivore forums who can put away something like 4lbs or more of meat.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Also, if fat isn't satiating, that might be more reason to eat it, because you can eat more of it.
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Well you certainly stayed in great shape. :)

During my time off mfp ...i actually got up to the 160s. I lost it again through keto.so i did not stay in shape. But i got it back! That is for another post! The pic in yellow? Jan of 2018. Pic on right? 2 weeks ago.
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Can you do dairy? I've seen some carnivores use milk to help keep weight on. Might be something to try.

Another option is to trust the "process" of carnivore and see where it leads you, provided you still have the energy and strength to do what you need and want, and especially if you feel like you have to force feed yourself to get more calories in. It's not uncommon for it to take a body farther than what the person would like, then change course, redistributing body fat in healthier places and ways.

Your appetite should ramp up before too much longer, and if/when it does, be sure to honor it, even if it seems like way too much. I've seen even some petite women in other carnivore forums who can put away something like 4lbs or more of meat.

Dairy causes me to bloat. So except for a few pieces of hard cheese and 1 -2 tbls of butter( dose dependent for me. And i figured out through trial and error what works)i limit dairy.

I went to an all you can eat meat restaurant yesterday with my boyfriend. A carnivores dream called Iron Age Steakhouse here in Chicago. I guesstimated how much fat and protein and cals. Pretty sure it was not accurate. But i ate about 2 lbs i think? Maybe 3? I ate quite a bit....but compared to how i used to eat at all you can eat buffets with breads and desserts. Etc..shocked getting up this am and zero bloat!!! Carnivore for the win!
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    @apriltrainer Have you asked for advice on this group? Maybe they can help! https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/120342-low-carber-carnivore-club
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Dairy causes me to bloat. So except for a few pieces of hard cheese and 1 -2 tbls of butter( dose dependent for me. And i figured out through trial and error what works)i limit dairy.

I went to an all you can eat meat restaurant yesterday with my boyfriend. A carnivores dream called Iron Age Steakhouse here in Chicago. I guesstimated how much fat and protein and cals. Pretty sure it was not accurate. But i ate about 2 lbs i think? Maybe 3? I ate quite a bit....but compared to how i used to eat at all you can eat buffets with breads and desserts. Etc..shocked getting up this am and zero bloat!!! Carnivore for the win!

:heart: carnivore for similar reasons. :)

That's a shame about the dairy.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    What about nuts? Especially higher fat ones if you want to totally stay away from carbs - Pecans, fresh walnuts, macadamias. All yummy, portable and easy to eat, high in fat calories.
    Sorry if it seems intrusive, but do you still have regular cycles (your period)? If you do and you still feel energetic, sleep well, and don't have skin dryness and hair breakage, you're probably doing fine. Like Dragonwolf said, trust the process as long as you are healthy. We are all an n=1.
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    What about nuts? Especially higher fat ones if you want to totally stay away from carbs - Pecans, fresh walnuts, macadamias. All yummy, portable and easy to eat, high in fat calories.
    Sorry if it seems intrusive, but do you still have regular cycles (your period)? If you do and you still feel energetic, sleep well, and don't have skin dryness and hair breakage, you're probably doing fine. Like Dragonwolf said, trust the process as long as you are healthy. We are all an n=1.

I am about 95% carnivore ket0 (mainly eggs and meat and with some spices and sauces), although I do add 2 tbls of nut butter to my omelet. I am actually trying to wean myself off nuts as it is as much of an addiction as sugar is. So I am going to try to add an extra egg and more fatty meats. Crazy though, I seem to have stabilized the past few days at a specific point without much change. So.. I don't wnat to say it's the extra egg..but maybe so! And about the hair.. My hair is growing TOO fast. I dye my grays and now I have to dye more often due to my hair growth. Nails are growing faster. Opposite of any breakage of hair and nails. in fact with carnivore keto, I have never had my hair grow this LONG or fast. I guess I should not complain...carnivore keto- great for hair growth!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    When I first went low carb I grew more hair. I did not need to grow more hair. I break ponytail holders as it is there's so much of it on my head. Thankfully, the new growth was contained to my head :D I haven't experienced it since that very first foray into low carb.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    When I first went low carb I grew more hair. I did not need to grow more hair. I break ponytail holders as it is there's so much of it on my head. Thankfully, the new growth was contained to my head :D I haven't experienced it since that very first foray into low carb.

As close as I can tell, LC/keto has had no impact on the (lack of) hair on my head. It is a pity, because that might have been a nice side effect for me.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Super some of you shared the no hair loss experiences. There is so much blame out there for LC/keto ways of eating for problems with falling out hair. Thanks.:)
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    For some people, weight loss of any kind can come with a bit of hair loss it seems. like I noted above I was kind of excited at the possibility of loosing some hair but nope. I did not. :D

I do, however completely believe the hair growth I experienced was due to some hormone regulation that came with low carbing and my initial weight loss.