Living the Lifestyle, Thursday, 08/22/2019

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,274 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for August are below:

Monday -Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)
Wednesday - myallforjc (Bill)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - whathapnd (Emmie)

Today's Topic: Mentoring

Have you had the opportunity to mentor someone with regard to establishing a healthy lifestyle and/or losing weight? If so, what sort of advice did you provide?

Conversely, did you have a mentor to help you when you started out? Did they help or hinder you?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    I’ve found I’m generally better off in my own bubble. I happened to run across a couple of books that helped at times when I seemed to be open accepting what they had to say.

That said, I did get a number of useful ideas from my first ML.

When I started WW I kept quiet about it. One day a woman coworker cornered me and asked how I had lost the 30+ lbs I was down. I told her WW. She joined. It worked. Last time I saw her it was 8 years and still working.

Great topic. I’m fascinated by advice, both giving and receiving.

• steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Similar to @88olds, I kept quiet about joining WW. I was pretty embarrassed that I needed to lose weight and that I couldn't just do it myself. I think that really prevented me from helping others.

Likewise, I never really had a mentor.

All of this is said with the caveat that many folks on the WW GOAD board functioned as both mentors and mentees for me. It just wasn't a formal/defined relationship. I still view the advice and thought-processes that we discuss on MFP GOAD as "mentorship."
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,003 Member
    Options
    I've never been a mentor most likely because I've always been on the end of needing to lose weight and how could I mentor someone without the fruit on the tree.

When first starting out on the GoaD board 2010-2011 there were a couple of people who had lost an enormous amount of weight. I looked up to them without making it obvious but always listened very carefully to their post as in their attitude, demeanor and habits as much as possible. They probably never knew I was watching them as closely as I was. I was online only and still am but got the benefits of their discussions of weight loss and what worked so I guess you could sort of look at them as mentors. I still to this day keep myself in a bubble as @88olds referred with the exception of DW and GoaD. This platform is pretty much my only vent for attitude or support help if you will.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,274 Member
    Options
    The first time I did WW, I looked to my ML for guidance, and she was excellent. She had lost a tremendous amount of weight and kept it off for years. She also knew the ins and outs of the program.

The second time I did WW, I was working in Saudi Arabia, and I did online only...I quickly gravitated to GoaD - where, I too, found some excellent examples and very sage advice.

I have provided guidance to a few folks, which I guess counts as mentoring. But, frankly, at this stage, I am far more likely to be viewed as a mentor on the professional front than on the weight loss platform. ;)
  • SubVet688
    SubVet688 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Mentorship is very important, if it is right for you. By right for you, I mean the style of mentorship is right. I find as a mentor in order to be successful, like speaking or writing, you have to know your audience and be able to talk to them the way they are most receptive.

For dieting, I have been both the mentor and mentee. I prefer a male mentor as they know and have the experiences that are most like mine.

With WW, I tried the regular meetings. Locally they were inundated with women and response to a man in the midst was mixed. We lose weight differently and in some ways more easily. Muscle mass is truly a huge factor. Many would get jealous or feel uncomfortable because I would show big progress while they struggled for the odd ounce lost.

I had to do the online for my comfort and for thiers. I found GOAD and that helped a lot. The same struggles and the same successes. We were able to relate and knew our audience more. At least for the most part.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,701 Member
    Options
    My class at WW. mentored me until changes took place with the sugar changes than things fell apart and started ganing . i am on my own and doing much better doing things my way.