Living The Lifestyle - - Friday, August 23, 2019

Options
whathapnd
whathapnd Posts: 1,242 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for August are below:

Monday -Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)
Wednesday - myallforjc (Bill)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - whathapnd (Emmie)

Today's Topic: That Voice In Your Head

Most people have an inner voice that provides commentary on various aspects of their life. How active is your inner voice when it comes to your diet/health? What sorts of things does the voice say to you? Would working on changing your internal narrative benefit your diet/better health efforts?

Bonus Question: On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 representing "Not at All," and 10 representing "Can't Happen Fast Enough," how much are you looking forward to cooler weather.

Replies

• whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I realized recently that my inner voice is most active when things are NOT going well. This applies to all aspects of my life, not just weight loss efforts. I struggle most in the winter months, and that voice will say things like, " Why can't you make better choices, nice job blowing your plan, what is wrong with you?" While my voice is also complimentary, (Woo-hoo, great job tracking all week!), I think I would benefit from some deliberate work either getting the internal voice to be more positive or shutting it up altogether and just focusing on habits.

Bonus Question: 10!!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    I think I succeeded in weight loss mostly by figuring out how to argue with myself and win. I don’t think it’s possible to silence the inner voice at all. I mean it even goes when I’m sleeping. Weirder, but still going.

I used to think that goal of meditation was to turn the voice off. But now it seems that it’s more a matter of slowing it down and standing apart and observing.

But lately I’ve started thinking that part of the problem with the voice is not everything I identify as a “thought” is one. Meaning not everything that the voice says is the result of deliberative process. Because the voice cannot stop itself, a lot of what it puts out is filler. Childhood memories, good and bad, rants about other drives, funny lines from the 3 Stooges, ancient defeats, my grandmothers phone number, a review of prior failed weight loss efforts. That stuff isn’t thinking. Those are habits that my brain has.

Think the mistake a lot of people make is being disturbed by negative thoughts that pop up and think they have to stop them or flip them to positives. Negative thoughts only need to be neutralized or weakened. That will get us a net positive brain.

Cooler weather? 1. Maybe a function of age Maybe losing the last 30 lbs. I’m cold a lot. I’ve been freezing in Chicago the past 2 weeks, it’s 70- mid 80s. Looking forward to getting back to Key West.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,966 Member
    Options
    I tend to think of it as 2 voices, 1 is the angel on my right shoulder saying things like "be sure & track what you ate" or "why not have an apple instead of a bag of chips". The other voice is the demon on my left shoulder saying things like "you don't need to track this" and "what could it hurt to have a piece of cake".
    I will at various point listen to 1 or the other, but that is the reality of life in making choices.

Bonus Question, 10 I want it so bad that we are leaving coastal Virginia on Sunday and taking our RV to coastal Maine for 3 weeks ! Cannot wait!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    My inner voice is much more chatty about work matters these days but that translates into making me feel more anxious and then wanting to turn to food to calm myself. I'm trying to get focused so that I can knock off some key items from my to do list in order to be prepared for the start of the fall semester on Monday.

Bonus Question - 10!!! I'm so done with heat and humidity. @88olds - the only time that I've been cold here in Chicago (suburbs) the past few months is in the over air-conditioned basement that I work in during the mornings. It is particularly cold this morning and I have my emergency fleece on over my sweater. I'm trying to think of an excuse to go walk outside for a few minutes to warm up.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    @gadgetgirlIL

I was the guy standing on the corner pouring sweat when it was 72 degrees. Then one day about 10 years ago I got cold in Chicago and never got warm again.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,701 Member
    Options
    I would like my inner thought s to stop telling me to eat ice cream.
    2 I am not looking forward to fall or winter at all. I enjoy not wearing a jacket or coat.