Puffy Under My Eyes, is it normal?

Options
Gamliela
Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
Just asking because I've taken diet breaks a few times before and never experienced this.

Do your under eyes retain water if you eat significantly more carbs and less protien for a few days?
Its not like I ate sugary pastries or such. It was just less protien, less dairy and nuts and a lot more of rice, fruit, and porridge type things. My lower legs also retained a lot of water and felt swollen by the third day.

The only other thing I did was slow down on excersize at the same time, but not quiting excersize.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Rice, fruit, and porridge are significantly higher in carbs.
    https://huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/11/05/do-carbs-make-you-retain-water_a_23265193/
    Do carbs make you retain water?
    "Carbohydrate intake can lead to water retention," Jessica Spendlove, accredited practising dietitian and performance dietitian, told HuffPost Australia.

This is all because of the way carbs are stored in our bodies. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as some stored carbs play a role in providing energy between meals.

"Some of the carbs you consume are stored in the form of glycogen. For every one gram of carbohydrate stored in the body (as glycogen) there is approximately 2-3 grams of water retained.
    When it comes to carbs and retaining water, do healthy complex carbs (like whole grains, fruits and vegetables) result in less retention compared to simple, processed carbs (like chips, pizza and doughnuts)?

"In terms of water retention, not necessarily, as it is more about the storage of carbohydrate in the body (as glycogen) which impacts how much water is retained,"

Once you lower your carb levels again you will lose the stored water.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Right, I see what you mean! Thanks for the quote, I think I assumed comlex carbs wouldn't be the same for problems with water retention.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately carbs from any source will cause me to retain water and get puffy under my eyes and in my lower legs. It is the main reason I keep my carbs low--hate that puffiness!
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Me too!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I see the water retention on the scale. I don't really notice it in my body but man that scale jumps as much as 7 lbs sometimes with an increase in carbs. The type of carb impacts what I see in my face (under eye and jaw line) I don't see really any puffiness if the increase in carbs is from veg but if it's alcohol or refined sugars or starch...yep. I'll notice a bit in the mirror.