Gestational diabetes anyone?

Options
ab6046
ab6046 Posts: 371 Member
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes a couple of weeks ago and am looking for others in a similar situation. Please message me or add me if you are interested in connecting!

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I had it with both my last babies. I had a meeting with a diabetes educator at the hospital I was delivering at that wanted me to eat something like 250g of carbs a day and just add insulin as needed. I thought that was crazy and talked to my OB. She was find with me just staying low carb, about 50g give or take, a day and then just add insulin as i needed. My son I was able to keep my insulin at like 5 units every night, and with my daughter I was not as strict on carbs because I was still breastfeeding my son, so my insulin at night was up to 15 units by the end of the pregnancy.

Fasting numbers are virtually impossible to change, so dont stress over those. You can manage your numbers during the day easier with food choices and exercise, but fasting/overnight numbers arent affected by any of that.

HOWEVER, check with your doctor first. I never use the word keto to the doctor but use lower carb. They knew that if i was lower carb id have more ketones in my urine tests they take every time you have a doctor visit.
  • Yadagoy
    Yadagoy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes with 3 pregnancies. The first was undiagnosed and my baby's BG crashed after birth, prompting a stay at the NICU. (I gained 25 lbs.) The second was diagnosed early and controlled with diet. (I gained 13 lbs.) The third was also diagnosed early, but I was unable to control it with diet alone and had to add insulin. (I gained 0 pounds.) About 5 years after the last one, I was not diligent in taking measures to prevent disease progression, and I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.

Long story short, you can have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby with gestational diabetes, if you control your BG. But also keep in mind, that this condition predisposes you to Type 2 later on, so keep taking care of yourself after your baby is born.

Good luck.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Newer studies out there have shown that gestational diabetes, especially uncontrolled, also predisposes your child to diabetes later in life. So controlling your blood sugar both before, during, and after pregnancy is super important for both you and your children.
  • ab6046
    ab6046 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses, they were helpful and reassuring! My blood sugar seems to generally be easily controlled with food, and I’m still kind of learning what foods do and don’t work for me. My fasting blood sugar is the main one I’m struggling with. It’s generally very close to range or in range, so I’ve been experimenting with my nighttime snack to see if I notice any patterns. None so far!