Living The Lifestyle, Tuesday, 9/10/19

Options
88olds
88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.p0

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for September are below:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - 88olds (George)
Wednesday - gavinflynn1 (Gavin)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today’s Topic: Weight Loss v Life

Still exploring the weight loss/living balance. Or is it the lack of balance?

Does today’s topic seem right to you? Are your life and your weight loss plan adversaries? Who’s winning? How?
Has being involved in weight loss made your life better or worse? If it’s worse, why are you involved in this at all?

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    At my and TOL's age, life (read health) issues disrupt our balance, but we're both still committed (apt word?) to our weight loss plan.
    Being involved with the weight loss has, and continues to bring way too many benefits to discard completely, however, there are many occasions where it's on the back burner.

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    No doubt there were plenty of times earlier in my life when trying to lose weight made my life worse in terms of the obsession that it brought about.

But somewhere along the line, I found balance and have built daily sustainable habits that support a healthy weight. Having watched my mother struggle greatly with mobility issues brought about by excessive weight, I'm grateful to have dodged that bullet for now. I know that there are a great deal of other medical conditions that can impair mobility even in normal weight individuals so I try never to take anything for granted.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I don't think my life and weight loss plan are adversaries. I guess I'd consider them adversaries if how I WANTED to live/eat didn't match up with how I'm TRYING to live/eat. The two are in synch. (Though I'd love to eat as many potato chips as I want maybe once a week.)

Being involved with weight loss has definitely improved my life. In addition to the invisible health benefits, I think I'm much more self-aware - - and not just about eating. I'm aware of how I talk to myself, and I'm aware of how hard it is for me to form new habits. The majority of my work needs to be about developing healthy habits and routines.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,574 Member
    Options
    I think if they are adversarial then I don't think I am on a long term winning track. The idea for me is a sustainable lifestyle I can enjoy not endure or succeed inspite of it. While it does mean I cannot have pie whenever I want or waddle out of a Chinese Restaurant whenever I want, I find these are not quality of life issues for me. Well perhaps in the moment of desire.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,701 Member
    Options
    I use to have a good balance but since my wife's illness I am struggling