Slower Weight loss at 50?

Options

Replies

• Pirates43
    Pirates43 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hey, gang! I'm an NS refugee of the highest order. Amazed myself in 2011 with a huge loss ... spent a few years gaining it all back, and have been bouncing off rock bottom for a long, long time. I am over 50 [60 1/2] and attempting to recapture that magic. Need a place to pull some energy from. Can I play?
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Welcome Pirates 43. I think we have all been there lost and gained it all back.
    I just started getting back on track a few days ago. It is a struggle but we know it can be done.
    We are a small group but do what we can to support each other.
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,156 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hi all.
    Jo, you might try 2 tablespoons of baking soda in 1 cup of water for 3 minutes. We were going to get flu shots yesterday, but there was a 45 minute wait, so we put it off...hope your arm feels better soon. Best wishes with the eye surgery. We've got some sun here today, but it's very hot.
    Ed, hot here too. Glad I have AC!
    Irene, good day to take it easy. Mmmm...I love pumpkin flavor.
    Val, you are so busy! Stay cool.
    Hi Jan!
    Went to painting class this a.m. Saw a video on Vermeer, amazing use of light.
    Keeping it simple today.
    Happy Thursday, everyone. :)
    Pirates43...just saw you there on the next page...welcome aboard. Yep, we've all gained some back. Never give up.
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,655 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I got shot today. Flu season supposedly started early. I don't usually get shot until mid-October but the doctor wanted to go ahead, since I was there to discuss the latest blood work anyway, all of which looked fantastic.

My left arm is in the usual pain. but it only hurts when I use it, move it, or lay on it. LOL.
  • hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    Hi All. Welcome back Pirate! In 2015 i lost 80 pounds. Then got injured where I couldn’t walk for a year and turned to food for pain relief. Gained it all back. Fully able to walk again. Start of this tear lost 40 pounds. And have been wobbling again.
    Take care, Val
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Welcome Pirate!! I struggle losing the same 25 lbs over and over. Bad since I have a hundred to lose, at least. But one day!! I am going to keep trying!!
    Irene, I struggle with the church food! It is like putting an alcoholic in charge of a bar. :s They eat on Weds. and birthdays and days that end with "y". But I do like them!!
    I feel so much better with less meds. I actually have energy. It is scary how exhausted I had become and with just a slight adjustment..I can now get thru a day. Still get tired..but that is being 66 and overweight.
    My ex had been in the AF for 20 years. We were stationed in Montana, Colorado, Louisiana, Al. and in Germany twice. My kids grew up mostly in Europe. My daughter still misses it. After retirement my ex worked as a civilian in Al. at the AF base which was our last assignment. I worked in the hospital as a unit sec. 20 years eventually floating to all 9 floors at night. Very stressful. My ex did re-enactments from the later 1700's at a local Fort here that was preserved.I went a few times but I was too tired to do that as I worked 40 hours and night shift. He began to see a lady ( and I mean see..) from there and asked for a divorce at Thanksgiving . We had been married for 41 years. Rough year but actually fine now. I am still trying to get things thrown out and cleaned up. I was fortunate enough to get the house and all our dogs, 4 at the time, and our 2 horses. In view of the circumstances he did not have much choice, but everything else we split 50/50. All my dogs died from old age, as did 1 horse, who lived to be 30. My last horse I lost when his intestines twisted. He was only 19. It was a shock to everyone. I walked him for 18 hours and gave him meds and thought he would make it. He was able to ..drop his business..I guess is the best way to put it, but he started again. I had to put him down. The surgery would be about 6500 dollars with little hope he might make it, or he would have it happen again. You now know the rest of my life, lol..which is a funny way to answer if we were in the AF. !! Yes. :)
    Vix, glad you like your hair! Wish we could see some of your work!! Jo, what kind of seed did you put down? Ed, glad you got a rest!! Val, glad you are hanging in there!! 99 degrees here and not a drop of rain for the last 2 wks.
    Take care all!! Jan
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,120 Member
    Options
    good morning, Wow Jan glad things have gotten better for you. My husband was air force we really didn't travel much most of our time was in ca then Spokane Wa and now back to nj both of our family's from Pa about 3 hours from us. welcome pirate I am about 5 pounds from goal I have been with ns for years but just this past February I decided to finally get rid of this extra weight so I followed the plan and started to do the treadmill I do about 5 miles a day. Val glad you are able to walk. Jo glad you are going a head and get the surgery. Vix and ED I need to get my flu shot take care everyone
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Good morning;
    I went to the gym this morning and did 2 miles on the treadmill and used some of the exercise machines. Day 3 of trying to stay on track and logging my food.
    Jan-Glad you are feeling better with the change in meds. I didn't plant any grass seed yet. It is a very shady area and I need to research which kind will grow best there.
    Ed-my arm is feeling much better 3 days after the shot.
    Irene-I know you will reach your goal. You are so good about exercising and following the plan.
    Val-how is work going? When is Bordeaux's next training session?
    Vix-I will try the baking soda. The vinegar didn't work. It is only going into the 60's today, so I plan on opening all the windows and airing out the house. I learned my lesson, I will watch the popcorn carefully from now on.
    Hi Pirate 43.
    Laundry, a few errands and yard work on the agenda for today.
    Have a good one. :)
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy. It's fantastic Friday! Looking at another hot one, with 20% chance of precipitation. I need to get out for a couple of things.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Ed, good for you...safe from the flu!
    Val, congrats on losing 40 pounds this year....that's amazing!
    Jan, sounds like you've had an interesting life living in all those places. Was the divorce and all recent? Sounds really rough. Glad you're through it now.
    Irene, nice that you're so close to goal.
    Hi Jo, hope you're enjoying your time off.
    Hi Pirate, jump on in.
    I got my new phone in the mail last night. I think I'll take it to the Verizon store for them to set it up for me.
    Rained overnight. Cloudy and cooler today...high of 71.
    Also have PT this morning. Then the rest of the day is free.
    Happy Friday, everyone. :)
  • Buttons61
    Options
    Hello!
    Vix, it has been about 4 1/2 years now. I actually still am not settled in the home yet. Just busy and I am slow! Oddly life in most ways is so much better. Sad to say not much difference in my ex gone. He spent a lot of the last years not really present anyway. To me divorce was not an option. Fixing was..but... I know most of you are married for a long time. It is precious and so easy to take for granted. However, it does take two! <3
    Irene, I would have liked to have been stationed in California once! Sounds really fun!! Congratulations on losing almost to your goal. Much work and dedication there!!
    Jo, People burned popcorn a lot at work. :# It took days to get the smell out! The nice part was we were next to a fire station and lots of cute firemen came to the rescue! Administration finally banned employees from making it for a while. Try burning some candles. That helps sometimes!
    Hi Val!! I know you are busy!! Hi to Pirate!! Hope you post!!
    Have a great week end all!! B) Record high 100 yesterday and will be today!!
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Boudreaux’ classes are Sunday evenings. Work is stupidly busy and one lady is on vacation and another is having a baby.
    Pet peeve of mine—burnt popcorn smell! 😝
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy. It's satisfying Saturday! Pool party this afternoon, so the baked beans for 50 are in the oven. 30% chance of scattered thunder showers but a high temp of only 88 so it should be a great day for it!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Jan, sounds like you have moved on. Always good to roll with the punches, and take the opportunity to find a better way.
    Val, seems like you never get a break (other than your vacation!...so glad you were able to do that!) Hope you are feeling better.
    Ed...more parties! Yay! Enjoy.
    Jo, you're doing well with the gym and getting back on track. I got right back on after the wedding, but my body is just starting to get back to normal 2 weeks later.
    Irene, what part of California did you live in...I went to school out there...loved it.
    Hi Pirate.
    May go to get flu shots today. Do some chores around the house, run some errands. Nothing special planned, but that's a good thing. ;)
    Happy Saturday, everyone. :)
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,120 Member
    Options
    good morning everyone, well we had a great visit with the vet . Annie is doing so much better of course there will always be the chance of sudden death. But he upped her meds and he wants to see her in 3 weeks they did ekg maybe next time they will put the vest on her to see what's going on with her heart. He still wants us to exercise her so we will be taking our walks again Vix we were station at Beale afb which is northern Ca and the second one was central Ca we were like 2 hours from San Francisco it was a nice area we use to go to San Francisco a lot on the weekends but now it is a mess .We spend 14 years in CA. Jo awesome on getting back on track . Jan I think it is always hard when you go threw a divorce. But it seems like you are doing well Wow Val you are so busy. Ed enjoy your party. Hi Pirate. take care everyone
  • eku0
    Options
    Irene...Beale is not far from where I was. I went to school in Davis, probably 30 or 40 miles south of the AFB, not far from Sacramento. Also lived in the San Jose, Palo Alto area for a year...I loved being close to San Francisco. All that was over 40 years ago. I'm sure it's much different now. I like Washington state too. Pretty there. Glad Annie is doing well.
  • eku0
    Options
    Attaching some of my stained glass.
    This is one of my earlier pieces:
    x8afeydiofgb.png
    This is my favorite so far:
    wgtm07jg8yv3.png
    And this is my most recently completed piece:
    cyl8qz3m5ddl.png

• Buttons61
    Options
    Oh my gosh, Vix! Those are so beautiful!!! They look like they would be so hard to do!! I love the rippling in the flower one!! <3
    Well, PartyAnimal suites you Ed! Lots of beans!! They are a favorite of mine. I wish my church group ate more of them. They tend to go after field peas and the like and not baked beans!
    Val, I hope you are able to get out this week end with your group!! So glad you found them!!
    Irene, Glad Annie is doing so well! I would have loved to seen San Fran. Lots of places have not aged well in a lot of places. Kinda sad. I look at places in Ohio that are gone that I enjoyed as a child. Lots of people miss them so it is surprising they are not still in existence. Thinking of Cedar Point and Geauga Lake that did not survive as the huge amusement parks took over. Always wanted one of the merry go round carousel horses that were sold or junked.. :#
    Jo, seems like your vacation was moving fast! Where does time go??
    Have a wonderful week end all!.... :)
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Vix - your stained glass creations are gorgeous. Love each one.
    Jan - i lived 8 years in Ohio, plus 4 in Indiana. I love Cedar Point. My hiking group went out of town today so Boudreaux and I walked alone locally. I bought a 20-ft leash and took himto an open field with no people or dogs. He just sat next to me leaning on me. I tried to get him to go, would not leave my side. If i ran, he ran. If I stopped, he stopped. I really am his safe-base.
    Ed - are the pool parties at someone’s house or a rented public pool. Sounds fun.
    Irene - glad Annie is doing well. But it’s so scary when your dog could be completely fine forever or just die. With my Lucy’s seizure, that’s where the vet left it. She could be fine or just die. I guess it’s that way for all living beings...i just prefer to live in denial.
    Pirate - are you doing the NS plan? Or what is your current eating plan? I did great on keto first 1/2 of this year, but am having a hard time getting my self-discipline back.
    Joanne - way to go on the treadmill! I need to get back in that routine.
    My Saturday includes walking w Boudreaux; working; and errands. I’d rather be at Ed’s pool party!
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy. It's sumptuous Sunday! A bit hotter today, but at least it stayed nice for the pool party. The parties are at a private residence but they own a fairly large property. Here is what the baked bean dish looked like at the end of the party:

62xyk67gljdu.png

I am moving a bit slow this morning and am pretty sure I want a nap today.