HOW????

Options
Hello. I've been tracking my calories and macros, checking in each day etc. etc for awhile now. I determined that I prefer a LCHF over the last three years but I've never gone so far as keto. Now that my husband is very interested in trying keto, I'm looking to make the shift from just LCHF to full on keto so that I can help him with meal planning, cooking etc. It's just easier if we're eating the same things at meal times.

Trouble is, I usually consume about 100g of carbs/day and am having a heck of a time seeing how anyone ever eats less than 50g never mind less than 30g. I do like dairy which can be carby but, when looking at some keto meal plans online, a recipe for one meal often has more than 50g of carbs alone. For example: pork chops over quinoa with spiralized beet and arugula salad is something I could definitely see myself enjoying but it's got 53g of net carbs according to the nutritional information. What am I supposed to eat for breakfast and lunch that has -3g of carbs in it?

Keto always seemed like a very restrictive and demanding WOE, which is why I've shied away from it for the last 1300 days. I'd like to give it a go for husband's sake but I just don't see how it can be done. And I'm kind of rambling not really asking any questions for which I apologize. I guess maybe looking over some people's diaries might help if anyone was willing to allow me to do so. Also, if anyone felt similar to the way I do right now when they first got started, I'd be grateful to know I'm not alone and to share in your experiences, how you overcame this sense of impossibility gripping me right now.

Sorry if this has been covered a bajillion times, I don't see a way to search within a specific group.

Replies

• chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    For me, I pretty much had to give up all grains, like quinoa, flour, rice, pastas, potatoes, etc. in order to keep my carbs low enough. (I don't know the specific difference between LCHF and keto, but I aim for 30 g carbs/day).

You could consider how much quinoa is in the serving. If it is 1 cup, maybe only eat 1/2 cup?

It seems like your husband could eat whatever meat & veggies you cook, and you could add the quinoa for yourself if you prefer a higher amount of daily carbs. Also, it's not like 50 is a magical number. If you had a meal with 53 g carbs, so be it. Nothing bad is going to happen if you eat 3 extra grams, for most people. Personally, I try to spread my 30 carbs between lunch & dinner. Breakfast is usually eggs and almond milk latte (2 g carbs). I mainly eat meat, eggs, non-starchy vegetables, full fat yogurt, nuts & seeds (in measured amounts because those have carbs), some cheeses.

It was a process (a few weeks) to wrap my brain around what I can eat and cannot eat, but ultimately it is a decision that you make. I think people who opt for keto because of medical issues find it easier to be committed to keto when they see the health results, compared to people trying keto solely as a weight-loss plan. People say it is not sustainable, but it is when you feel better and have better health outcomes from this way of eating.
  • nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Do you like eggs? Add some cheese? Protein packed with low low carbs. Most of my dinners are protein - chicken, steak, fish-baked, broiled or sautéed with veggies and lunch is protein with a salad filled with all kinds of add ins like olives, cheese, avocado, tomatoes. I love my food and yet I have not found it difficult at all. I try to keep my net carbs around 20g and have been ok with it. The first week or two I struggled with avoiding carbs like pasta and bread but once I got past the initial 2 weeks and felt so much better, my carb cravings disappeared. Travel around the low carb and this group and you will find a lot of info. Good luck.
  • itzcath
    itzcath Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Keto isn't for everyone. After I lost 50+ pounds 2 girls in my office jumped on the keto wagon. It didn't last long for either of them.

Just cutting sugar and doing exactly what your doing now (and familiar with) might be a good start if he isn't eating that way already.

Paleo is also a good start for cutting sugar and processed food. We all need to find what works for us, makes sense and is sustainable.
  • nickynoonoo4
    nickynoonoo4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I’m just starting week 3. Been in Ketosis about 2 weeks. I test on a blood kit and average around 2.5. I e had to get rid of all carbs - just the hidden carbs in food add up to my 20g! No grains, sugars, fruit etc. Other than avocado and a few berries. I take electrolyte supplements and magnesium/potassium tablet as have suffered keto flu. This is fine now. Also lots of water! Happy to share my diary if anyone interested! It’s the start of a long journey. I’m not craving sweet any more but Diet Doctor keto bread with coconut flour helps me out! I sometimes slip into ‘dirty keto’ ie not clean (olives sunflower oil on occasion etc). Beware some facebook groups can be quite sanctimonious about it! I have to find alternatives to rice etc - cauliflour rice fried in butter & garlic is lush! Read lots, join groups. Also watch The Magic Pill on Netflix. It will transform your attitude to carbs! Good luck.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Trouble is, I usually consume about 100g of carbs/day and am having a heck of a time seeing how anyone ever eats less than 50g never mind less than 30g. I do like dairy which can be carby but, when looking at some keto meal plans online, a recipe for one meal often has more than 50g of carbs alone. For example: pork chops over quinoa with spiralized beet and arugula salad is something I could definitely see myself enjoying but it's got 53g of net carbs according to the nutritional information. What am I supposed to eat for breakfast and lunch that has -3g of carbs in it?

Keto always seemed like a very restrictive and demanding WOE, which is why I've shied away from it for the last 1300 days. I'd like to give it a go for husband's sake but I just don't see how it can be done. And I'm kind of rambling not really asking any questions for which I apologize. I guess maybe looking over some people's diaries might help if anyone was willing to allow me to do so. Also, if anyone felt similar to the way I do right now when they first got started, I'd be grateful to know I'm not alone and to share in your experiences, how you overcame this sense of impossibility gripping me right now.

Sorry if this has been covered a bajillion times, I don't see a way to search within a specific group.

I'm not sure anything "with quinoa" can be considered keto. Drop the quinoa, though, and it's perfectly keto.

And it's really as simple as that. Try not to overthink it.

Meat + non-starchy vegetables = keto.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I'm open for adds and have an open diary.

Quinoa is definitely a keto no-no.

Dairy is okay, just the full fat creams and cheeses. I traded milk for half and half or heavy cream. Can water down either to get consistency of preferred milk. Or use unsweetened almond milk.

I cut grains, breads, beans, legumes, vegetable oils, and starchy vegetables and fruit. Anything that causes inflammation.

My 1st meal of day is usually eggs, leftover dinner meat, cheeses, cooked in olive oil and/or butter, topped with avocados, tomatoes, olives, onions, cilantro. Or something like cheese and meats over greens with veggies for a salad with fatty dressing.

Dinner: meat and veggies (broccoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, squash, etc) seared or baked in olive oil and/or butter. Sometimes topped with cheeses.

Can make things like spaghetti squash spaghetti, or Alfredo, it basil pesto.

Lots of flavor profiles to play with too, Mid-Eastern, Indian, Greek, etc.

I eat veggies every day, been adding a fruit or two, and still coming in around 20-30 net carbs.
  • NCSophie
    NCSophie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm not real clear on where you found "pork chops over quinoa with spiralized beet and arugula salad" as a keto meal plan, but I'd recommend you look some place else for ideas. I'm not much on meal plans so can't help you there. I eat a lot of leafy greens and cruciferous veggies and a small amount of berries as the biggest contributors to my daily carbs.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    NCSophie wrote: »
    I'm not real clear on where you found "pork chops over quinoa with spiralized beet and arugula salad" as a keto meal plan, but I'd recommend you look some place else for ideas. I'm not much on meal plans so can't help you there. I eat a lot of leafy greens and cruciferous veggies and a small amount of berries as the biggest contributors to my daily carbs.

I found it on a website purporting to be full of keto recipes. The internet is full of unhelpful people who think they know a lot.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Keto has a wide range of versions, and for some, the carbs in quinoa wouldn't be a problem.

1 cup cooked quinoa is 39 carbs (5 of which are fiber), so it's a food many people can fit, particularly if you cut the portion size down from a cup to half a cup.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    The reasons beans and legumes and some oils are on the anti keto list, even though these foods are zero to low carb, centers around foods known to cause inflammation.

Keto was originally designed for medical issues. So avoiding foods that cause inflammation is needed for some health issues.

Yes, these foods generally fit into a low carb diet.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    ...or pasta...or rice...those are my 3 favorite carbs

I like quinoa if it's cooked in beef or vegetable broth, but most people cook it in water and it's so bland...my mother is a huge fan of amaranth, but the texture of that one is just kind of ick to me...no idea how she cooks it or if cooking it differently would even matter.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Agree, when I break my keto low carb intake... It's usually on sushi rolls, bread, or Starbucks.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    @born_of_fire74 Hi! 🌞

I’ve done LCHF and keto. I prefer keto...it can be hard if you enjoy certain foods- but there is a keto hack for everything! For instance - I love a great slice of rosemary bread every once in a while- I made this loaf of bread below and 1 half inch slice has 5 carbs. Now I can’t eat the entire loaf- but I can have a few slices. Find a keto understudy for whatever carby food you like and it will be easier! This loaf is almond meal and coconut flour with a ton of herbs and eggs. Everyone remarks on how they didn’t even know it was keto!

bq89cgucugkv.jpeg

These are my macros today- I try to stay under 30 carbs. This is with 🥬 6 servings of non starchy vegetables, 1 low sugar fruit, some poultry, fish 🐟 and snails 🐌 ! I don’t feel deprived and my skin looks great when I’m on this 💯 percent.

Hope it works out and cheers to healthy living! 😉

f20gub30qr51.jpeg
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    @born_of_fire74 Hi! 🌞

I’ve done LCHF and keto. I prefer keto...it can be hard if you enjoy certain foods- but there is a keto hack for everything! For instance - I love a great slice of rosemary bread every once in a while- I made this loaf of bread below and 1 half inch slice has 5 carbs. Now I can’t eat the entire loaf- but I can have a few slices. Find a keto understudy for whatever carby food you like and it will be easier! This loaf is almond meal and coconut flour with a ton of herbs and eggs. Everyone remarks on how they didn’t even know it was keto!

bq89cgucugkv.jpeg

These are my macros today- I try to stay under 30 carbs. This is with 🥬 6 servings of non starchy vegetables, 1 low sugar fruit, some poultry, fish 🐟 and snails 🐌 ! I don’t feel deprived and my skin looks great when I’m on this 💯 percent.

Hope it works out and cheers to healthy living! 😉

f20gub30qr51.jpeg

Since I’ve been pointing out the wide variety of things husband eats that really don’t fit into a keto diet, he seems a lot less motivated. He really likes quinoa ^.^

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Maybe LCHF is a better option then 😉 🤗
  • TheMerryMermaid
    TheMerryMermaid Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi I’m just starting week 3. Been in Ketosis about 2 weeks. I test on a blood kit and average around 2.5. I e had to get rid of all carbs - just the hidden carbs in food add up to my 20g! No grains, sugars, fruit etc. Other than avocado and a few berries. I take electrolyte supplements and magnesium/potassium tablet as have suffered keto flu. This is fine now. Also lots of water! Happy to share my diary if anyone interested! It’s the start of a long journey. I’m not craving sweet any more but Diet Doctor keto bread with coconut flour helps me out! I sometimes slip into ‘dirty keto’ ie not clean (olives sunflower oil on occasion etc). Beware some facebook groups can be quite sanctimonious about it! I have to find alternatives to rice etc - cauliflour rice fried in butter & garlic is lush! Read lots, join groups. Also watch The Magic Pill on Netflix. It will transform your attitude to carbs! Good luck.

Hi @nickynoonoo4 Where do you find the "hidden carbs"? That's scary- I didn't know those existed. : :#
    Also why are olives considered dirty Keto? I often see people referring to dirty Keto and mentioning olives. Olives are not processed foods and their nutrients are perfect for Keto. I thought dirty Keto eating is more like American cheese slices or processed hot dogs. Would love to know your thoughts. B)
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options

Hi @nickynoonoo4 Where do you find the "hidden carbs"? That's scary- I didn't know those existed. : :#
    Also why are olives considered dirty Keto? I often see people referring to dirty Keto and mentioning olives. Olives are not processed foods and their nutrients are perfect for Keto. I thought dirty Keto eating is more like American cheese slices or processed hot dogs. Would love to know your thoughts. B)

Same thought, I wouldn't consider olives dirty, especially organic. They are high fat which fits keto.

And when researching keto on the medical side of it...I never saw olives listed as a Keto no-no.

Inflammation foods (vegetable oils, seed oils, legumes and beans) I understand. Things that spike insulin, I get. But I never read anything about olives causing any medical concern. I eat them a lot... They haven't kicked me out of ketosis or caused any bloating...