Pregnant?

Options
LolaDeeDaisy23
LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
Anyone lifting and trying to conceive and/or pregnant? I've heard it's good to do resistance training while pregnant. Thoughts?

Replies

• StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It would be ok to continue to lift during your pregnancy if you were already lifting, but you would need to scale back the weight and wouldn't be able to do some exercises (bench after the first trimester would be a no no, I probably wouldn't deadlift either as your belly would get in the way).

If you are already pregnant, now isn't the time to start NROLFW or other weight program. You would be better off taking some pre-natal yoga classes or swimming and walking, keeping some activity going but less impactfull and nothing too taxing.

ETA: I would lift during pregnancy, but everything would depend on how I was feeling. I would definitely scale back the weight, probably by 50%, and I would switch to more high rep/ low weight stuff just to maintain some strength with the intention of restarting a few months (3 months plus) after baby is here.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I lifted through the first half of my pregnancy. You have to stop doing certain moves because there are hormones that loosen up your ligaments and can make you much more likely to injure yourself. I was already lifting for awhile before pregnancy and I just maintained when I was pregnant. I definitely think it helped me in childbirth!