SlimFast Keto

Options
mor72
mor72 Posts: 83 Member
Any of you doing SlimFast Keto? If yes how are you getting on with it?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn’t recommend it. It’s not real food and isn’t helping you develop a long term new way to eat to maintain whatever you might achieve.
    Plus most of that stuff isn’t really keto as it contains ingredients that are actually quite carby but through sneaky labeling you wouldn’t know it.
  • gabi_texanmom
    gabi_texanmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I almost bought the Slim-Fast coffee creamer (it was on sale at my store and placed front and center of the store). I even put it in my cart. I walked around and found a lower-carb and cheaper cream. After comparing labels, I put it right back.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Agree with both above. I buy protein shakes for my daughter, but the Atkins or generic ones are cheaper with the exact same nutritional value.

I don't usually do shakes or bars unless exhausted from work or in the car with no other options. I prefer whole real foods.

• bustercrabby
    bustercrabby Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    To me, Slimfast is a complete waste of money, simply because it does not satisfy like eating actual food. As others have said, it is not real food. Heavy cream is the best, not Slimfast creamer.

I find that following keto means you will be making all your meals from actual food. A lot of work, but well worth it. I make at least four servings of each meal so I'm not always making stuff.

Just watch your macros and you should be fine without having to spend money on pre-packaged stuff.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have done slimfast and other shakes before, quite easily and successfully...but that was at a time where getting away from my desk to even pick up food was frequently not an option, or where being on the phone necessitated not having a random mouth loaded with food...so having something shelf stable and drinkable on hand was a life saver in terms of getting any nutrition in...I do prefer having actual food to chew given the option...find what fits your life.

I was not keto back then, so I don't know what those particular shakes taste like, but they had like a double chocolate or double fudge that I used to just love love love...like drinking the chocolatiest milkshake imaginable.
  • Lesssambytheday
    Lesssambytheday Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know I'm late to the party, but I'd just like to add... I did a similar shake program a couple of years ago (Exante in the UK), and while I agree that for the long-term one has to evolve toward "real" food and cooking, it was a great way to get me started into the Low Carb lifestyle. I learned how many carbs per day actually works for me and I adapted my pantry items to Low Carb options. Also, there is just no substitute for that simple quick start when you're beginning a weight loss life change. So, I support the use of shake programs as a starter (and re-starter) step, and I still use protein shakes along with food in my current Low Carb lifestyle.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I loved the idea of Slimfast Keto when I first saw it a year or so ago. But after trying it.. it's not for me. It's hard to hit any reasonable ketogenic carb goals with it. It's big on "net" carbs. Some of the sweeteners/fillers used give me blood pressure issues. Add to that, it's not cheap.

If I need something sweet or protein packed, I usually get premier,quest, real good pizza, or at the very most Atkins. Atkins has a few of the same issues i have with Slimfast Keto. The slimfast keto plan just didn't seem very ketogenic. Lowcarb sure.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bad idea devoid of proper nutrition.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I just saw the "Keto" marketed slim fast for the first time yesterday at Wal-Mart.

I have to say I was offended and shocked at the price.

We saw them on the way to buy my daughter's Atkins shakes (sometimes she gets the slim fast advance 1 net carb--whichever is cheapest).

The ones labeled "keto" were over double the cost.