Hunger immediately after surgery

Options
I'm currently having pre-surgery workup for a sleeve. I've had my second weight check (of 4 required) and have a potential surgery date of late October. My question is, "is it likely that I will have normal hunger right after the surgery; and if so, how do I handle it?"

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it's not likely at all. For about the first year, I ate by schedule because I didn't really get hungry. Once the hunger actually starts kicking in though, it's back to normal and you have to be super conscientious of your eating.
  • SimplementeSM
    SimplementeSM Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with garber6th. I certainly wasn't hungry coming out of surgery. I really only ate at the hospital because the nurses and my mom kept reminding me I needed to eat!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat for 3 days after surgery (the nurses forgot to feed me, at least that's what they told my doctor. No drinks either)
    It was weird, i wasn't hungry at all, all the other patients were eating (it was a normal ward) and thier food didn't interest me in the slightest
  • bAseballmom122
    bAseballmom122 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Any one here from cobb co. Georgia
  • buxombrunette
    buxombrunette Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was hungry within a week of surgery. My appetite didn't change; only what/the amount my body could handle.
  • mcneilnomore
    mcneilnomore Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I didn't experience any hunger right after surgery. It took about four months before I could eat "normally". Normal in the sense that I was able to eat almost any type of food, albeit much smaller portions. I'm 20 months out now and can eat larger portions and feel real hunger. When real hunger kicks in is when the real work begins (imho). Some people feel hunger pains after surgery but that is more likely excess acid in the stomach. Your signals get crossed a bit so make sure to take those antacids. :) Good luck in your journey.
  • MariaChele
    MariaChele Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you will have absolutely no desire to eat what so ever. Maybe a week later, but it wont be the same.
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Every one is a bit different too, some people struggle more then others and some people don’t struggle at all, it’s super important to take it slow though cause your healing on the inside too :)
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I struggled (and still struggle) with hunger. Finding out if it’s actual hunger or just head hunger caused by outside factors (such as stress or emotions) is important. I was someone who started getting hungry soon after surgery; I was told to eat more protein.
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The next day after surgery I was absolutely starving!! I couldn't eat but the growling stomach was there and the hunger feeling. Even after eating now I still have the hunger feeling and growling stomach. It's like the top part of my stomach is full and I can't eat anymore but the bottom part is never fed and is constantly growling.
    It's really irritating but after 5 weeks I'm getting used to it.
    I honestly had hoped I would be on of those people who was never hungry but it doesn't look like it!! Although my NHS dietician did say to me that once I get on to proper solid food (one more week!!!! Hooray!!) I will probably feel differently! Fingers crossed!!