Living The Lifestyle Monday 9/23/19

Options
imastar2
imastar2 Posts: 5,966 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for September are below:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - 88olds (George)
Wednesday - gavinflynn1 (Gavin)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today's Topic: Living The Lifestyle and Focusing. Do you tend to focus on into the future or long term panning with your journey towards losing weight or maintaining your current status or Do you tend to focus on just today, this week or this month.

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    For my bike rides and hikes, the focus is in the future as what I do on a daily basis needs to work towards the goals I set for myself in those areas.

My work life is much more reactive and usually is focused on today and the rest of the week.

I do need to do something about the dwindling stock of pre-made food in my refrigerator. That involves fitting in a trip to Trader Joe's and then getting stuff into the crockpot. Sounds simpler than it actually is given my hectic schedule this week.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,987 Member
    Options
    I'm best when I plan ahead, even if only a day.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,700 Member
    Options
    Right now one day at a time.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    On Maintenance since May 2018, my goal is to look long term to never go above GW. The two times I got up close to my GW I reduced SPs to lose vs Maintenance.

My tracking has not been 100% but I stay aware of all the foods I think about eating when I used to eat Mindlessly.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    When I joined WW I found the weekly approach very helpful. Seems to me there were two keys to the weekly set up- the meeting/WI and the WPA. Without giving it much thought, I was suddenly working a week at a time.

I used to storyboard my weeks. I didn’t always fill in the menu. Sometimes it would just say “6 pt lunch” or “8 pt dinner”. But I was always on the lookout for special events or potential problems. It was a big help. I would try to visualize myself going through the week.

When I’ve turned to counting calories on MFP, I find I really miss the WPA. The WPA was a great thing.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,091 Member
    Options
    More day to day. I cannot live in the past and the future isn't here. while losing and for a year on maintenance I tracked daily. When I missed tracking I would estimate my points for the day and multiply by 1.5x. The exception to this was foreign travel. I was already into maintenance when I went to Mongolia, and lost weight there anyway. I slowly morphed into SFT simply filling over the course of a year.
    I am more of a "using staples" kind of cooking guy. I am aware daily.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,550 Member
    Options
    I think I have to keep it fairly short term, day to day, perhaps the coming week. But I do think about down the line more to help me maintain a focus. It doesn't always help but often helps me from wandering too far from camp.