Sugar cravings!?

Options
Hello all,

I have been strict low-carb/keto and intermittent fasting for 5 weeks now. After week 1 my appetite decreased and the sugar/carb (bread) cravings went away. Now today, after 5 weeks, the cravings have returned! Has anyone else dealt with this? or have a possible solution? I could understand the return of the cravings if I had a cheat day, but I haven't...

Thanks for your input!

AB

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I find those cravings to be hormonal and I tend to get them during PMS week.

Keto blunts them down, they aren't as bad as they used to be, but they still happen for me.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's when I started making the "keto" foods.

Keto peanut butter, cocoa, and/or coconut fat bombs.

Keto ice creams.

Keto breads. Including fathead pizza crust.

Cravings are gone again.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    If I get carb cravings it means I'm not eating enough calories. I usually eat two large meals a day and can't easily make those meals bigger so I add a large, 300-400 calorie snack to my day and that does the trick.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Possibly low sodium.
    Also, could be too little protein but I don’t know how much you’re getting.
    Low sodium is super common though.
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    Options
    Being Italian, pasta and pizza were probably my first solid foods after being weaned. After 6 months of eating low carb, and avoiding pasta and bread of any kind, two days ago I started having cravings for pizza (even dreaming about it). I gave in today and made a personal pan pizza, eating half and going waaay over my carb limit. I've tried Keto bread and Keto pizza but, I'm sorry, they just don't satisfy the craving for real pizza, which I've been missing. Now that the cravings have been sated, I don't think I'll have any trouble getting back on board.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Being Italian, pasta and pizza were probably my first solid foods after being weaned. After 6 months of eating low carb, and avoiding pasta and bread of any kind, two days ago I started having cravings for pizza (even dreaming about it). I gave in today and made a personal pan pizza, eating half and going waaay over my carb limit. I've tried Keto bread and Keto pizza but, I'm sorry, they just don't satisfy the craving for real pizza, which I've been missing. Now that the cravings have been sated, I don't think I'll have any trouble getting back on board.

I had tried a few recipes for pizza crust, and all were bad. I finally found one, everyone in house agreed was better than regular crust. Altered recipe a little, because I like NYC/Jersey/Philly style pizza. I wanted to be able to fold like real Northeast pizza. I'd have to look back through my screenshots to find it.
  • nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Emma, I would love a good pizza crust recipe. I love my NY pizza!!! Can't wait for you to find that recipe!!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    nrs101364 wrote: »
    Emma, I would love a good pizza crust recipe. I love my NY pizza!!! Can't wait for you to find that recipe!!

I'll run through my screenshots see if I can find it, and remember my altercations.

I don't get cravings too often for anything.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    The recipe calls for 3/4 mozzarella cheese. 2 tbsp cream cheese (microwaved together 90 seconds) add egg, add in 1/2 cup almond flour. Bake for 10 pull out, top, throw back in.

Well, I didn't have cream cheese, and don't own a microwave.

So, I melted in small sauce pan, 2 tbsp butter and maybe 2-4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese.

In mixing bowl, beat one egg, added butter/parmesan mix, added 3/4 cup mozzarella, stirred, then stirred in the almond flour. Can add more almond flour if needed, should be dough like.

Cut parchment paper to fit pizza pan, put dough on... Flattened and spread by hand. Baked 20 minutes, at 350, took out, topped, put back in for 10-15 until preferred doneness.

Let cool, cut into slices that were actually foldable. I also added a sprinkle of garlic powder and dried basil to mixture.