Which spring event are you training for?

Options
SteveTries
SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
As autumn rapidly approaches I find myself trying to focus on spring. It's tough getting the training done during the cold and dark months, so having a goal lined up and some events committed really helps.

What is your event? What is the goal? Are you trying anything different this year with your training?

After a great experience this year, I've entered the draw for London Marathon (April 26). I don't anticipate being lucky enough to get a place, so the backup plan is the Shakespeare Marathon at Stratford-Upon-Avon which is on the same day. It won't quite have the same level of support, but it is 20 mins from home and has some great scenery, so should be good.

I'd like to beat this years 3hr 45m by a full 5 mins.

Training-wise I plan on following the same approach as this year. I'll have my second Ironman 70.3 six weeks later so will be running a lot less than typical marathon training (avg 10 runs a month) but supplementing that with hours in the saddle and 1-2 swims per week. The main difference this year is that my cycling will be power (watts) based rather than HR.....good to have something new to explore!

Replies

• Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am 49 and only recently began to run seriously (within the past 4-5 years), mostly to lose weight. Never really had a goal or long racing in mind, but eventually entered a 5k, then another, then another eventually taking first place in my age group (small field of runners though). Entered my first 10k after that and once completed decided to begin training for a half marathon last year. About 4 weeks from the start of that half I injured myself (unrelated to running) that required 2 knee surgeries and many hours of PT. Started running again this year (having put some weight back on) and just finished another 10k race this past weekend (also took first in my age group, still a small field of runners). I am going to begin training for the half marathon I didn't get to complete last year with the simple goal of just finishing the race.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am 49 and only recently began to run seriously (within the past 4-5 years), mostly to lose weight. Never really had a goal or long racing in mind, but eventually entered a 5k, then another, then another eventually taking first place in my age group (small field of runners though). Entered my first 10k after that and once completed decided to begin training for a half marathon last year. About 4 weeks from the start of that half I injured myself (unrelated to running) that required 2 knee surgeries and many hours of PT. Started running again this year (having put some weight back on) and just finished another 10k race this past weekend (also took first in my age group, still a small field of runners). I am going to begin training for the half marathon I didn't get to complete last year with the simple goal of just finishing the race.

A man with unfinished business is a motivated man indeed!
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    @Graymanstole That must have been so frustrating! Well done for getting back into training, I hope you can run your half marathon this time.

I’m running Sheffield half marathon in March. I ran it last year in 2hrs 11mins. That was my first attempt at a half, and I just wanted to finish it without walking. This time I want to finish in less than 2 hours, so I’m including some speed workouts in my training.

Thinking further ahead, I want to do a full marathon next autumn. The Yorkshire Marathon would be perfect, but unfortunately I already have plans for that weekend! Any suggestions for a good marathon in the north/middle of England would be gratefully received!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @Graymanstole Good luck with your training. Getting to the starting line healthy is half the battle. Wishing you all the best!

@ThatJuJitsuWoman That's a great goal. Speedwork should definitely help!

I am running Big Sur marathon in April. It's been on my bucket list since I first saw photos of the course scenery in Runners World many years ago. I am really looking forward to enjoying this race with no time goal in mind. I tend to get too competitive with myself and I end up missing half of the course. I am NOT going to let that happen this time. I want to soak in every moment of the beautiful views!
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

I am running Big Sur marathon in April. It's been on my bucket list since I first saw photos of the course scenery in Runners World many years ago.

I looked at the photos of this course, it’s beautiful! I’m sure you’ll enjoy running it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I want to do a spring marathon, but haven't signed up for one yet. I'm very close to breaking 4 hours, so I'm looking for a flat one with decent weather in the East. I ran Myrtle Beach last year but would like to do a different state since so far all my races have been in different states (PA, AZ, MD, MA, SC). If my marathon is in April, I'll do a half in early March to gauge fitness. There is a local hilly one and another about 40 minutes away that are possibilities.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @Graymanstole Good luck with your training. Getting to the starting line healthy is half the battle. Wishing you all the best!

@ThatJuJitsuWoman That's a great goal. Speedwork should definitely help!

I am running Big Sur marathon in April. It's been on my bucket list since I first saw photos of the course scenery in Runners World many years ago. I am really looking forward to enjoying this race with no time goal in mind. I tend to get too competitive with myself and I end up missing half of the course. I am NOT going to let that happen this time. I want to soak in every moment of the beautiful views!

Yay! I live in the area and I ran the last leg of the relay last year.
  • peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Possibly Hyannis half marathon. Probably Providence RI as my first marathon, and bretton woods to Hampton beach Ragnar in September ... So far that and a local 10k I want to do sub one hour on are my plan this year.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Were/are there any Spring events this year? Kinda hoping an October event goes on as scheduled
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    The last race I ran (that wasn't virtual) was at the end of January. Everything else and been postponed or canceled. Next on my list is the GAP Relay in mid-June. So far they are holding out. We'll see....
  • cherryjiblue
    cherryjiblue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nike Melbourne Marathon Festival 2021 in October! Anyone here ?
  • AmyBarkerFitness
    AmyBarkerFitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I ran a half this past Saturday, no races again until the Bix 7 in July
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I'm here! Texas Trail Running Festival Marathon in 3 weeks and 5 days!