Living the Lifestyle Oct. 4, 2019

Options
goldenfrisbee
goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for October are below:

Monday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Tuesday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Wednesday - gavinflynn1 (Gavin)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - goldenfrisbee (Chris)

Today’s topic: Destructive Behavior

There is living the lifestyle, ignoring the lifestyle or backsliding, and total disregard for your health. Have you experienced a time in your life where you were knowingly eating for pure pleasure, or to stuff down feelings you didn't want to feel, with total disregard for your health. And if so, how did you pull yourself out of that downward spiral?

Replies

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,700 Member
    Options
    Right now I am backsliding. I keep reaching to to grab hold of something to stop me. I am emotionally eating and it is because of DW's kidney failure. I want to live the lifestyle and be healthy so I can help her when she needs. Besides I am at an obese high percent so I need to help myself to. I am thinking of my options for help just to get me back to the right frame of mind.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    I am at my highest weight ever, and at 60 this is getting to be a real burden. I lost 50lbs when I joined WW and then found this group. Since then I have been up and down, but for the last 6 months, I have been eating destructively. I have many things I need to do around the house and yard, and they are extremely difficult at this point. For the rest of this week and weekend, I am going to take it one day at a time. It is just too overwhelming when I look at how far I have to go to get to a healthy weight.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,899 Member
    Options
    Backsliding is something I do often, it frequently starts on vacation's but there are other events that will cause it as well partys dinners at a special resturaunt etc. I have consistently come back to a healthier lifestyle but it is always a struggle which can take anywhere from days to months to correct. IMHO its all a form of destructive behavior, but then again if it was easy there would be no need for WW or GOAD!
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I didn't reply to this LTL last Friday but responding to @steveOmania 's post today I see that it ties in with Steve's discussion today. So I'll repost what I posted today.

This ties in with Friday's LTL because it's part of a destructive behavior and also something I want to change. It also has deeply affected my weight management. Stress and frustration is a relative to causing weight gain because of so many interruptions and trying to squeeze too much in a day, week or month. This has caused me to recklessly eat what ever was in my path. Disregard the better choice and then double back and so to speak blame it on this or something. Life is what it is and we all have 24 hours in a day it's how we make decisions to use the time we have.

[If there's one thing about my personality I'd like to change and currently in progress would be to learn to say No to projects. This has become such a drudgery because it's effecting me and my personal me time. I've looked up and because of Work duties, Civic duties, Church commitments and yes a hobby comitment I find at the end of the day there's no time for me and not enough time to spend with DW. This has created a recipe for disaster. I enjoy all the things I'm involved in but sometimes they all seem to come due at the same time. When this happens I find myself wanting to go crawl in a hole and retreat from everything.]
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    I think I was just committing slow motion suicide at 285lbs. I just didn’t care if I lived or died.

The way out?

One explanation might be that when I got a CPAP and was able to get some real sleep, I could see the potential consequences for my family and straightened out.

Alternative explanation- I was delivered.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,091 Member
    Options
    Backsliding a pound at a time is my usual downfall. True dat. I think WW helps me some to keep my head in the game.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    @imastar2 - thank you for reminding me about the power of NO. When I had my own business ~1994-2007, I reached my highest weight ever because I just couldn't turn down new clients. I used food to try to make up for lack of sleep as well as to stuff down my emotions regarding how little time that I had for myself. I ran myself ragged putting their needs above mine. My father's health issues forced me to finally start saying NO as well as to turn clients over to other CPAs.

I've still had to work at saying NO more over the years. A few years ago after a particularly draining semester, my dean at that time wrote NO on a piece of paper and handed it to me. I still have that piece of paper on my desk.