Help please

I have an extremely active job and my protein needs to be 160 per day. I swear this site doesn't recorded macros properly as I get nowhere near this despite having three bean/lentil/pulses/oats laden meals and snacking on nuts and seeds. I can't have fake meats nor will I consume processed protein powders. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can add to my meals to help increase the protein content? Currently the best I have been able to manage is 88g.

Replies

• Plantbase2020
    Plantbase2020 Posts: 17 Member
    Where did you get the info about that you need 160g protein a day ?
  • Plantbase2020
    How about try adding edamame beans (immature soybeans) contain 8.5 g of protein per ½ cup
    tempeh (is fermentation) contains about 15 g of protein per ½ cup
  • ieatveggie
    ieatveggie Posts: 4 Member
    On days I don't work my protein requirement is a lot lower at 60g per day but on the days I work my total calorie expenditure is over 5000kcal per day, nearly three times higher than on a day off, so all my Macros are higher. Carbs and fats I am finding easy enough to hit but I struggle with the protein levels. I am trying to find ideas for things I add either to my meals on work days or to snack on that will only really boost the protein. I am new to eating vegetarian and vegan meals and I am a firm believer in not consuming processed ingredients but I have done a lot of research on protein sources unfortunately most places recommend vegan protein powders or fake meat products and I refuse to consume these.
  • Plantbase2020
    See this video it may help

https://youtu.be/vGpy6h0LbQM
  • FatDadTheVegan
    FatDadTheVegan Posts: 2 Member
    I'm a long term vegan (25 years) but just starting here today.

Have you tried Tempeh, Smoked Tofu and Setan? You say you dont want protien powders, but some are les chemical than others - Im using Vega Clean Protien powders - mainly peas.
  • amyorbash
    amyorbash Posts: 6 Member
    Check out the No Meat Athlete cookbook, it’s amazing! I’m a runner but the recipes work for all athletes & active people, all the recipes are vegan & made with whole foods. Tofu & tempeh are both great sources of protein too. Tempeh is easy to cook but tofu can be tricky. I bought an air fryer & it cooks the tofu perfectly, it’s actually the only way I can cook tofu without it tasting an eraser! The author of the cookbook is an ultramarathoner & does do fake meats or protein powders either.
  • evelingtavera17
    evelingtavera17 Posts: 2 Member
    Edamame, Seitan, Tofu, Temphe are the best sources with high protein intake. However, without using vegan protein powders it's going to be a challenge to reach your protein intake of 160g.
    I do 130g minimum, but I use beyondyourself protein powder.