Low Carb Noodles!

Options
So, finally bought and tried the shirataki noodles. My review:

They were amazing.

Rinsed very well... Let them sit in colander while I prepped everything else (including cooking my steak to rare and setting aside).

Once my veggies were going in sesame oil & butter...I threw the noodles in with veggies (broccoli, zucchini, peppers, onions, mushrooms, mung bean sprouts, shredded cabbage), herbs (fresh basil and cilantro and lemon grass paste), and sauce (peanut Thai sauce, a splash of soy sauce, tbsp of hoisin and a few drops of Teriyaki sauce). Turned heat down to medium low and let simmer a long while. Sliced steak, added into pot. Let simmer for one more minute, pulled from heat, topped with more fresh cilantro, and served. Beef Peanut pad Thai... Turned out excellent!!!

No weird texture, great taste! Very satisfying!

Replies

• nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    So, finally bought and tried the shirataki noodles. My review:

They were amazing.

Rinsed very well... Let them sit in colander while I prepped everything else (including cooking my steak to rare and setting aside).

Once my veggies were going in sesame oil & butter...I threw the noodles in with veggies (broccoli, zucchini, peppers, onions, mushrooms, mung bean sprouts, shredded cabbage), herbs (fresh basil and cilantro and lemon grass paste), and sauce (peanut Thai sauce, a splash of soy sauce, tbsp of hoisin and a few drops of Teriyaki sauce). Turned heat down to medium low and let simmer a long while. Sliced steak, added into pot. Let simmer for one more minute, pulled from heat, topped with more fresh cilantro, and served. Beef Peanut pad Thai... Turned out excellent!!!

No weird texture, great taste! Very satisfying!

That sounds delicious. What brand did you purchase? I tried them several years ago and thought it was like chewing on rubber bands. Now I see different recipes that say to let them dry out first etc and might want to try them again but am truly a little nervous. And how long did you cook them? Any other tips?
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @nrs101364

I bought the brand Nasoya... It was in stock at grocery store for only $1.99 a bag.

After rinsing and really trying to get all the water drained out, I left them out for at least 30 minutes. They didn't dry out, still wet.

I let them simmer in an already piping-hot sauce over medium low heat for at least thirty minutes.

I think cooking time was the trick, because I didn't cook my daughter's batch as long, and her's were a little chewy.

They're affordable....I get nervous about trying some of the more pricey carb substitutes! But at that price, I could definitely see buying a few bags and trying out different recipes.

• weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    The trick is once you rinse, you Dry cook it.
    Just pan fry the rinsed noodles without oil for a minute or two. No need to set aside for long. That preps the shirataki to absorb all the good flavors.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    The trick is once you rinse, you Dry cook it.
    Just pan fry the rinsed noodles without oil for a minute or two. No need to set aside for long. That preps the shirataki to absorb all the good flavors.

I just set aside that long, because I was prepping everything else (chopping/ shredding all veggies and herbs, then cooked steak, then cooked veggies, mixed sauces).

I'll try the dry cook next time. Over what temperature setting? I'd be worried they'd stick to skillet if too high?
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    @Emmapatterson1729 it's not going to stick because its wet and you can use your teflon pan.
    all you're doing is drying it out a bit. I would do med-high. Even when I make it into Ramen, I would dry cook first before pouring the broth over it. Enjoy!!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    @Emmapatterson1729 it's not going to stick because its wet and you can use your teflon pan.
    all you're doing is drying it out a bit. I would do med-high. Even when I make it into Ramen, I would dry cook first before pouring the broth over it. Enjoy!!

Thanks!!

It's way more affordable than I thought it would be. At 1.99 a bag (at least 2 servings per bag), I will being buying a ton and playing with recipes!

I will try it! ;)
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Stole recipe from a fusion restaurant.

gvp0ujmj1ab1.png
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Looks and sounds amazing!!!
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I thought they were like chewing on rubber bands too!! Perfect description! I’ll give them another try tho if it’s possible to change the texture through a different cooking method. I just rinsed and tossed them into my broth for maybe a minute to heat through. I think that wasn’t long enough?
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I tried them once but with an Italian sauce and thought they were revolting -- as if I fell for a prank the whole low-carber world was in on except me. Maybe they work better with Asian cuisine.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    I tried them once but with an Italian sauce and thought they were revolting -- as if I fell for a prank the whole low-carber world was in on except me. Maybe they work better with Asian cuisine.

@JenniferM1234

I am going to try them with Italian flavors next time.

For pasta substitute for Italian foods, I usually use spaghetti squash.. Comes out textured like a slightly al-dente noodle.

I'll post updates on the shirataki noodles!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I love them. I've posted a few threads about them over the years. My favorite is to cook them with an egg, and then add pesto, spinach, and a few cherry tomatoes. I also love them in Pho.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    I love them. I've posted a few threads about them over the years. My favorite is to cook them with an egg, and then add pesto, spinach, and a few cherry tomatoes. I also love them in Pho.

I've read a few of your post on them!

That sounds delicious...I love pesto with tomatoes and spinach, too!!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I need to try making Pho.
    I love Pasta Zero. I usually make a form of fried noodles with it (egg, veggies, often but not always some type of meat).
  • MeredithMinch
    MeredithMinch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I’m really into Green Giant Zuchinni Noodles. I top them with turkey meatballs and little marinara!
  • kiddycat73
    kiddycat73 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I tried Palmini noodles yesterday. They’re my favorite pasta substitute so far. I haven’t had Shirataki noodles in years. I didn’t like them because of the smell, but it sounds like they’ve made them better...I’ll have to try them again!
  • nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    kiddycat73 wrote: »
    I tried Palmini noodles yesterday. They’re my favorite pasta substitute so far. I haven’t had Shirataki noodles in years. I didn’t like them because of the smell, but it sounds like they’ve made them better...I’ll have to try them again!

What do the Palmini noodles taste like? Never had Hearts of Palm.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between tofu shirataki and konjac shirataki. Tofu has a couple carbs per serving, konjac is 0. Tofu shirataki is more noodle-like, knojac is the translucent white, chewy, rubbery one.
    ohuv56182gxs.png
    x4jd1g4kjt9o.png

• Emmapatterson1729
    edited October 2019
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    There's a difference between tofu shirataki and konjac shirataki. Tofu has a couple carbs per serving, konjac is 0. Tofu shirataki is more noodle-like, knojac is the translucent white, chewy, rubbery one.
    ohuv56182gxs.png
    x4jd1g4kjt9o.png

Mine were translucent, I didn't know there were different kinds, but I avoid tofu. I think when I overcooked them, it must have broken then down some... They weren't textured too differently than other Asian noodles I've used in same recipe, like udon or mai fun noodles... Very slight chew to them.

@kiddycat73

It warned on package that there may be an earthy smell. I dumped them straight into colander in running water, didn't take a whiff! I also had so many strong seasonings and herbs going in my pot, hard to smell anything else. ;)

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    ohuv56182gxs.png
    x4jd1g4kjt9o.png
    I like both. The tofu is more appropriate for Italian dishes I make. And the konjac is better as an asian dish noodle.