The Magic Pill

Options
Just watched "The Magic Pill" on Netflix.

Documentary about low carb/high fat eating and Ketogenic diet.

Worth the watch! Eating lchf has been the best decision I ever made for my health. My results have been amazing!

Replies

• fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I’m off work today and fancied something good to watch this will do nicely thank you for sharing 🤗
  • dnescola
    dnescola Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love that documentary. I have watched it numerous times. kindof like a motivational movie for me. Definately worth the watch.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Just watched this and found it fascinating. Thanks for sharing. Had no idea how many different conditions are improved by restricting carbs. I also learned more about how to refine my own diet and will be curious to see how that plays out. As Type 2 Diabetic with a father that is T2D and had a kidney transplant, a sister that is T2D, 2 grandparents that are T2D, and 2 kids one with epilepsy and one with mild autism this really hit home and I hope I can convince others close to me to watch and consider making changes.
  • EelkoDoesKeto
    EelkoDoesKeto Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yeah, good documentary...
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I'll watch it soon. I just watched Fat Head again and it really means a lot more now.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'd forgotten some of the science behind some of the foods I won't touch...(took physiology, nutrition, human anatomy, and organic chemistry years ago, but apparently, forgot a lot of it).

The documentary reminded me of a lot I'd forgotten.

I've tried to eat whole foods (as much non GMO, organic as I can) for a long time.

I started eating that way, because in classes, we were taught that if the body doesn't recognize an ingredient as food (nutrition or fuel) it stores it in adipose cells (fat cells). The best example given in several classes was artificial sweeteners (the sweeteners created in a lab), even though zero calories, they get stored.

My food mottos became "If there's a commercial for it, I generally don't eat it."
    "If it has ingredients I have to Google, I generally don't eat it."
    "Anything with more than a handful or two of ingredients, usually goes back on the shelf."

Great documentary, reminded me why I eat clean and whole foods.

• fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I watched another video after the magic pill
    https://youtu.be/jXXGxoNFag4
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I watched another video after this one, also very good at explaining physiological response to food I’ll post it in a new post
    https://youtu.be/jXXGxoNFag4

I'll have to look it up on my day off. I don't think majority realize how hormones play a part in weight gain/loss, and are responsible for things like a lot of autoimmune disorders, etc.

People hear the word hormones and think testosterone or estrogen... Not thinking of the all the glands and the hormones produced in glands that regulate a lot more than sex drive and how hairy a person is... Sleep, stress, weight, moods, emotions, etc.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna watch tonight!
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    watched the Magic Pill last night. Was good. Made me look at my pantry close.
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,964 Member
    Options
    Yes! Great documentary. I watched pre-Keto and again a few months ago when I had started. So interesting.

When they talked about how we (humans) are the only species who have weight issues. No other species does, unless it is an animal under our care such as a dog or cat. :( Very eye opening.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Also check out FAT: A Documentary. It’s not a free one but it can be rented on many services.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    "Fed Up" also.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I want to see Fat: A Documentary. It looks good. I can get it from the library but there might be a waiting list. I’ll check out Fed Up too. I may have seen that before. I watch a lot of Documentaries.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of it but I'm intrigued now. Thanks for the rec!
  • Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    "A Magic Pill" is a great film. I'll rewatch every time I need a motivation refresh!
  • procrox
    procrox Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just watched it, really motivational!
    I didn’t know about the persecution and ultimate vindication of Prof. Noakes, and I loved his argument that there’s no double blind peer reviewed evidence that high fat diet is harmful, but plenty to show high carbs has all kind of harmful impacts.