Anyone else tried the Squeaky Clean Keto Challenge?

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
I'm just finishing the 5 Day Keto Soup Diet from I Breathe I'm Hungry and decided to try her Squeaky Clean Keto Challenge next. For those who don't know me, I lost 20-some pounds on keto about 4 years ago, gradually regained much of it once I switched to a very sedentary job, and have been having a really hard time re-losing. Thought this might be a good re-set. (I'm on track to lose about 4 lbs from the 5 day keto soup diet, putting me 11 lbs from the top of my goal weight range.)

Just curious if anyone else has tried it and what you thought!

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Haven't heard of it, but I've done soup diets before just for a few days.

I used to make a cabbage/veggie soup and eat for a few days to kick start losing weight, (the cabbage soup cleans you out). Have to live very near a toilet!

Whenever I've decided after injuries it's time to lose the weight put on...I always start this way.... Even before starting keto this time around.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It looks a lot like the page 4 diet. Let us know how it goes. Nuts would be the biggest challenge for me.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering what was your normal diet consisting of prior to these diet challenges? The squeaky clean diet just sounds like food based on nutrient density; which ideally should be about 80% of anyone's diet (because 100% "clean eating" is actually boring), regardless of macro composition, even more so if fat loss is the goal.
  • kiddycat73
    kiddycat73 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I did the soup diet last week. And lost 9.3lbs! I went right into the Squeaky Clean challenge. I am really feeling good without dairy. I really believe it was causing a lot of problems like inflammation in my body. I never really eat nuts, so I don’t miss them. I did miss sweetener at first, but after a couple days I lost all sweet cravings all together. It’s only been a little over a week though, so I’m not saying I’ll never crave sweet again, but for now I’m really loving how I feel.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    My soup is beef ribs or chuck roast and water.
  • anubis609
    Options
    kiddycat73 wrote: »
    I did the soup diet last week. And lost 9.3lbs! I went right into the Squeaky Clean challenge. I am really feeling good without dairy. I really believe it was causing a lot of problems like inflammation in my body. I never really eat nuts, so I don’t miss them. I did miss sweetener at first, but after a couple days I lost all sweet cravings all together. It’s only been a little over a week though, so I’m not saying I’ll never crave sweet again, but for now I’m really loving how I feel.

What happens when the challenge is done? Are there guidelines for what to eat long-term?
  • macchiatto
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    kiddycat73 wrote: »

What happens when the challenge is done? Are there guidelines for what to eat long-term?

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/ibih-squeaky-clean-keto-challenge-sckc/
  • macchiatto
    Options
    I'm wondering what was your normal diet consisting of prior to these diet challenges? The squeaky clean diet just sounds like food based on nutrient density; which ideally should be about 80% of anyone's diet (because 100% "clean eating" is actually boring), regardless of macro composition, even more so if fat loss is the goal.

I'd gone back to eating the way I ate to lose 20 lbs four years ago (probably considered "dirty keto") and it's been much slower going this time around. I talked to my dr about it recently when I was in for something else. She's doing to check thyroid next time around and suggested I try thyroid support supplements to see if that helps.

After tweaking different variables for a long time trying to get back down to goal weight, I wanted to try this to see if I could get the scale to budge at all. Overall I've eaten low carb for about 7-8 years now. I started Dukan, went keto four years ago, shifted to LCHF at maintenance. I have no desire to stay squeaky clean long term but I did like the elimination aspect idea of this diet to re-introduce sweeteners, dairy and nuts after the 30 days and see if I can isolate what's been stalling me this time around. It may also help me break some cravings as I think there was some "carb creep" happening before this.
  • kiddycat73
    kiddycat73 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

What happens when the challenge is done? Are there guidelines for what to eat long-term?[/quote]

You can continue to eat “squeaky clean” or you can go back to regular keto. She has 4 weeks of meal plans for the challenge, but you don’t have to use them. I’m not, I’m just eating meat, veggies, eggs, and healthy fats. She also has regular keto meals on her blog page “I Breathe I’m Hungry”.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I looked at this and it looks pretty close to what I do anyway. I have been allowing some dairy, but that is really the only thing that I don't do. It would be insane for me to go over 20 grams of total carbs in a day, let alone net.
  • anubis609
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »

I'd gone back to eating the way I ate to lose 20 lbs four years ago (probably considered "dirty keto") and it's been much slower going this time around. I talked to my dr about it recently when I was in for something else. She's doing to check thyroid next time around and suggested I try thyroid support supplements to see if that helps.

After tweaking different variables for a long time trying to get back down to goal weight, I wanted to try this to see if I could get the scale to budge at all. Overall I've eaten low carb for about 7-8 years now. I started Dukan, went keto four years ago, shifted to LCHF at maintenance. I have no desire to stay squeaky clean long term but I did like the elimination aspect idea of this diet to re-introduce sweeteners, dairy and nuts after the 30 days and see if I can isolate what's been stalling me this time around. It may also help me break some cravings as I think there was some "carb creep" happening before this.

Considering whether it was dirty/clean or keto/non-keto, have you consistently and honestly made sure that you accurately tracked that your overall net calorie intake every week/month was at a deficit?
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I edited: I have no desire to stay squeaky clean long term but I did like the elimination aspect idea of this diet to re-introduce sweeteners, dairy and nuts after the 30 days and see if I can isolate what's been stalling me this time around. It may also help me break some cravings as I think there was some "carb creep" happening before this.

I think this is an excellent idea. I upped my carbs at first by using the Atkin's ladder method, you add 5 grams of a carb to see if it causes any issues, if not, keep it in your meal plans, if it is problematic, add a different carb in the 5 grams. You end up with a clear idea of what works for you and what works against you.

After I reached my goal weight I went back to this somewhat and now I can eat around 50-75 grams of carbs that don't cause me issues. I rarely go that high, I eat a LOT less now than before, but it comes in handy for social occasions, etc.

All the best sorting out yourself.
  • nbbashar
    nbbashar Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Newbie here. I've been doing keto since Sep 2019 on and off. I say off because I have fallen off the wagon 2 or 3 times and well have struggled to get back into ketosis. I haven't used a specific meal plan but made my own full of high fat and stayed below 16g carbs.

Recently I've been trying to get back into it and realised it's because I have gotten bored of the meals that I give up - so very excited to have found this group!

I started on Sep 1st at 79kg. The least I went down to was 75.kg. Now I'm on 76kg and am trying to get down to 70kg by Christmas with low carb.
  • anubis609
    Options
    nbbashar wrote: »
    Newbie here. I've been doing keto since Sep 2019 on and off. I say off because I have fallen off the wagon 2 or 3 times and well have struggled to get back into ketosis. I haven't used a specific meal plan but made my own full of high fat and stayed below 16g carbs.

Recently I've been trying to get back into it and realised it's because I have gotten bored of the meals that I give up - so very excited to have found this group!

I started on Sep 1st at 79kg. The least I went down to was 75.kg. Now I'm on 76kg and am trying to get down to 70kg by Christmas with low carb.

Are you doing keto strictly for fat loss or do you have a medical need to be in ketosis?
  • nbbashar
    nbbashar Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    nbbashar wrote: »

Are you doing keto strictly for fat loss or do you have a medical need to be in ketosis?

More for fat loss than anything else really. I do have hypothyroidism and a few other medical conditions but not related to my weight. I do find when I feel healthier and "cleaner" with keto it helps me feel better overall.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It can shock you when you find out how proper diet can address health issues that you thought had nothing to do with diet. I am not going to claim that low-carb can cure everything, but you may see improvement in many areas of your health.