498lbs

Options
billygunn31
billygunn31 Posts: 29 Member
Hi I'm 33 and 498 lbs iv been big all my life was 200lbs before 15, 300 before 20 and so one.

I dont no how to be skinny or for that matter at times I feels it's to late at other times I believe I need to make a chage.

I'm happy when I eat but at the same time I'm unhappy because I eat ..

So I eat to become happy so it's never ending.

Replies

• Satisfiedwithbetter
    Satisfiedwithbetter Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    The perfect time to start is right now! Remember, the only time you fail is when you quit!
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I know for me the hardest thing was getting through the first couple of days. I "started" to lose weight so many times I have lost count. Or I would tell myself I will start on Monday, or the first of the month, or after the holiday, only to never actually do anything. For someone just staring out, my advice would be just try to meticulously log food for a couple days. Dont worry about deficit, losing weight, just get in the habit of logging what you eat. I found that list the self awareness from that will get you to adjust things a little.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    First of all welcome! Next, let me assure you that it’s never too late. I started my journey at 44 and I know a lot of people older than me who are trying to lose weight.

My first bit of advice is to start with small changes. Start for example with dropping sugary drinks from your day and replace them with tea or water and logging what you eat. I did tea because I had a crazy soda habit and couldn’t take the headaches. The second week try to stay in your calorie goal while continuing with what you did week one, and so on. By breaking it up into small steps it’s so much easier. Hang in there and know that we’re here to help.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @billygunn31

You don't need to know how to be skinny today. I don't know what that means either. The last time I was an appropriate size I think I was 10 or 11 years old. When I was 12 the doctor put me on a diet.

I suggest that your first goal be to find your way to less. It is an undefined number goal because I don't think it always helps to have number floating around in your head when you have a lot of them to get through. Before too long finding your way to less though will hit your first 50 pounds lost. You will feel better and I believe some of the pain you experience standing and walking will also be less.

What is your height? I want to help guide you through the first part of this because MFP will only give you a 2 pound a week goal and you need to experiment with going a little faster. Have you been to a doctor recently?
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Don’t be afraid to ask anyone here for help or motivation....we are or have been going thru the same things you are and have all felt the same way....read the posts here for inspiration....check the recipes....take one day at a time....buy a scale....don’t be afraid of failing....be strong....when you are ready, tell about your journey and let us know how you are doing....this is such an understanding group of people....you can do this!

• NovusDies
    Options
    @billygunn31

I am copying this from the main forum. The advice I give you here is not good for the general public. Most of them do not understand that when you get to a certain level of obesity the rules are a little different.
    Going to try and only allow myself 2000-2500 calories a day see if that works

I actually think this is a good idea for the first 6 weeks or so. You should drop a fair amount of water weight and if you are going to experience a "honeymoon" phase you should take advantage of it and drop some extra fat weight too. It will take some of the strain off your body while standing and walking.

There are some dangers though because it could create a binge cycle if you have no honeymoon phase.

You will need to calculate you protein goals though. Even during a short period of time you need to protect your lean body mass as much as possible.
  • NovusDies
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I should explain something else. If you are sub sedentary like I started because of the pain of standing and walking you are currently in some high risk categories for cholesterol and plaque building up in your arteries as well as blood clots. This is why you need to see a doctor and get some blood tests ran if you have not already. At your age though this is does not necessarily mean you need to go super low calorie or jump into a waiting line for weight loss surgery. It does mean if you can go faster for short period of time with the payoff being increased comfort of movement I think it is wise. I am not talking exercise I am just talking about moving around more.

In the meantime I would strongly advise that you try to get up at least once per hour that you are awake and move around some.

• billygunn31
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @billygunn31

You don't need to know how to be skinny today. I don't know what that means either. The last time I was an appropriate size I think I was 10 or 11 years old. When I was 12 the doctor put me on a diet.

I suggest that your first goal be to find your way to less. It is an undefined number goal because I don't think it always helps to have number floating around in your head when you have a lot of them to get through. Before too long finding your way to less though will hit your first 50 pounds lost. You will feel better and I believe some of the pain you experience standing and walking will also be less.

What is your height? I want to help guide you through the first part of this because MFP will only give you a 2 pound a week goal and you need to experiment with going a little faster. Have you been to a doctor recently?

5"9
  • NovusDies
    Options
    @billygunn31

5"9

So your TDEE is probably around 3700 currently.
    Your TDEE at 169 which is the top of your healthy weight range is 1975.

If you go with the goal weight TDEE system you would lose close to 3.5 pounds per week. That was the system I used during much of my early weight loss.

Your protein goal needs to be about 102 to 135 grams per day. It is not essential you hit that right away but moving towards that would be a good idea in the near future.

If you do not have a food scale now would be a good time to invest in one. It is also important not to trust the MFP database. You need to verify the entries you use personally. This takes time to master but with a deficit as large as the one you are going to create you have time and a big margin of error.
  • MatthewRuch
    MatthewRuch Posts: 165 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I really think you need to see this. This man has seriously saved my life. He is the inspiration for all I do and I am honored to call him a friend.

It may just do the same for you!

You have got this, and I will be with you ever step of the way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz9nsEjSS1o
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    great VIDEO - hope everyone opens it, views it, and smiles in belief that they can affect change!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    @billygunn31

How is it going?
  • billygunn31
    Options
    @billygunn31

How is it going?

It's going slowly but it's going all the same have a few bad days here and there
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Keep the good days going!....we are all rooting for you!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    @billygunn31

How is it going?

It's going slowly but it's going all the same have a few bad days here and there

@billygunn31

The fact you have not given up because you have had some bad days is a great sign though. I think if you did a poll you would find that most people start with a number of bad days. I certainly did. We all want to thrive but some days come down to survival.

Ask for any help you need. I started with about 300 pounds to lose. That doesn't mean I know everything you face because we are 2 different people but it does mean I know some of what you face.

• Hubzilla
    Hubzilla Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @billygunn31

Don't give up! One day at a time. I'm on my third WLJ and trying to work on changing my interactions with food and alcohol and developing good habits that are sustainable...
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    @billygunn31

How is it going?

A few bad days is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Keep your head up and keep going! I look forward to watching your progress!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    @billygunn31

Any update?

You won't get any judgement here on your progress or any mistakes you make. If someone did try that it would not go over well. I do think it is important that you just keep posting though. It doesn't matter if it is good news or bad news. The only thing anyone here will or should care about is that you keep trying.

I promise I won't pester you as often once you get settled in but the first weeks can be some of the hardest to get through.
  • jafinnearty
    jafinnearty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    @billygunn31

How is it going?

Slow is okay! Don't let yourself get discouraged because of it. Fantastic group of people here to support you through every ounce!
  • CharlesScott78
    CharlesScott78 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 33 and 498 lbs iv been big all my life was 200lbs before 15, 300 before 20 and so one.

I dont no how to be skinny or for that matter at times I feels it's to late at other times I believe I need to make a chage.

I'm happy when I eat but at the same time I'm unhappy because I eat ..

So I eat to become happy so it's never ending.

Welcome! First, I want to say - congrats on wanting to get healthier! I was overweight most of my life as well. I was in my 40's before I had any real success. So you are getting a jump start on me. That is fantastic. It can be done. I lost 355 lbs and kept it off for about 7 years. My highest weight was 562.3 lbs. Over the last 5 or 6 years I did gain back almost 200 lbs. I just lost focus. I am back at it again and I feel really good about it. I think my head is in the right place. Blog Post with Pictures - our stories are similar. If there is anything I can do to help - please let me know.

Charles