Are there any vegetarians here?

AshStout83
AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
I know there's a saved thread about vegans, but it doesn't seem to be in use. I'm not vegan, but I am vegetarian. I eat eggs and dairy products, but I do not eat any animals of any kind. I'd love to hear some meal ideas from fellow LCHF vegetarians.

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited October 2019
    Used to be vegetarian...

Favorite recipes were:

Tempeh salad:
    Original Tempeh cubed.
    Diced onion, Shredded carrots, Diced Tomatoes (I prefer organic heirloom). Diced celery (or cucumber), mayo, season salt, pepper, dill weed, splash of soy sauce. All mixed together, I used to eat this stuff in a wrap or out of the bowl.

Puerto Rican chickpea salad:
    Can (or two) of chickpeas, diced onion (red or yellow), diced bell pepper (I prefer green for this recipe), diced heirloom tomatoes (I usually put two in), head of cilantro, 1-2 tablespoons cumin, sprinkle of season salt,
    salt and pepper, splash of lemon or lime juice, drizzle of olive oil, spash of soy sauce... Sometimes I would add shredded carrots, green onions, and/or very finely diced celery. Refrigerate all ingredients all mixed together. I eat in bowl.

I have had proclaimed carnivores fight over leftovers of these two dishes!!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Sweet Earth Grounds were another favorite of mine... Not sure on the carbs though.

Fake ground beef, was delicious, can use it in any recipe that calls for ground beef: chili, spaghetti squash spaghetti, stuffed bell peppers, cabbage rolls, taco salads, etc.
  • AshStout83
    edited October 2019
    Thank you very much!
  • carine0502
    carine0502 Posts: 14 Member
    :) vegetarian here too! with a big vegan tendency whenever possible (yogurts and spreads, but not yet hard cheese or eggs) I am also trying to reduce my calories to 1200 so....pretty hard! My days look like this:

Breakfast : Greek Style yogurt (Soya) & a protein muffin (home made)(or just chocolate vegan protein powder)
    Lunch (in office): 100g tofu+veggies+coconut cream
    Snack: a handful of roasted peanuts
    Dinner: pretty much the same as lunch, but different protein (seitan or veg burger) and other veggies

probably missing fats and too much protein. I need to work on that..

What do your days look like?

• AshStout83
    Hi, Carine. I'm new to vegetarianism and I recently resumed LCHF. This week is the first week I've combined both ways of eating.

Monday
    Breakfast: 2 eggs, coffee with heavy whipping cream
    Lunch: coffee with heavy whipping cream
    Dinner: organic vegetarian protein powder(Orgain), unsweeted coconut milk(Silk), natural peanut butter(Jiff)
    Snack: oven-roasted brussel sprouts in olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper

Tuesday
    Breakfast: coffee with heavy whipping cream
    Lunch: Beyond Burger, cooked with butter, on low carb bread(Aldi Fit and Active 35 calorie) with sharp cheddar cheese, mayo and mustard
    Dinner: same as Monday
    Snack: one slice of sharp cheddar on one slice of low carb bread

Wednesday
    Lunch: 1 oz roasted almonds with sea salt, Sous Vide Egg Bites(Starbucks)
    Dinner: Beyond Burger, cooked with butter, on low carb bread, with sharp cheddar cheese and low carb coleslaw
    Snacks: one low carb muffin, one slice of sharp cheddar on one slice of low carb bread

Today
    Lunch: two low carb tortillas(LaBanderita) filled with two eggs(one in each tortilla) that were cooked in butter, yellow onion and minced garlic that were also cooked in butter, sharp cheddar cheese and cottage cheese(both added to skillet to warm and melt), with salt and pepper
    Dinner:
    Snack:
  • Emmapatterson1729
    I sprinkle real parmesan cheese on my oven roasted brussel sprouts roasted in olive oil. Throw the cheese on on shortly before they're coming out of oven, So Good... Especially if brussel sprouts caramelized.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    We quit eating vegetarian due to my daughter's Crohn's. Veggies started causing internal bleeding.

We both miss the foods we made. We made a lot of vegetarian lavash pizzas, sweet Earth Grounds tacos (with organic shells). Now doing low carb (keto) so our dishes wouldn't have fit.

We ended up with really bad fungi toxin poisoning from Quorn fake meats... Be careful if consuming those... Read after poisoning, that it's pretty common.
  • AshStout83
    Wow. Thank you very much for the warning. I haven’t tried any fake meat, except for the beyond burger. I will definitely avoid Quorn.