Bad Shopping Trip

Options
I first made the mistake of going to Aldi while I was hungry. In my mind, I was only going there to pick up to go mugs, if they still had any left. They didn't have any. I ended up picking up cashews, bean chips and salsa and bread. Then I went home, and basically had eaten the entire bag of cashews....wow. And I know it was mindless eating, because I was playing a game on the computer while waiting for the fiance to get home from work (which ended up being super late). Glad I did stop mindless snacking, and i was full. When he got home from work, I gave myself just a small serving of the dinner I made to taste it (again it was one of those Home Chef meals with only two servings in it, and wanted to taste it because I won't see that meal for awhile).

I confessed my foodie sins to my fiance and he was the one who said we shouldn't even bring snacks into the house because he has the same issues and I agree.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Very often I see people suggest that you should never snack in the kitchen. I suppose that is because many people are in that habit. I mindlessly snacked in front of the computer and TV. Snacking in the kitchen while standing is the opposite for me so that is the only place I allow it outside of a bowl of popcorn. The popcorn is only excepted when I have planned to have it in advance and the portion is fully controlled.

I don't do much snacking though. I am fine between meals most of the time. I find that to be a little irritating considering the number of times I have downed entire bags of food mindlessly but there is not much I can do about that now except not to allow the circumstances that foster that behavior.

I didn't type any of this so that you will keep snacks in the house. I found my compromise. Habits can be really tricky and hard to break. I do think we should always put a priority on reprogramming ourselves instead of food avoidance. Sometimes it starts with food avoidance so that we have time to figure it out and sometimes specific food avoidance is the only answer.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Sorry to pick at this nit, but I think it needs to be said.

Re: “sins.”

Morality isn’t at stake in weight loss. It’s not a battle of good v evil. Maybe try to look at things as helpful or unhelpful in meeting your goals. Buying cashews just wasn’t helpful. Weight loss is mostly about problem solving.

I know you don’t mean sin like SIN. But still, we need to be attentive to the things we say to ourselves.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Sorry to pick at this nit, but I think it needs to be said.

Re: “sins.”

Morality isn’t at stake in weight loss. It’s not a battle of good v evil. Maybe try to look at things as helpful or unhelpful in meeting your goals. Buying cashews just wasn’t helpful. Weight loss is mostly about problem solving.

I know you don’t mean sin like SIN. But still, we need to be attentive to the things we say to ourselves.

I considered mentioning it but I wondered if it was meant more tongue-in-cheek.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    In the past, When I have eaten too much or something that was not in my plan, I have always felt bad or guilty....I am becoming better at not feeling like this...as long as I have enough calories left and I can fit the food into my daily food plan it is really ok to indulge in treats....there are no forbidden foods....it is very difficult to change 60 years of mind set...my mother was always on a “ diet “ from the time I was a little girl ( she wasn’t heavy at all )... so we always knew some foods that were bad or not allowed to be eaten...of course that made me want those foods more than ever!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    After I re read my post above, it made me kind of sad....mostly thinking of my crazy mom that died a few years ago, still dieting!

So here is a more humorous post about shopping!....a few years ago I went into a Publix starving and they were taking fresh baked chickens out of the roaster....it smelled so good I had to buy one...and of course I was on some kind of high protein diet...so chicken was a good choice....when I got in my car I decided to eat a wing...then I had another....was so good, I tore a leg off and ate it....well, that led to the other leg because the chicken looked lop sided....when I pulled into my driveway all I had left was a bag of bones...I had mindlessly eaten the entire chicken on my drive home!....in my defense, it wasn’t a very big chicken!
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    After I re read my post above, it made me kind of sad....mostly thinking of my crazy mom that died a few years ago, still dieting!

So here is a more humorous post about shopping!....a few years ago I went into a Publix starving and they were taking fresh baked chickens out of the roaster....it smelled so good I had to buy one...and of course I was on some kind of high protein diet...so chicken was a good choice....when I got in my car I decided to eat a wing...then I had another....was so good, I tore a leg off and ate it....well, that led to the other leg because the chicken looked lop sided....when I pulled into my driveway all I had left was a bag of bones...I had mindlessly eaten the entire chicken on my drive home!....in my defense, it wasn’t a very big chicken!

While I dont think I did that on the way home, I have devoured a whole rotisserie chicken at home before. Not my favorite recollection to be sure. I laugh at myself alot when I contemplate some of the eating choices I used to make. I saw an YouTube video where someone who lost 200lbs said that their before eating habits were of someone training to be 500 lbs. That resonated with me because I often remember being uncomfortable after eating. It was work to eat that much, on top of being so stuffed I just wanted to plop or nap. All I would think about was what I would eat next.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My bad shopping experience was not being able to utilize my Kohls discount before it expired.
    30% off and Khols cash to boot - total bummer.
    Ah well, I'll purchase that dual control electric blanket for the guest room soon.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Jjlewey that is exactly how I felt every time I ate....I thought being stuffed and miserable was normal....it really is a lot of work to eat as much as I was...and as soon as I was finished eating I would figure out what I could eat next....I don’t know exactly how much I was consuming but I would think between 5 and 7 thousand calories a day...mostly sweets....and butter....omg I love butter....and what really scares me is that it would be SO easy to slip back into that same routine.....but hey! We can do this my friend, one hour and one day at a time!.....