Living The Lifestyle Tuesday 10/29/19

Options
imastar2
imastar2 Posts: 5,941 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for September are below:

Monday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Tuesday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Wednesday - gavinflynn1 (Gavin)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - goldenfrisbee (Chris)

Today’s topic: Do you eat Fast or Slow? Do you know? Do you think it matters.

Replies

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,941 Member
    Options
    A long time ago I used to eat really fast but it was due to the nature of my work. After I had a job change I slowed down and began to eat really slow because I found out what I had been missing? maybe. Through the years I have grown to eat slowly. Yes I think it matters especially when I talk with my nutritionist. It seems that most studies I've read as well as WW post etc; say it is much better to eat slow and take your time also some go so far as to tell you to place your fork down in between bites. I've never been able to develop the habit of putting down my fork but maybe there's hope.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I eat reasonably fast, but I've learned that it take a while (20' or so) for my "satiety" to catch up after I've eaten. In other words, I may eat fast, and still feel hungry immediately afterwards...however, if I wait for a little while, I find that I am no longer hungry.

I think that likely has to do with the "hunger/satiety" hormones needing some time to change their levels after you eat.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I've always been a fast eater. My husband is the opposite. My husband needs to lose about 30 pounds. I've been at goal weight since 2012.

My husband doesn't exercise. I exercise daily.

I track my food. My husband does not. He will eat snacks out of the container. I will weigh out a portion, unless I've decided that the package IS a portion!

So in our case, speed of eating isn't related to weight management. There are other factors at play.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,901 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty fast (not at goal), and TOL is much slower (is at goal). Our daughter, a nurse, ate very fast, and still would, but had to have the gastric bypass, which really slows one down.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Usually fast. Sometimes very fast. It’s not good. I think I posted on here about 2 months ago that I ate so fast it hurt. I had a repeat of that about 2-3 days ago.

But fast eating hasn’t hurt my WL. But this- my usual evening snack of ice cream. That I want to go slow. For a while my treat of choice was a WW fudge bar. I used to knock them off the stick and eat them with a spoon because it took longer.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    I'm a fast eater. If I catch must I will slow down and savor the flavor.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    I noticed I eat slower at restaurant. At home I front of TV, so not long.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,845 Member
    Options
    fast eater here! So my dw and I sing this song to each other at many meals
    (to the tune of Simon & Garfunkel's 59th Street Bridge Song!

Slow down you eat too fast
    Youv'e got to make your meal times last
    Just skip around the pizza stone
    looking for fun and eating slowly
    da da da da eating slowly
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,075 Member
    Options
    I eat slower in front of a TV watching Jeopardy and trying to come up with answers. I do eat too fast in general. I sm working on eating slower. Always a work in progress.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,530 Member
    Options
    I do both. As Bob mentioned, watching Jeopardy during diner can slow it way down. It still takes some focus to keep from eating too quickly.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    My wife is always telling me to slow down. It is very difficult for me to slow down, but when I am being mindful, it is not so difficult.