Living the Lifestyle, Thursday, 10/31/2019

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,185 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for September are below:

Monday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Tuesday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Wednesday - gavinflynn1 (Gavin)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - goldenfrisbee (Chris)

Today’s topic: The Last Straw

What was the final straw that put you on your trek to change your lifestyle and lose weight?

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,901 Member
    Options
    "You are a diabetic".
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    "You are obese" (that's what the Wii said to me when I got on it for the first time)
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    My youngest son, then 28, told me how I never listened to him and the family about my weight/health.
    I realized how much it meant for them to try .
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    My right knee was hurting so much that it was starting to interfere with the performance of my job. I was turning 50 and had regained right back into the obese BMI range. I just couldn't imagine functioning like this for another 30 years.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    The scale said 285 lbs. Was this really 285 lbs or just a “fluxuation?” Fluxuations can happen going up too you know. 3 days later the scale was still 285. Yup, its really there.

Then I thought, when is this going to end? Came the answer- who says its going to end? I could see that 300 lbs was in easy reach. And it was going to happen. I wasn’t going to weigh 300 lbs. Don’t know why 230 was ok. 250, 275. I suppose 285 might have been ok with me. But I wasn’t stopping there. That did it.

Or the alternative view. Since I had gotten the CPAP I was actually sleeping and capable of clear headed thought.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,843 Member
    Options
    I had a heart attack! While I don't reccomend it to anyone, nothing will get your attention faster than a good old myocardial infarction! That was 13 years and 50.2 pounds ago, and I am still here. It made me decide that I was a "lifetime" member of WW no matter if I ever made goal or not because I clearly needed the help.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,075 Member
    Options
    mirror mirrow on the wall
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I’m hoping the final straw was my doctor telling me that I have high blood pressure.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,941 Member
    Options
    1st thing I hit 400.8 lbs. Couldnt walk to the mailbox 50 ft without
    running out of breath. Slept during the day I was a mess. Never thought anything like that could happen but it did. I had an insatiable appetite but come to find out after sleep studies that I had severe sleep apnea. Started bi/pap treatment and within 48 hours my insatiable appetite went away. Joined WW on line in 2010 lost 100 lbs kept it off for years. Then in 2017 started creeping back up till October 4th this year I hit 359.6 lbs and that sme feeling bit ne and I had shortness of breath. This time I couldn't blame it on sleep apnea.

Onward and downward.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    Mine was getting on a ride at the park that had a overhead harness that automatically locked you in and I couldn't breathe and had to get off in from of everyone. Upside is I lost weight and went back and rode that ride. Now that I call an achievement !