How to support

omelet2000
omelet2000 Posts: 110 Member
Hello! My wife had her gastric bypass this morning! Any advice on how best to support her these next few weeks?

Replies

• SimplementeSM
    SimplementeSM Posts: 41 Member
    Congratulations to your wife! Well wishes for her speedy recovery. I was lucky enough to have an amazing support team when I had my surgery. I also had a well-intentioned sister who acted like the food police! My best advice based on my experience is to follow her lead (within reason) when it comes to her food and her eating. Also, be sensitive to how she feels about you eating in front of her during the first few weeks. It was hard for me to watch others enjoy food at meal time when I was stuck sipping on broth!
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    I just had my surgery on 10/1. I did avoid a couple family celebrations that first month, when I was on the liquid only phase, so maybe don't plan any parties the next couple of weeks. I was worried that my wife wasn't eating enough, so while I don't recommend eating her favorite foods in front of her, eat healthy meals when she's around, maybe in another room. I haven't had an appetite or craving since the surgery, so her eating in front of me didn't bother me but ymmv.