Living The Lifestyle, Monday, 11/4/2029

Options
88olds
88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
edited November 2019 in Social Groups

We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for September are below:

Monday -88olds (George)
Tuesday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Wednesday -
Thursday -
Friday -

Today’s Topic:

Life. Today’s topic is based on a post I recently saw on the Motivation & Support board. Don’t recall exactly but the title was something like - Lost weight, enjoyed life for a bit, now I’m back.

Is that the way this has to be? Losing weigh is the opposite of enjoying life? I found that post pretty disturbing. The Motivation board is filled with people suffering through their diets. It’s sad. What say you?

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and paying attention to what I eat (but not suffering or starving myself) has opened up so many more ways for me to enjoy life. The hiking and biking that I enjoy so much really wasn't feasible when I weighed 213 pounds (start of WW at Work) nor at 304 pounds (all time high).
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,941 Member
    Options
    I believe I might get where their coming from but being all down and out because I'm dieting and not enjoying life? Well I don't know what ro think about that. What's the adding? Life is what you make of it? Living the Lifestyle and either losing or controlling my weight to me is not a sad thing. There is life while dieting and I'm all in for making that so. We are our biggest critics so with so goes our attitude.

It is sad to think that people have to suffer in their minds as they first. Moderation, Moderation, Moderation.
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    It definitely doesn’t have to be that way, thank heaven. But I also understand where they are coming from. My mind makes similar thoughts and beliefs. I need to challenge those when they crop up, and I need to surround myself with like-minded people who are committed to enjoying a healthy lifestyle. Honestly, my years at goal were some of the best years of my adult life.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,901 Member
    Options
    Not being able to eat/drink as much as I might want is (for me) just a very minor inconvenience. I eat and drink pretty much whatever I want. Of course, that leads to a slow weight loss. Down like 5 pounds since the beginning of the year. BUT... down is better than up.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,185 Member
    Options
    So...one of the key elements I have used to achieve success at weight loss (which I've done twice...gotta get that maintenance thing down, though) was...If THAT PERSON did it, so can I. And, almost to a person, THAT person is someone who is enjoying life.... They don't seem put upon. They don't complain about the sacrifices they made. They found a way to augment their life and integrate new approaches into that life. And, frankly, we're talking about events in life - not life as a whole. How can I enjoy that event in life fully, while still remaining true to the things I know I need to accomplish in order to continue enjoying those events, and thus, life. Indulgence is fun. But, there is a price for indulgence. And, the short term excitement of indulgence may take away from the long term enjoyment of life in very exacting and impactful ways.

And, yes, I am talking to myself.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,843 Member
    Options
    I always remember having a conversation with an old friend who had a severe weight problem and was starting to have some big time health problems as a result. The guy was a Mensa member and had a Phd and 2 masters degree's and was one of the smartest people I have ever known. He said to me "sure I would like to lose some weight, but I want to live my life! You know what I mean?" I looked at him and said "Frank you are too smart to be making a statement that dumb! If you keep going the way you are,you are not going to have a life to live!"
    He died a year or two later of heart disease!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,075 Member
    Options
    Ooooh sorry to hear that. I have always liked the idea of not giving up something that truly makes my life better. We all have different journeys but for me it has to be a livable one. It is much better for me to be near the upper end of my healthy weight range but staying within that range rather than picking a much lower weight and giving up at some point. I enjoy life the most when I am biking the hills, hiking, or walking the wetlands. I honestly am not thinking about food whilst out doing those things unless they last for several hours. Even then it isn't about decadence so much as sustenance. I actually like my veggie omelet with Carribean style hot sauce on it for breakfast. Would I like Eggs Benedict better? Sure as a special treat once or twice a year kind of thing but I don't think about them most of the time. I most certainly had to figure out how to make it work but am not greatly deprived.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    I have gained 60lbs. of 110lbs. lost. I feel you can do what you want to with weight loss if you want to put in the time and effort. I am struggling because I eat to much evening snacks that are not good and probably to many beers. If I was willing to give them up I am sure my weight loss would be better. I actually do feel sad to see someone extremely obese because I was 298 lbs. and I know how I felt. Things that are disturbing can cause us to eat are pain away until we can get help to get rid of the feelings.