Living the Lifestyle, Thursday 11/14/2019

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,185 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for September are below:

Monday -88olds (George)
Tuesday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Wednesday - gavinflynn1 (Gavin)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Al_Howard (Al Howard)

Today’s Topic: Bad Habits

Thinking weight loss here: Are there certain "bad" habits that you continue to hold onto...whether by choice, willpower, circumstance? Are there "bad" habits for which you have NO plan or desire to let go? Historically, how have you overcome "bad" habits that may have inhabited your weight loss journey?

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    My bad habit continues to be using food to fix my mood. While it would be ideal to take a walk to relieve stress, too often the stressful situations that lead to the food fix occur at work when I'm not able to take any real break.

As for a bad habit that I did get rid of, that would be eating things directly out of package. I know will take the time to measure out a portion unless I've already decided that the whole package will be one serving.

Another bad habit was to stop tracking once I blew through my calorie budget for the day. I finally committed back in 2011 to always track - the good, the bad, and the truly ugly.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Eating fast. Sometimes I eat so fast it hurts. Sometimes I eat so fast I catch myself in the act. But I think of that as going over 80. I’m just usually doing 75 in a 60 zone. I generally don’t notice until I’m finished and DW is about half way. I’d have to put some effort into changing it and it seems that right now I want to put in zero.

Overcome bad habits? I generally try to think about replacement. I over came coming home and vegging out on the couch with snacks by going to the gym. I replaced cheese burgers with grilled chicken. Mindless eating with tracking.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,901 Member
    Options
    Drinking and eating too much on the weekends. Gotta get a grip. :(
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    Ice cream and beer to much of both and I am working on get control doing not to bad at it for now.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,185 Member
    Options
    As with @gadgetgirlIL, I still have a problem with eating to soothe my moods. I also have a problem with losing my discipline when it comes to dealing with cravings.