New to Keto! Want more veggies and less cheese and meat whenever possible

Options
Hi, I'm new to keto bc frankly, carbs just make me feel sluggish, gassy and uncomfortable in general. I would like to eat more low-carb veggies whenever possible in sub for meat and cheese. I love brocolli (is that how its spelled? :)) I can eat green and red peppers and mushrooms as well. Other than that, I am totally veggie ignorant. Any good low-carb vegetables you guys would recommend? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Zucchini, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, lettuce, spinach, cabbage, bok choy, collards, spaghetti squash, mushrooms, cucumbers.

Totally agree!! There are a lot of recipes online if you look. Otherwise just eat them how you prefer.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Just be careful not to cut back on meat so much that you aren’t getting enough protein.
    I know people that eat a veggie heavy keto diet without issues though. The upper carb limit to maintain Ketosis seems to vary quite a bit from person to person and in reality you don’t have to maintain Ketosis to be fat adapted and still benefit from a low carb lifestyle.
    So if you want to pile on the non starchy veggies with your serving of meat, I wouldn’t think you’d have a problem.
    Just keep in mind that in Ketosis your body is making its own glucose and it needs the materials to do that. If you aren’t eating enough protein to maintain your lean mass and also enough to provide your glucose needs, you could be sacrificing muscle which is not a path to long term health.
    That happened to me in my first months of keto because I didn’t know.
  • amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of meat either, but as a diabetic, I eat low carb/keto to control my blood sugar. It works really well, but knowing how much protein and fat you need to make sure you stay healthy is tough. This website has a calculator to help you balance your reduced carbs with enough protein to prevent muscle loss. I think you might find it helpful. I know I did.
    https://www.bloodsugar101.com/

Even though the research and information was written for diabetics, it clearly explains the relationship between carbs, proteins/muscle loss, fat(why you need it eating low carb) and blood sugar. The website has a nutrition calculator to help you determine what you can/should be eating in terms carb/fats/proteins to prevent diabetic complications, retain/build muscle and to lose weight.

Hope it helps.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    The website ruledme.com has some good food plans for vegan and vegetarian low carbers. Might want to check it out.