Living The Lifestyle, Monday, November 18, 2019

Options
88olds
88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
edited November 2019 in Social Groups
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for September are below:

Monday -88olds (George)
Tuesday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Wednesday - gavinflynn1 (Gavin)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Al_Howard (Al Howard)

Today’s Topic: Eating Healthy

Are you concerned about “eating healthy?”
What is it? If you were going to grade yourself, what grade would you get for eating healthy? If you got a high grade, how did you get it? A low grade, what needs to change?

What does eating healthy have to do with weight loss?

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    For me, healthy eating means getting in veggies and sufficient protein. On a typical workday, this is easy for me since I bring my food (prepared in bulk on weekends) to work and use the microwave to heat it up.

Weekends that I spend outdoors hiking and biking are much more challenging as the food options are what I can carry with me or get at a gas station. Veggies are scarce on those days.

For example, I hiked 13.6 miles on Saturday after biking 11.6 miles so that my car would be at the ending point of my point-to-point hike. My veggies were part of the beef fajitas that I inhaled after I was all done for the day. There were no places along my route to eat so there were many simple carbs consumed to fuel these efforts.

Sunday was longer - 15.9 miles of biking followed by 15.5 miles of hiking. Again, zero opportunities to obtain food (or water). Since I was driving home after the hike, I just stopped at a Culver's for a burger and fries as that was quick. There weren't many options on the drive home.

So typically an A- on weekdays and a C- on weekends for me. I don't see this changing.

As for how this relates to weight loss, if I am eating foods that are satisfying both to my palate and nutritionally, then weight management is easier. I'm not going to force down a bunch of veggies that I don't like no matter how nutritious they might be.

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    I have not been eating healthy lately.
    I give myself a D minus.
    When I do eat healthy I feel more revived.
    I've done been stressed and been binge eating.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,845 Member
    Options
    For me healthy has come to mean "less processed" Trying to stay away from packaged foods as much as I am able. More fruits & veggies, staying away from ground meats, as little as I can get away with in the way of "packaged" foods. No kind bars (thats easy I don't lime them) Instead go for some nuts or high priced cheese etc.
    So far we are 11 days in to a 60 day RV trip, and even with an average of a meal out every other day I believe I am down by a couple of pounds. I will find out when I weigh in at a local ww center In asheville NC in a few hours.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    A lot my topics are really about the Motivation and Support board. Folks come on there every day with a head of steam going to charge into the gym and eat healthy.
    Then someone suggests a food scale and they’re gone.

I think of myself as being funneled into healthy (healthier) eating. When I started WW men and women got the same # of points. If I was going to make it, I needed volume for the points. That put me deep into fresh fruit and veggies, lean protein and helpful grains aka oatmeal, and brown rice.

Recall the rap on WW when I started was that it didn’t require healthy eating. You could take your dailies and eat a Big Mac and order of fries. But no one considered how someone could live like that. I sure couldn’t.

More recently I started looking into inflammation. Now I rarely eat bottled salad dressing and have added olive oil every day. I’ve made a point of adding avocado. This week I started making my own protein bars to get rid of Nature’s Valley on the grounds that it’s processed.

I give myself a B.

Weight loss is about a calorie deficit we can live with. I think volume is the way to go. Volume seems to incorporate healthier.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,075 Member
    Options
    Pretty high grade overall. I start my day with a veggie omelet and eat veggies for dinner along w lean protein. I could eat more nuts and fruit but otherwise decent.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,941 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Are you concerned about “eating healthy?”

Yes very concerned. I am concerned enough to see a Registered Nutritionist once a month. The main object is to eat healthy and balanced. Portion control for me is for losing weight. So I'm on a journey.

What is it? If you were going to grade yourself, what grade would you get for eating healthy? If you got a high grade, how did you get it? A low grade, what needs to change?

I would currently grade my self a "B" because there are items that I eat out that I cannot control their contents. DW and I have made a point for years to not eat processed food but sometimes it's difficult because of deli meats for sandwiches. We however hardly ever break open a can but do so on occassions.

What does eating healthy have to do with weight loss?

For me a lot. It means staying heathy as possible by eating healthy as possible. It also means that eating a balanced meal help to keep my caloric and point count in balance. Do I flub up? You bet but just keep plugging away.
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Last question first:

What does eating healthy have to do with weight loss? 80%, apparently. 😄 For me, eating healthy is foundational for weight loss. Exercise is important for me to have a healthy lifestyle, but for weight loss, I need to develop a solid plan that I *want* to follow for my life.

Am I concerned about “eating healthy?” Yes, especially now that my doctor says I have high blood pressure. I feel like I’ve been “kind of” working my plan for a couple/few years, and the blood pressure issue is letting me know that this pattern isn’t working.

What is it? For me, healthy eating includes some “unhealthy” foods, but in moderation. Healthy eating involves perspective and mindfulness.

If you were going to grade yourself, what grade would you get for eating healthy? C-

What needs to change? Developing more mindfulness, especially when eating out. Last night, DW and I went to a favorite restaurant. I noticed that she stopped eating about halfway through. I took the time to “step back” and realize I was full enough, and chose to stop. That’s a huge healthy step for me.