Black Friday

Options
gewel321
gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
I posted this on anther board but I wanted to get you guys input.

I am going to participate in the chaos that is Black Friday this year. I know that I will be up and moving and possibly fighting my way through the crowds.

My question is how do I log this exercise so that I get credit for it? I have an apple watch but it doesn't track exercise well unless I put in a workout.

Replies

• merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    ha, probably best to just call it "walking"
  • gewel321
    Options
    merph518 wrote: »
    ha, probably best to just call it "walking"

I thought about that but do I say doing that for 5-6 hours? Seems a bit excessive and not at all accurate lol
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Track it as a workout on your watch (if possible), see what the calories burned there are -- find an equivalent amount of walking to meet that calorie total on here?

Personally, I don't worry about calorie burn accuracy all that much since I don't eat back exercise calories.
  • dembkogirl
    dembkogirl Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Do you have something that tracks your steps, or calories burned? If you log it just as straight time I would probably put an hour max walking if you do several hours shopping, I feel like a huge chunk of black friday ends up being standing still waiting in lines, or still while looking at items.
  • gewel321
    Options
    dembkogirl wrote: »
    Do you have something that tracks your steps, or calories burned? If you log it just as straight time I would probably put an hour max walking if you do several hours shopping, I feel like a huge chunk of black friday ends up being standing still waiting in lines, or still while looking at items.

yeah I have an iwatch. It tracks calories burned and steps. I don't like how it talks to MFP though. My calories always say I burn way more than what MFP reports. Steps are pretty accurate .So I may take the calories that my watch says I burned and apply them to a "walk" in MFP.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    @gewel321 Apple Watch and MFP track calories different. I use Pacer as an intermediary between my watch and MFP. It's still not perfect, but then again, nothing is. It does give me more accurate numbers because Pacer (app) translates the way Apple Watch is tracking energy to what MFP records.

Good luck!
  • tiffany80802017
    tiffany80802017 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use an Apple Watch too. It generally logs fast walking as exercise in the green circle - even if not in a workout. You could also compare your active kcal, or Move kcal, for the day to a prior day with minimal activity, there should be a large difference with a lot of walking. For me, I see a large difference on Move, and to a lesser extent on Exercise mins, when I walk ~10k steps vs a day with a lot of walking and ~18k steps - even if workout mins the same.

Could also use the indoor walk in the workout app, but if there’s a lot of lines I could see that getting annoying, or potential for it to pause, with the pop-ups asking if you’re still working out :)
  • gewel321
    Options
    I just took the calories my watch said I burned and equated that with a walk to make it close. We walked and shopped and drove for 14 hours! This girl is pooped!