Benefits of Veganizing my LCHF diet

Options
tsazani
tsazani Posts: 830 Member
edited January 2019 in Social Groups
I "veganized" my LCHF diet by adding 1 cup of beans per day and substituting olive oil for butter. "Good fats" for supposedly "bad fats". Right now my diet is approximately 40% OK vegan and keto. 40% anti-vegan. 20% anti-keto.

The beans solved the inherent constipation many of us suffer on a LCHF diet but at a cost. Before beans I ate about 35 g carbs per day. With beans I'm over 80 g. But NO constipation whatsoever.

Another benefit of the beans (and the extra carbs) is that my carb craving has practically disappeared. Before beans I would commit "carbocide" one or two days a week. Now almost never.

The downside is that my blood sugars run a bit higher I'm a type 2 diabetic.

Replies

• 2019deavall
    2019deavall Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sorry i can't help on that one.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into veggies that are lower carb but high in magnesium? Lack of magnesium is a primary cause of constipation. I have to take supplements and I consume it in my foods as well. My husband has the opposite issue and can't handle any magnesium supplementation.

If the beans are helping with both issues, not as hungry and no constipation, but rising BS numbers, try doing a 20-30 min. walk or other light form of exercise after you eat and before checking the no. at 2 hrs. after eating. My husband does that and he is able to eat oatmeal and some other higher carb foods, he is T2D and manages it with food and exercise.

I have a real life friend who eats vegan and is on a low carb version, it has worked very well with her.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    How is your new eating plan doing @tsazni?
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Legumes get a bad rap from the low-carb proponents.

Beans and other legumes are a "good" carb, and, when combined with a whole grain like brown rice, are a complete protein.

Yeah on the face of it they are higher in carbs, but your experience is proof of the benefits.

And olive oil helps lubricate things. ;)

And if you've eliminated other "bad" carbs (white bread, white rice, blah blah blah) and your numbers are good, and you feel great then... yay you.

I am rarely constipated, but a nice bowl of lentil soup and big serving of broccoli takes care of that situation.

I just have to use common sense instead of getting overly obsessed about 'counting' carbs. I'm more of a "let's eat moderately from all the food groups" kind of person. If I am told that I can't eat this or that...if I am limited in my choices.. I get cranky, lack motivation and fall into depression.

(I'm not putting myself out here as an example of successful weight loss.. far from it,
    But some of the low-carb-regimens seem extreme, to the point of actually being unhealthy.

JMHO)

• retirehappy
    Options
    Glad to hear being more plant based is working well for you.

I do eat what some call lazy keto and I call LowCarbHealthyFat, up to 50 grams because of the reasons Cris mentioned, if I can't have something, then that is exactly what I want. Mostly I have cut out foods higher in sugars and all the grains. When I do need more magnesium it is when I have had more of the fibery plants for a few days. So I supplement and go more towards true keto 20g. and I get cleared out. We are all different.

I actually considered doing carnivore but I just love greens way to much to ever give them up and raspberries, chocolate and wine are not leaving my life, period.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    So how is it going? Still seeing good results?
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    i take 400mg of magnesium daily and no constipation, low carb around 100 gr a day works good for me.
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I also take magnesium, 250 mg in the evening. Fasting also tends to cause constipation and the magnesium helps me sleep as well. My husband is an insulin dependent diabetic and he started fasting with an 8 hour window almost two years ago. He has lost 80 lbs and gone from 150 units of insulin total for the day to 70. We both eat probably about 100-150 gms of carbs per day, though I really don't count it anymore. I am on Paleo AIP and that pretty well takes care of the carbs.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    DreamOn145. Wow so glad your DH has lost and is doing ok. It sounds like both of you are improving your health these days.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone in the USA.