Number of fat cells make it harder to lose weight

Options
l4a_p
l4a_p Posts: 241 Member
edited November 2019 in Social Groups
I thought this was a very interesting article so thought I'd share:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-superhuman-mind/201808/what-s-your-fat-cell-number

Summary:
Number of fat cells are (partly) genetically determined and consistent after childhood
More fat cells => certain amount of fat divided over more cells => fat cells are thus not full => increase hunger and fatstorage tendencies aka the body fights to try and gain weight and fill up all the fat cells

TL;DR Life is unfair :pensive:

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Article pretty much agrees with other research I've read regarding fat cells but digs into it a little more. Basically, overweight children are going to have a much tougher go of it, because their body will be set to that kind of "level" and their hunger cues are probably going to be "off" the rest of their life.

Interesting about the antioxidants perhaps helping delete our dead fat cells (rather than the body replacing them). I think that could be pretty important for people who've lost the weight, kept it off for a bit, but are still struggling with hunger cues. Would be interesting to see more research on that side of things since I was already aware that losing meant we still had the cells, they just weren't "full."
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I finally had a minute to read this today - it's pretty interesting. It did make me wonder about the antioxidants as well.
  • booksnbrains
    booksnbrains Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is definitely consistent with other research regarding adipose cell count. It makes me very curious about weight loss or weight loss support strategies that can induce autophagy in adipose cells.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Very interesting read. It makes sense that kids who are overweight struggle with it for the rest of their lives. Unless they do something about it.
  • francesca_grey
    francesca_grey Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was overweight as a teenager, lost it and spent my twenties fighting to not gain it all back. It took around 10 years for my body to establish a new lower set point — I wonder if that’s because a certain number of fat cells finally died by then?
  • PunkinsAunt
    PunkinsAunt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just tried Coolsculpting for one of my problem areas. They said that it kills off up to 25% of your fat cells in the area treated and they won't come back - I'm interested in whether anyone else tried this and what their experience was.
  • BrittanyGQ
    BrittanyGQ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Interesting read! Sounds consistent with other research like others have mentioned. Personally I’ve been overweight my entire life and obviously the fat loss struggle is real. I’ve been within the same 15 pound range ever since I was about 12-13 (and same 5’2.5” height lol) and I’m now 32. Every time I lose 10 pounds, I get INSANELY hungry and gain it all back, which I where I’m at now. 😥 time to load up on resveratrol and hopefully kill these fat cells!!!! 😂😂
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    l4a_p wrote: »
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-superhuman-mind/201808/what-s-your-fat-cell-number

Summary:
    Number of fat cells are (partly) genetically determined and consistent after childhood
    More fat cells => certain amount of fat divided over more cells => fat cells are thus not full => increase hunger and fatstorage tendencies aka the body fights to try and gain weight and fill up all the fat cells

Liposuction! It's the only way!😫
  • l4a_p
    l4a_p Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Summary:

@thechiopodist and even then there is no agreement on whether they stay away or the body replenishes them to get back to the status quo
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Summary:

@thechiopodist and even then there is no agreement on whether they stay away or the body replenishes them to get back to the status quo

Aaaaarrgh!😫