No meat or dairy keto

Options
I am working to reach a goal of 9 pounds in three weeks and I have been avoiding keto because I am mostly plant based. Does anyone have any helpful advice on howntondo keto while excluding meat and also dairy due to lactose intolerance? I don't mind including eggs but do not want to add a lot of oils to my diet.

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It's difficult but doable. If you are okay with including eggs and fish, then all the better. You will be focusing on a lot of meat alternative plant based foods for protein, and fibrous vegetables to maintain low net carbs.

Though, if you're going to crash diet, while it's not adviseable for various reasons, you might want to follow a psmf approach.
  • kaikeiki
    kaikeiki Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am working to reach a goal of 9 pounds in three weeks and I have been avoiding keto because I am mostly plant based. Does anyone have any helpful advice on howntondo keto while excluding meat and also dairy due to lactose intolerance? I don't mind including eggs but do not want to add a lot of oils to my diet.

There is a possible Mediterranean keto diet..base on fish
    And fat cheese ...good luck!
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Leanne Vogel from healthfulpursuit.com has a blog post on vegetarian vega keto with recipes and possibly more if you search her website. I’ve included a link. Hopefully it works. I suck at links. Lol

https://www.healthfulpursuit.com/roundup/keto-vegan-vegetarian-recipes/
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hi @carolgrimes217. I feel your woes!

I eat a vega smoothie every day with a tbsp of coconut oil, 2 tbsp pb2, half cup yellow squash, 2 tsp cacao nibs, 1 tsp flax meal, 1 tsp hemp seed, half cup unsweetened almond milk, and half cup water and ice. I add some erythritol if I want some sweet to it, as I buy unsweetened unflavored vega powder (but there are lots of flavored options with stevia). 9 net carbs and fuels me for most of the day.

Coconut and avocado oils are your friends. You can pair these with whatever protein replacement is your cup of tea.

Avocado in general is a great way to get your fat in.

It is very hard (impossible?) to stay around 20g of carbs if you are relying on things like red lentils, beans, and quinoa to get your protein. Most complete proteins in vegan foods are only found in combining the high carb guys, like those I just mentioned. Seitan (gluten protein) is delicious, but can have high net carbs, and doesn't work for folks who are gluten free, plus it's not a complete protein. Tofu (2 net carbs/serving) and TVP (3 net carbs/serving) are both complete, but they're soy and some people cannot tolerate that amount of soy.

Many prepackaged meat substitutes are high in sugar. Check labels.

As a result of all the hoops I had to jump through to go low-carb, high fat, moderate protein while being vegan/vegetarian, I started eating meat again. But I still like to eat my vegan smoothie every morning, because my body does not like meat first thing in the morning.

Hope this helps you!
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Flax Tempeh from Whole Foods fits nicely in the keto-plant based macro. If you are near a Publix there is a veggie burger in the vegetarian area that is high fiber as well. The nice thing about being plant based is you can easily be more low carb vs strict keto and still dip into keto benefit levels due to the high fiber. I've easily recorded ketosis on a blood meter as high as 70 net carbs with activity.
  • xxjjttff
    xxjjttff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I especially agree with qweck3 and ploomka above. Eat "fat" vegetables (like avacados) and nuts, but I really can't see how you'll reach the goals without adding MCT oils or coconut oil. I'd definitely allow in the "allowable" nuts, like macadamias. Make some nice pizzas with almond flour or cauliflower and fatty vegetables. Keep an eye on your salt, magnesium, and potassium for your health.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You can use coconut cream in place of heavy cream for chia pudding or some other creamy dessert. It can be whipped too
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    @cgcrutch nice idea. I'm gonna try this!